Is it really THAT bad to yank an ice box?

Back when I was a kid in the '70s and truck culture was at it's peak (Smokey and the Bandit, CW McCall - Convoy, etc), every kid I knew that wanted to "be a trucker when I grow up" wanted to drive one of these:

View attachment 48510
View attachment 48511View attachment 48512
And every trucker knew what the "Monfort Lane" was all about.

It blows my mind how most truckers these days don't seem to have ever heard of the Monfort/McLean lanes.
It was useful in the day when you could keep that pace up safely, and the bears didn't care to interfere. There was some douchebag on I10 yesterday with a load of boats trying that in heavy traffic. He passed me 3 times, I was just keeping a moderate, steady pace.

:dunno:

There's no point in risking an accident and/or major traffic ticket, if you're stopping all the time.

Back when I was a kid in the '70s and truck culture was at it's peak (Smokey and the Bandit, CW McCall - Convoy, etc), every kid I knew that wanted to "be a trucker when I grow up" wanted to drive one of these:

View attachment 48510
View attachment 48511View attachment 48512
That was back when the Hammer lane was called the Monfort lane. My dad tells stories that monfort would pay your speeding fines to turn runs. And who ever had a legal log book back then! LOL get you some black beauties and hammer down.

That was back when the Hammer lane was called the Monfort lane. My dad tells stories that monfort would pay your speeding fines to turn runs. And who ever had a legal log book back then! LOL get you some black beauties and hammer down.
That's exactly right. There was no reciprocity between states or driving record central databanks back then...a speeding ticket was nothing more than an added cost that Monfort was happy to pay.
I mentioned something to a truck customer the other day about the Monfort lane and he said "Is that down past the 322 bypass?", lol.

We also drove with chauffeurs licences, you weren't restricted to one license from one state, and the states didn't trade information on what a bad boy you'd been in their jurisdiction.

The roads were relatively empty of traffic too.

I remember once hauling swinging beef (1/2s not this 1/4 bs they do today and you had to hang the hooks they weren’t tracked in with rollers) with my dad out to California, he worked for an O/O but we got the load through a broker. We had to draw cardboard signs and tape them on the door with a different MC and ICC number on them so we could drive through Arizona or New Mexico, I don’t remember which. And some states we had to get a card board tag with a number on it and tape it in the passenger windshield.

It was useful in the day when you could keep that pace up safely, and the bears didn't care to interfere. There was some douchebag on I10 yesterday with a load of boats trying that in heavy traffic. He passed me 3 times, I was just keeping a moderate, steady pace.

:dunno:

There's no point in risking an accident and/or major traffic ticket, if you're stopping all the time.
Exactly right! Sliver Jesus from Shipping wars must have passed me 4-5 times in Connecticut. Inability to read traffic patterns.
How do I know it was Silver Jesus? He had Arby's team on his hotshot trailer. It caught my attention. Sure enough, Silver Jesus. R.I.P.

Back in the 90's when it was all about how fast your truck could go and drivers would post on their hood what was under the hood. You might find yourself in a 90 MPH convoy passing all the 55mph Union boys.
The Po-lease might catch a straggler on the back door but front door and rocking chairs just carried on.

Like it was posted above, There was no CSA or state reciprocity. So the ticket was just the cost of doing bidnass.

Back in the 90's when it was all about how fast your truck could go and drivers would post on their hood what was under the hood. You might find yourself in a 90 MPH convoy passing all the 55mph Union boys.
The Po-lease might catch a straggler on the back door but front door and rocking chairs just carried on.

Like it was posted above, There was no CSA or state reciprocity. So the ticket was just the cost of doing bidnass.
...and it was reasonably safe to operate that way. Ten years later, we party like it's 1999, and traffic density is so high driving like that makes you a public menace. Now we have idjits that watch 70's trucker movies, and think they can get away with that.

I still run that way. I think NY and MI can reciprocate, so I behave in those states a bit more. Otherwise a speeding ticket is just a business writeoff

I don’t know how people can stand being governed to 65 in Ontario. WAY too many window lickers that can’t drive clogging up the 401. I’ll pass on the left or the right just stay put so I can get around you

I don’t know how people can stand being governed to 65 in Ontario. WAY too many window lickers that can’t drive clogging up the 401. I’ll pass on the left or the right just stay put so I can get around you
It's very painful but not nearly as painful as being dumbed down in Wyoming or Nebraska.

I've sworn off pulling reefers three times and the last time I meant it. I've wasted enough of my time and experienced enough frustration at grocery warehouses to last a lifetime. That in addition to meatpackers and other food producers who can never get trailers loaded in time but expect the delivery to be made on time no matter how late they finished loading the trailer. Add in the fact that many times when you deliver in large cities the places you have to go are in the absolute worst part of town.
No thanks, I've had enough.

I've spent about 3 years now toting a refrigerator and I've found that most of the time if you walk in with a good attitude and stay civil, it usually gets you in and out quicker. Even when you encounter one of those clerks with a grudge against the world, usually if your friendly they become to baffled to snap at you. This doesn't work all the time but a great majority of the time it does. Also, how patient and quiet you are while awaiting a door assignment can have a great effect on how long you sit in a door and how long you wait for paperwork. Also I go in somewhat dressed from the old days, I wear a button up long or short sleeve shirt, usually with the company logo because those are tax deductible lol, jeans and boots. I know it's stupid, but I have seen guys go in in a stained t-shirt wearing flip flops and you can literally watch the clerk roll their eyes and bristle for an argument. Don't get me wrong, I sometimes wait of course, but a good amount of time I'm in and out before the guy ahead of me even gets a door. Just something to consider. Your always going to have those folks you couldn't please walking in handing them a bar of gold, but you can make things better for yourself most of the time.

I've spent about 3 years now toting a refrigerator and I've found that most of the time if you walk in with a good attitude and stay civil, it usually gets you in and out quicker. Even when you encounter one of those clerks with a grudge against the world, usually if your friendly they become to baffled to snap at you. This doesn't work all the time but a great majority of the time it does. Also, how patient and quiet you are while awaiting a door assignment can have a great effect on how long you sit in a door and how long you wait for paperwork. Also I go in somewhat dressed from the old days, I wear a button up long or short sleeve shirt, usually with the company logo because those are tax deductible lol, jeans and boots. I know it's stupid, but I have seen guys go in in a stained t-shirt wearing flip flops and you can literally watch the clerk roll their eyes and bristle for an argument. Don't get me wrong, I sometimes wait of course, but a good amount of time I'm in and out before the guy ahead of me even gets a door. Just something to consider. Your always going to have those folks you couldn't please walking in handing them a bar of gold, but you can make things better for yourself most of the time.
Yup... its hard for them ta hate on ya when you have a big smile on your face.

There is no stigma. I pulled reefers for 20 years and never got tired of it. Ran all over the country.
20 years? :stare1:

In ALL that time you never found some ambition to better yourself? I mean maybe that was your sunset gig or something?

20 years pulling a reefer.....that’s like the movie Groundhog Day....the nightmare never stops....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread