Is California Really Enforcing CARB Regulations

Uncle Birchy

Life Coach
Supposedly in California your truck must be 07 & Newer or "retro-fitted" with DPF...

YET out in California I saw a "bleep" Load of OLD Junky Trucks rolling around even "idling"...

My understanding is a DPF retro fit costs about 10/15k....

Are ya telling me on a Junky truck that goes for 10/12k that they really spent that much for a "retrofit"

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Supposedly in California your truck must be 07 & Newer or "retro-fitted" with DPF...

YET out in California I saw a "bleep" Load of OLD Junky Trucks rolling around even "idling"...

My understanding is a DPF retro fit costs about 10/15k....

Are ya telling me on a Junky truck that goes for 10/12k that they really spent that much for a "retrofit"
Some of those trucks are grandfathered in - agricultural businesses. There is also a 5,000-mile exemption for out of state trucks.

As I recall.

Ranger_375

You can also pay for a temp access permit...which has like a 1000 mile limit, and nobody checking...just income for the state.

ready to roll

I ain't got no panties
Cali gave an extension for compliance to drivers with old trucks if they cant secure a loan for a newer truck or a retro fit. A retro fit costs $15,000 on avg i hear.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
That's if the truck can have a DPF added. Its not a foregone conclusion. If the engine is worn out enough that it produces a lot of soot - i.e., burns a lot of oil, putting a DPF on it will do little good since it will clog up in a short time.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
Perhaps you'd rather breathe the crud that would be called "air" without limiting pollution in Los Angeles?
I've been in and out of LA most of my life. I remember when I was a child, I could see the mountains from my grandmother's house in Anaheim. When I flew into LAX in 1995, there was a brown layer over the whole area. But I could still see the mountains.

Today, after almost 50 years of CARB, you can't see the mountains at all.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I've been in and out of LA most of my life. I remember when I was a child, I could see the mountains from my grandmother's house in Anaheim. When I flew into LAX in 1995, there was a brown layer over the whole area. But I could still see the mountains.

Today, after almost 50 years of CARB, you can't see the mountains at all.
So you're saying cleaning up exhaust emissions is putting more pollution into the air? I'd say its note a case of the vastly larger numbers of vehicles on the roads in those 50 years.

BTW... the fines are the stick in the carrot and stick approach to compliance. Y'all think anyone would do anything about it if they just said, "Pretty Please?"

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
So you're saying cleaning up exhaust emissions is putting more pollution into the air? I'd say its note a case of the vastly larger numbers of vehicles on the roads in those 50 years.

BTW... the fines are the stick in the carrot and stick approach to compliance. Y'all think anyone would do anything about it if they just said, "Pretty Please?"
I'm saying their policies and rules aren't working. My own observations. I remember being able to see stars at night in my grandmother's back yard. Now, I can barely see the moon when I'm visiting my mother in the same area. The air has gotten dirtier, not cleaner. It stinks of exhaust and filth everywhere. When I was a child, it smelled of orange groves and hay.

Meanwhile, the little guys who can't afford more than the old beater trucks they're driving are being placed out of business and given the options of being on welfare or working for a big corporation.

Again. How is this beneficial to small business? That was my question.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I'm saying their policies and rules aren't working. My own observations. I remember being able to see stars at night in my grandmother's back yard. Now, I can barely see the moon when I'm visiting my mother in the same area. The air has gotten dirtier, not cleaner. It stinks of exhaust and filth everywhere. When I was a child, it smelled of orange groves and hay.

Meanwhile, the little guys who can't afford more than the old beater trucks they're driving are being placed out of business and given the options of being on welfare or working for a big corporation.

Again. How is this beneficial to small business? That was my question.
Cost of doing business ala California.

The air would be immeasurably worse without emmisions controls.

Uncle Birchy

Life Coach

Looks like the cost of doing Buisness ANYWHERE now considering that the EPA had mandated DPF emissions control since 2010...

Sure there's "GLIDER" Kits for now but eventually those will be BANNED too atleast "legitimately"

Duck

Quack
Supporter

They built a giant city in an area where weather patterns and a mountain range trap the smog so it never gets blown out to sea.

That's the problem. And it's something they never would have known when the city was founded.

On the rare days when there's no wind in Chicago, you can see the same crap hovering over the city from a distance.

The only solution for Los Angeles is to relocate probably half or more of the population. And that's politically impossible.

krelithous

Supporter
They built a giant city in an area where weather patterns and a mountain range trap the smog so it never gets blown out to sea.

That's the problem. And it's something they never would have known when the city was founded.

On the rare days when there's no wind in Chicago, you can see the same crap hovering over the city from a distance.

The only solution for Los Angeles is to relocate probably half or more of the population. And that's politically impossible.
and how is this impossible:confused-96:. they can deport all of the illegals instead of giving em drivers licences and everything for free:stare1:. and we can put the goverment officials on a rocket ship and send there asses out to space

Duck

Quack
Supporter
and how is this impossible:confused-96:. they can deport all of the illegals instead of giving em drivers licences and everything for free:stare1:. and we can put the goverment officials on a rocket ship and send there asses out to space
I said it's politically impossible.

krelithous

Supporter
I said it's politically impossible.
i'm not a democrat nor a republican!!! i'm a common sense progressive!!!