International 4300 questions

networkrob

I recently bought my first truck. It is a 2003 Int'l 4300 straight truck with a Dt466, air brakes and suspension. I have a few questions about it. First there is no switch inside the cab that I see for dumping the air in the air springs. How do I do that? Secondly, I see that I have two fault codes that display on the dash. How do I figure out what they indicate? Third, and finally, being in Minnesota I have to plug it in at night most of the year. Last week it was minus 15 when I went to start it. It didn't start even though the tanks were full and it was plugged in. How/where do I check to make sure the heater(s) are working? Is it a block heater or ?

For the block heater, when it is that cold, it is pretty easy to tell if the block heater is working. If the truck will barely turn over when you go to start it, good chance the heater isn't working. Most times, that plug in works to maintain the engine and coolant from freezing, as well as keeping the electrical system charged. When you start the truck up in those cold temperatures, is the air from your heater slightly warm at all?

As for the air dump, I don't know how you would go about adding this on since it didn't come equipped from the factory. Maybe somebody else can help there.

When it was below zero last week, the motor turned over, but just never fired up. Eventually the batteries went dead. By jump starting it, it got close to starting, but never stayed running for more than a second or two. I had it towed to the dealer not too far away and once it got inside and warmed up it was fine.

I've never felt slightly warm air out of the heater. It's hard to feel the difference between minus 15 degree air and zero degree air when you're dressed like an eskimo. I'll try today though.

The air springs are Goodyear's. Is there some way of manually dumping the air since there is no cab control?

I recently bought my first truck. It is a 2003 Int'l 4300 straight truck with a Dt466, air brakes and suspension. I have a few questions about it. First there is no switch inside the cab that I see for dumping the air in the air springs. How do I do that?
don't do it.....
if there aren't any dump valves, it was built that way..........

Secondly, I see that I have two fault codes that display on the dash. How do I figure out what they indicate?
simple.....you need a mechanics reapir manual. you should check out all the owner's manuals that came with the truck. you can order a "mechanics repair manual", NOT A GENERIC at a parts store.....but, expect to pay over $100 for the manual. then, the fault codes "might" be in that manual, otherwise, you'd nee to buy yet another "mechanics manual" specific to fault codes. again, price's are high.

Third, and finally, being in Minnesota I have to plug it in at night most of the year. Last week it was minus 15 when I went to start it. It didn't start even though the tanks were full and it was plugged in. How/where do I check to make sure the heater(s) are working? Is it a block heater or ?

the "block heater" as YOU CALLED it, is probably working, but then too you need to realize that the engine (for best results) should have just been shut down after a long day of work. the "block heater" usually maintains the temp from there. if foe instance, the truck was sitting for a day, never used, and then you plug in the heater, it'll take a very long time for it to reach the temperature needed to keep things warm. these devices don't always last long by the way.

your fuel is cold too, sitting out there. you might be in serious need of tank heaters as well. you said "once it was in the shop and warmed up, it started"....there you go, cold fuel, maybe even slighlty gelled.

use Howe's diesel fuel products.

When it was below zero last week, the motor turned over, but just never fired up. Eventually the batteries went dead. By jump starting it, it got close to starting, but never stayed running for more than a second or two. I had it towed to the dealer not too far away and once it got inside and warmed up it was fine.
possible slightly gelled fuel, at least it was very cold fuel, the cranking never got the fuel hot enough to keep it running. instal tank heaters as well.

I've never felt slightly warm air out of the heater. It's hard to feel the difference between minus 15 degree air and zero degree air when you're dressed like an eskimo. I'll try today though.
the engine block heater can only do so much. at those temps, unless the truck was driveen/worked for several hours, the block heater itself will never get the coolant temps up, without possibly destroying itself.

The air springs are Goodyear's. Is there some way of manually dumping the air since there is no cab control?

goodyear, firestone, don't matter.
who ever ordered that truck, didn't have it installed, OR that particualr truck for its size, or whatever else, may not require this dump valve. if you really want a dump valve, go to the dealer for OEM parts and installation, or go to a very reputable mechanic.

expect to pay some big buck-a-roo's..............

Okay, Pro1, I'll check out tank heaters and use Howe's products. I think I'll pass on the mechanics repair manual unless I can find one cheap on Amazon. The air dump isn't a big deal either, I had just heard that if you have air springs there should be a dump valve somewhere.

I am still curious about the "block heater". If it isn't a block heater, what is it actually heating, where is it located, etc.? Come Spring I can dig into everything better, but at 50 years old I don't care for doing exploratory work crawling around on a sub zero driveway.

Okay, Pro1, I'll check out tank heaters and use Howe's products. I think I'll pass on the mechanics repair manual unless I can find one cheap on Amazon. The air dump isn't a big deal either, I had just heard that if you have air springs there should be a dump valve somewhere.

I am still curious about the "block heater". If it isn't a block heater, what is it actually heating, where is it located, etc.? Come Spring I can dig into everything better, but at 50 years old I don't care for doing exploratory work crawling around on a sub zero driveway.

no, you don't understand...............

if you went to "amazon" for any repair manual..........you will be getting a "generic" manual...........not a "factory" or "mechanic manual".............

you want the FACTORY MANUAL (mechanics manual), as this is complete....

the "generic manuals are for quick jobs, and DO NOT delve into anything major that is needed for diagnostics or repairs.

do as you wish, however...............

To re-emphasize what Pro1 said, if you dont have air suspension controls in the cab, that truck is not equipped to "dump" the air from the air springs. Just as a side note, I can't imagine why a straight truck would need such a feature.

And again as Pro1 said on the manuals, you would only want to purchase a manual produced by Int'l that is specific for your make and model of truck.

Before purchasing one though, it never hurts to call the place where you bought it and ask as many questions as you can. They may even be able to give you the name and number of the previous owner. Another item of interest would be whether the previous owners kept any maintenance records. These can be quite enlightening about add-ons and extras that you come across on your truck. Also, some dealers are really service oriented and will help a driver learn the in's and out's of their truck. The thought is that by trying to help you with the simply stuff, they build good report with you and you will be back for the services that require a trained technician. So utilize them as much as you can.

Good luck!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread