I'm contacting various truck manufacturers to tell them how to build safer vehicles.

Sam McCloud

My message looks something like this:

Product Safety Concerns

All of your production tractors with sleeper berths should come with sleeper berth side doors for both driver safety and convenience. A small kick-out window does not make for an easy injury-free emergency exit. Sleeper berth side doors make for easy loading of personal gear and supplies for the driver and make for a much safer sleeping environment more importantly.

A possible fire in the front of the cab interior (such as caused by an electrical overload in the dash) could trap a driver inside the sleeper area unless there is an easy escape avenue from the sleeper berth area.

Furthermore, truck cabs/berths should also have standard factory smoke detection and CO detection equipment for added safety. Sleeping and working drivers in vehicle interiors need to be warned immediately in case of carbon monoxide or smoke/fire hazards.

I would also like to see excellent standard cab rollover protection equipment as roll cages since vehicle rollover (often resulting in crushed cabs) is the number one killer of truck drivers in accidents. How would you like to be crushed to death in your truck cab or burn to death in your sleeper for a mere lack of advanced warning or easy escape routes?

My hats off to PACCAR (Kenworth/Peterbilt) for at least having safe-and-convenient sleeper side doors.

Conscientious motor vehicle manufacturers should take extra steps above and beyond what the current federal/state motor vehicle safety laws and regulations require.

I'm planning to contact my federal elected officials, DOT and OSHA and express my concerns about the many loopholes still in overall trucker health and safety.

Are there any American lobby groups for truck drivers?

American trucking association

I'm emailing ATA right now to tell them I'm considering a new driving career and to express my concerns about safety and health loopholes I still perceive in this industry. I will ask ATA what they are doing to help improve this and what can professional drivers do themselves to make their jobs more conducive to a life health and safety.

I'm emailing ATA right now to tell them I'm considering a new driving career and to express my concerns about safety and health loopholes I still perceive in this industry. I will ask ATA what they are doing to help improve this and what can professional drivers do themselves to make their jobs more conducive to a life health and safety.
I’ll email the President to try to help out. I got your 6

an obvious troll.

Better to be a troll than an unnecessary death statistic. I wouldn't dare not ever wear a seatbelt and I hope to God every company rig provides those in proper working order. More than half of American truck driver on-duty-vehicle-accident-related deaths result from vehicle rollover. A fully loaded truck is ten times as likely to overturn as an empty rig but empty rigs take longer to safely brake to a stop and are more likely to skid on slippery roads. Sadly, those cabs can crush like a beer can during a rollover. I want this childish macho-he-man redneck mentality to stop in this profession at once.

Better to be a troll than an unnecessary death statistic. I wouldn't dare not ever wear a seatbelt and I hope to God every company rig provides those in proper working order. More than half of American truck driver on-duty-vehicle-accident-related deaths result from vehicle rollover. A fully loaded truck is ten times as likely to overturn as an empty rig but empty rigs take longer to safely brake to a stop and are more likely to skid on slippery roads. Sadly, those cabs can crush like a beer can during a rollover. I want this childish macho-he-man redneck mentality to stop in this profession at once.
a truck is more likely to roll over due to the drivers input.

trucks do not roll over "just because"...

Yes crushing absorbs impact. And if the driver is wearing the belt when it happens he has a 90% chance of survival so we are back to not wearing a seat belt the #1

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread