Trucking News: Illinois State Police keep 'slow-roll' truck driver protesters from heading for Trump Tower

Mike

The group, which advertised the event as a “truckers shutdown,” was asking for changes in federal trucking regulations, including work hour flexibility, making the use of electronic logging devices optional and better training for truck inspectors, according to a flyer for the group.

Federal regulations put in place in late 2017 require truckers to use electronic logs to record their driving hours and limit how long they can be on the road. Some drivers, including those involved in the protest Friday, want the regulations rolled back to give truckers more flexibility.

But federal regulators have tightened driving hours and the ways in which long-distance truckers’ time is tracked because of high-profile incidents involving tired truckers. In one crash near Channahon in 2014, a driver who admitted to falsifying his log killed five people when his truck, going 65 mph on cruise control, entered an Interstate 55 construction zone where traffic was going 5 mph.

After being blocked from entering downtown Friday, the truckers continued north on the expressway in the direction of O’Hare International Airport, according to Chicago Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi.

There were no disruptions, arrests or injuries, Guglielmi said. About 20 trucks were involved in the protest, which is too many to safely move through downtown, and vehicles that large aren’t allowed downtown, he said.

Police keep 'slow-roll' truck driver protesters from heading for Trump Tower

20 trucks on the day of the shutdown involved in the Chicago slow roll protest.

Blocked from going to their destination.

Industry gets slapped in the face with some negative press thanks to this demonstration
But federal regulators have tightened driving hours and the ways in which long-distance truckers’ time is tracked because of high-profile incidents involving tired truckers. In one crash near Channahon in 2014, a driver who admitted to falsifying his log killed five people when his truck, going 65 mph on cruise control, entered an Interstate 55 construction zone where traffic was going 5 mph.

Thanks guys, we needed that

Doesn't matter.

Every driver I talk to about ELD's and HOS are all about "me" and their personal freedom to choose when they can driver over a regulating government.

As I walk away, all I can do is thank them for more regulations.

I hope these folks are recognizing the trend of the news cycle now. The focus is turning to dangerous truck drivers and the perceived danger of this type of protest.

It was even on Fox News this morning and the focus was on the potential danger, not the cause.

Window of opportunity has closed for this.

Imagine where we'd be had the founders kept their mouths shut- oh wait, our country has become a comply or die state, exactly what the founders defined free as I'm sure- godvernment knows best- laws to punish "what if/might" turning non criminals into criminals- the American Way! American Exceptionalism!
Just wait these regs will seep into cars- mark my words.

The day use guys outlaw outlawing, well then I guess we’ll be outlaws

The free spirit is hard to stamp out. Look at prohibition. Booze was made illegal, so, free people took it upon themselves to supply the market. Johnny Law can outlaw anything under the sun....good luck enforcing it

The day use guys outlaw outlawing, well then I guess we’ll be outlaws

The free spirit is hard to stamp out. Look at prohibition. Booze was made illegal, so, free people took it upon themselves to supply the market. Johnny Law can outlaw anything under the sun....good luck enforcing it
Yes, this once potentially great Country has become a comply or die State- because "might, what if"- free spirits are considered less than human, derelict, etc. Of course the accusers refuse to see their hypocrisy in the "land of the free" never mind what they pledge, "liberty and justice for all"- why? American Exceptionalism.

Yes, this once potentially great Country has become a comply or die State- because "might, what if"- free spirits are considered less than human, derelict, etc. Of course the accusers refuse to see their hypocrisy in the "land of the free" never mind what they pledge, "liberty and justice for all"- why? American Exceptionalism.
This place goes round and round about USA HOS and ELDs. They blame outlaws for harsh regulations.

Yet, if more of them ran outlaw, the regulations wouldn’t matter.

Irony?

This place goes round and round about USA HOS and ELDs. They blame outlaws for harsh regulations.

Yet, if more of them ran outlaw, the regulations wouldn’t matter.

Irony?

Comes down to where you fit in withing this industry.

When it is your authority, you have lots of skin in the game and your livelihood depends on staying within the rules.

Driving for someone else, or leasing to someone else, worst case scenario is you get a fine, and get fired.

Comes down to where you fit in withing this industry.

When it is your authority, you have lots of skin in the game and your livelihood depends on staying within the rules.

Driving for someone else, or leasing to someone else, worst case scenario is you get a fine, and get fired.
I understand what you’re telling me.

In my experience the Man plays a crooked game. If you try to play the game by the rules, the Man finds a way to slap your pee pee.

So, since getting my pee pee slapped is preferably avoided.... we quit playing the Mans crooked game awhile ago.

I have actually had positive dealings with the Man south of the border, and I think they are MUCH better to get along with than Ontario’s revenue generators.
Ohio NY and PA excluded from that last statement :cautious:

worst case scenario is you get a fine, and get fired.
The worst case scenario is you get involved in a fatal accident - shit happens, and you have little control over when it heads your way. Compounded with running illegally, and you're headed for prison.

Just wait these regs will seep into cars- mark my words.

That should have happened a while ago.

Nothing at all stopping a workaholic from putting in 70 hours in the office then driving 6 hours Friday night to his weekend spot, drinking until 3am Saturday, then driving 6 hours back in Sunday.

We see it all the time In Wisconsin.

I don’t know that regs in these folks would change anything, and it’d probably hurt the people up here who depend on tourism, but the deterrent might make them less assholish...

Nothing at all stopping a workaholic from putting in 70 hours in the office then driving 6 hours Friday night to his weekend spot, drinking until 3am Saturday, then driving 6 hours back in Sunday.

I don’t know that regs in these folks would change anything, and it’d probably hurt the people up here who depend on tourism, but the deterrent might make them less assholish...
Careful what you wish for.

Impaired driving laws already exist. Just never enforced on the cars until someone is killed in a big way all plastered over the news.

Impaired driving laws already exist. Just never enforced on the cars until someone is killed in a big way all plastered over the news.
Well, not to be cold blooded, but, if no one is harmed has a crime been committed unless harm to another has occurred? Did a "law" prevent the harm?
A non violent actor who got caught is now a criminal because: Might happen. Could happen. Some others did.
Laws are meant to punish, not prevent- what they wind up doing is producing revenue and job justification.
So, in essence, laws can't punish because law writers (and LEO's) are more concerned with revenue from non violent criminals who were not harming- so why are they now criminals?

Well, not to be cold blooded, but, if no one is harmed has a crime been committed unless harm to another has occurred? Did a "law" prevent the harm?
A non violent actor who got caught is now a criminal because: Might happen. Could happen. Some others did.
Laws are meant to punish, not prevent- what they wind up doing is producing revenue and job justification.
So, in essence, laws can't punish because law writers (and LEO's) are more concerned with revenue from non violent criminals who were not harming- so why are they now criminals?

That's like saying if someone drives drunk and manages to make it home without hitting anything was a crime really comitted?

The answer is yes. Because violating rules for HOS or drunk driving can have dire consequences. The gov't tends to make risky behavior that endangers others lives illegal.

That's like saying if someone drives drunk and manages to make it home without hitting anything was a crime really comitted?

The answer is yes. Because violating rules for HOS or drunk driving can have dire consequences. The gov't tends to make risky behavior that endangers others lives illegal.
So if I don’t take my 30 minute break today like a good little trucker, I’ve broken the law?

Tell me how that endangers other people or myself

HOS are “suggestions”, nothing more nothing less. I don’t follow them to the letter and the world hasn’t stopped. Nobody says boo about log book violations so I don’t know what everyone’s so worried about. You can get as many as you want week in week out

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread