Illinois lawmakers considering uniform speed bill

Mike

Monday, Oct. 1, 2007 – Lawmakers in Illinois head back to the capitol this week for a special session that will focus on legislation vetoed by the governor. One bill expected to come up for consideration could bring an end to split speed limits in the state.

Gov. Rod Blagojevich used his veto stamp this summer on a bill that sought to eliminate slower speed limits on rural interstates for vehicles weighing more than 8,000 pounds. Currently, those vehicles are required to travel 10 mph below the 65 mph speed limit for other vehicles.

The vetoed bill – SB540 – would allow the Illinois Department of Transportation to increase large truck speeds to as much as 65 mph.

This spring marked the third time in recent years that House and Senate lawmakers sent a uniform speed limit bill to Blagojevich. As was the case with the previous efforts, the margin of support in both chambers this year was more than the two-thirds majority needed for a veto override. However, on the two previous attempts, some lawmakers who voted to abolish the split speed limit did not carry through when the governor vetoed the legislation.

In his veto message this time, the governor made it clear he doesn’t want trucks traveling at higher rates of speed.

“This bill compromises safety by allowing trucks to travel at higher speeds. I remain opposed to increasing the speed limit to 65 miles per hour for large trucks,” Blagojevich wrote.

Supporters of the bill cite federal statistics showing that split speed limits actually lead to more accidents.

more...

I live here and I will believe it only when it happens. The politcs always interfere.

Sometimes you can get away with 65 sometimes you can get away with 58.

I called the governors office about this. I told how I do business in Illinois but do not live there so I have some basic questions about the governor, it went like this:

"Ok, first I would like to know, can th governor read?"

"Yes."

"Does he believe statistics? Or at least studies by the federal government?"

"Yes."

"Is he retarded?"

"I do not believe so sir, what are you wanting to know about?"

"I want to know how a person who can read, understand government studies, and is not retarded veto the same bill three times? Obviously it is the will of the people, and I will move to Illinois to vote against him if I have to. But it would probably be more effective to give the maximum amount allowed by law to his opponent."

"Is that all sir?"

"No one more thing, can you tell the governor, D I A F?"

"I sure will."

That call was probably a waste of time and cell phone minutes.

He spends most of his time in Chicago. He is influenced by the Chicago democrats who do not want the speed limit raised for trucks. Especially in their area.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread