idleair - what are your thoughts

chanceNit

any of you use it? what are your thoughts... cost? ease of use? fuel vs service fee?

I used it quite a while back and it took the fresh clean smell of my new truck and put a musty smoke smell in it. It took me forever to get that smell out and I haven't used it since.

They may have improved the system by now, I don't know. I'm just not a big fan of it.

I used it quite a while back and it took the fresh clean smell of my new truck and put a musty smoke smell in it. It took me forever to get that smell out and I haven't used it since.

They may have improved the system by now, I don't know. I'm just not a big fan of it.

it may depend on location(s). several friends of mine do OTR and when they pull into truckstops, they too STILL get that odor from cigarette smoke. as a result, they do not use it any more, but then too, some of my friends now have APU's..............

My Company pays for IdleAire so I use it whenever I can. I like the tv channels and internet access.

Biggest complaint is the stale cigarrette odor 90% of the time.

there you go, they still ain't too concerned with cigarette odors..........

who would want to pay for the service if the odors are unbearable, i wouldn't.......

It all depends on how much fuel your truck uses when idleing. I'm in a KW T-600 w/a cat c-15 and it uses about .4 gal/hr. Idleaire costs a gold member $1.85/hr. There is wear & tear on the engine but no 2nd hand smoke. Its up to you.

used it once found out that its too expensive for my taste and it doesnt keep ya warm in the winter..that is in 20 degree weather.(since the truck is not insulated to keep the warmth in) the only advice i can give is try it out one time and see if you like it. worse thing is you lose about 50 dollars to get the window thing and for the night use. it is kind of cool having cable tv in the truck but as for the internet i have a card in my computer so i dont need it.

idleaire

i use it alot..the best thing is the trip planning..you can call ahead, like reservations at a hotel and have a guaranteed spot to go to bed and not get robbed..i also have an apu on my truck but im not allowed to use it in california because of air quality restrictions..if you plan it like a tax break it is great..if I have a low value load, I get more selective about parking..I love dirt lots and home cooking, but for the asphalt cowboys who polish daily, it is a godsend. easy to get in and out of, and there are less solicitors beating on the door because idleaire drives through the lot. Most companies pay for the adapter and free upgrade, and you get $5 unlimited 24 hour calling long distance..you can leave one idleaire and sign right back on at the next one. its all tax deductible and saves thousands a year if you are an owner op

It all depends on how much fuel your truck uses when idleing. I'm in a KW T-600 w/a cat c-15 and it uses about .4 gal/hr. Idleaire costs a gold member $1.85/hr. There is wear & tear on the engine but no 2nd hand smoke. Its up to you.

I guess thats why the IdleAir lines at the TA by me are always empty. and when I do see trucks in there there just parked and not hooked up to it. you would think for $1.85 an hour they would put a decent filters in there and change them out often. If the cost of fuel keeps rising, I think more drivers will use it. None the less in due time they'll fix that

I use it sometimes, but it costs too much. If your going to leave it on all night you would be better off to get a motel room. I usually turn it off at night and leave the stuff in the window. I have even hooked up, not turned it on, just to get a parking spot. Lots of idleaire places won't let you park unless you "hook up." Late at night there usually the only spots open. : )

I am just waiting for all of the idle-air equipment to start getting old and falling apart. Something tells me that by the time that happens, there won't be nearly enough money going into the upkeep and repairs, then it will end up going away.

there you go, they still ain't too concerned with cigarette odors..........

who would want to pay for the service if the odors are unbearable, i wouldn't.......
So tell me what the hell do i do? I have to diliever this load because i said i would in CA, I have to sit from monday till tuesday for my back haul. With my heart and lungs i dont want to smell cig, smoke and i dont want to sit in my semi with it 90 degreas out and in. I called CHPS the police and told them i had a heart trouble and was ok to truck but needed to stay some what cool he told me to bad in a nice way. He went on to say i better not idle at all or id get a ticket. Funny when i asked the dispatch lady who answerd the phone and explained it to her she said as far as i no we dont have a law about idleing..Oh and by the way having a pet along dont matter he said. So if i die of heat on my heart you all sue them for me.:nono:
Why do we haul out there? why dont you start on shutting down all trucks at the state line.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread