I wanna Bring "Real" Trucking Back Here

Uncle Birchy

Guys like Will & Sonny made the World Turn..

Guys like Will & Sonny made the World Turn..

Another thingy back then ..

They weren't exactly making Big $$$..

Just loved what they were doing "Every-Day"..

How many "exactly" say ya Truly "Love" what ya "Do" Everyday.

Ya probably get "Lonely" & Depressed Out there..

People treat ya like "Scum" too ..

Not even "Realizing" without

Another thingy back then

Cannot Say Today's World & High Tech Surveillance makes that any better ..

Look at "Today's" Driver..

On Cellphone "texting" will run ya up the "Barrier Blocks" go a whopping 0.25 mph faster..

What Kinda "Example " We Setting..

Then again Society Itself is "Cracked"

Ya welcome a Crazy Screwed Up World..

Cannot Say Today's World & High Tech Surveillance makes that any better ..

Look at "Today's" Driver..

On Cellphone "texting" will run ya up the "Barrier Blocks" go a whopping 0.25 mph faster..

What Kinda "Example " We Setting..

Then again Society Itself is "Cracked"

Ya welcome a Crazy Screwed Up World..
I don't even think "Today" ya could Set that "Example"..

People today think ya a "Goody 2 Shoes"..

But back "In The Day" that's How ya we're Taught "Operate" a Big Truck

One thingy I always "Remember" it's a Turtle Race.

See somebody "STUPID" next ya..

Back Off let em "Pass"..

Don't Ride It Up..

Even Flash my "Brights" when ya Pass Me..

Half these Morons don't even "Move" Over anymore

Another thingy back then ..

They weren't exactly making Big $$$..

Just loved what they were doing "Every-Day"..

How many "exactly" say ya Truly "Love" what ya "Do" Everyday.

Ya probably get "Lonely" & Depressed Out there..

They weren't exactly making Big $$$ -- in 1969, I drove for CF, a union job out of local 315. I made more money than my Dad who worked out of Carpenters Local 642. But I did put in about 1/3 more hours but some of them were in a sleeper -- which ain't all that cool, CF had the smallest sleepers that it could get away with..

Just loved what they were doing: Most did and most of the rest just looked at trucking as a way to feed their families.

How many loved trucking? Depends on the lash-up. If you had a good boss and good iron, like when I worked for Post and Southern Tank Lines, I'd bet that pay and conditions satisfaction rating was 90% or more. There's always something to bitch about, but in those days you got a written dispatch and after that it was up to you to figure out how to do get something from here to there.

Lonely and depressed? Maybe, but not if you had a good boss and good iron.

People treated you like scum? Not so, you wore clean clothes (Pendleton shirts were a favorite but you kept some clothes with you that you could mess up at a pick up or delivery point that wasn't all that clean, tidy, etc.. Otherwise you were clean as was your rig. Lots of the tanker drivers for the "best" tanker lash-ups even had creases in their Levis (or Dickies, etc.). If you were clean and knew what you were doing or asked the locals about what you were doing, you were considered one of the crew but hardly scum. This is not to say that occasionally a driver was referred to as and treated as if he were scum. But that's just the law of averages.

But here I'm talking of the mid 60s to the mid 70s.

If you're talking about trucking in America these days, maybe what Birchy claims is true. Then drivers are as screwed up as he reports them.

the soap opera, "as the world turns", went on for like 54 years

"movin' on", lasted only about 3 years...

i just don't see how 2 truckers accomplished more, in less time
They were always off some kinda adventure or fighting crime..

I often wondered where they had the time pull enough freight so "Sonny" make his Truck Payments

They weren't exactly making Big $$$ -- in 1969, I drove for CF, a union job out of local 315. I made more money than my Dad who worked out of Carpenters Local 642. But I did put in about 1/3 more hours but some of them were in a sleeper -- which ain't all that cool, CF had the smallest sleepers that it could get away with..

Just loved what they were doing: Most did and most of the rest just looked at trucking as a way to feed their families.

How many loved trucking? Depends on the lash-up. If you had a good boss and good iron, like when I worked for Post and Southern Tank Lines, I'd bet that pay and conditions satisfaction rating was 90% or more. There's always something to bitch about, but in those days you got a written dispatch and after that it was up to you to figure out how to do get something from here to there.

Lonely and depressed? Maybe, but not if you had a good boss and good iron.

People treated you like scum? Not so, you wore clean clothes (Pendleton shirts were a favorite but you kept some clothes with you that you could mess up at a pick up or delivery point that wasn't all that clean, tidy, etc.. Otherwise you were clean as was your rig. Lots of the tanker drivers for the "best" tanker lash-ups even had creases in their Levis (or Dickies, etc.). If you were clean and knew what you were doing or asked the locals about what you were doing, you were considered one of the crew but hardly scum. This is not to say that occasionally a driver was referred to as and treated as if he were scum. But that's just the law of averages.

But here I'm talking of the mid 60s to the mid 70s.

If you're talking about trucking in America these days, maybe what Birchy claims is true. Then drivers are as screwed up as he reports them.
I atleast knew enough Truckstop & Fuel Islands are full off spilled fuel & leaking oil/ antifreeze..

Don't forget Human "Waste"..

Yet they still wear Flip/Flops..

Maybe I didn't always have a Collar Shirt tucked in..

But at a Customer I always had pants a cleaner Tshirt or sweatshirt and Work Boots..

I can prove that in some of my videos

I atleast knew enough Truckstop & Fuel Islands are full off spilled fuel & leaking oil/ antifreeze..

Don't forget Human "Waste"..

Yet they still wear Flip/Flops..

Maybe I didn't always have a Collar Shirt tucked in..

But at a Customer I always had pants a cleaner Tshirt or sweatshirt and Work Boots..

I can prove that in some of my videos
Occasionally I wore "Sneakers" but Shoes not Flip/Flops

The race to get your boots on when the scale is open, and DOT is standing on the steps checking logbooks.
I drove sock footed to keep the truck clean and get a better feel for the pedals.

The race to get your boots on when the scale is open, and DOT is standing on the steps checking logbooks.
I drove sock footed to keep the truck clean and get a better feel for the pedals.
Since Elogs they don't really check but ya can't really cheat either that computer always running..

About 10 years ago was down south somewhere I think Louisiana..

Everybody pulled off 10 into scale..

Cop said "Log-Book"..

Yes sir handed him my Qualcomm..

He said "get outta here"

Since Elogs they don't really check but ya can't really cheat either that computer always running..

About 10 years ago was down south somewhere I think Louisiana..

Everybody pulled off 10 into scale..

Cop said "Log-Book"..

Yes sir handed him my Qualcomm..

He said "get outta here"
I forgot Arkansas I-30 and a grand over my trailer axles..

He said not the "End Of World" but while ya Here bring your "Permit Books" & I'm gonna do a "Inspection"..

He could thru that Qualcomm better than I could..

He said Okay gonna write ya 2 equipment violations "Warning" not a Shut-Down..

Now go slide those Tandems a spot or two go around "Bump" My Scale..

Give ya a "Green-Light" & GO

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread