I refused a load

Cerberus

In God We Trust
I was sitting in Pittsburgh at a beer distribution after getting unloaded and waiting for my next dispatch. It came across and it was going to Newell, wv to grab the trailer and take it to Brooklyn, NY. Well since i refuse to drive in NYC, Brooklyn, the Bronx , Manhattan or anywheres in that general area i called dispatch and informed them that i needed a new load and i was actually willing to run to WV and grab the load and drop it elsewhere for another driver just to keep running. They informed me they would call me back in a few minutes. Now i just knew i was setting myself up for some serious backlash. But instead i got a load from Newell, WV going to Shelby, NC. It was the walmart distribution place there. A real nice run. Then i went to Fletcher, NC for a load to Hagarstown, MD. and i even got an atta boy from my dispatcher about doing a good job on the last load and i was home by 3 pm friday afternoon. And I have to deliver a load to Rochester, NY monday. So far i am surprised that there was no retaliation by them since i refused a load.

Many companies have gotten it through their heads that some driver are just not going to go into New York City, and rather than lose a driver, they will accommodate the requests to stay out of there.

Many companies have gotten it through their heads that some driver are just not going to go into New York City, and rather than lose a driver, they will accommodate the requests to stay out of there.

yes, but its also easier because they might not live near-by. take me for instance. i live in New England.....i want to go home.....guess what, i'm the "prime canidate" for anything NY bound..........

but, good for you. (Cerberous) at least you got some extra miles.

yes, but its also easier because they might not live near-by. take me for instance. i live in New England.....i want to go home.....guess what, i'm the "prime canidate" for anything NY bound..........

but, good for you. (Cerberous) at least you got some extra miles.

it was actually about the same amount of miles but i had it in my head that i would sit before i ran that load there. i have been there and done that and have no desire to ever go back. those roads are not made for these big rigs and should have nothing bigger than a box truck deliver in there.

hopefully that was there thought. i am a good driver and i have been doing this going on 18 years now so they can give those crappy loads to the guys that want to go there or anybody else as long as it is not me.

i'm really curious how this is gonna effect next week. hopefully this will be done and forgotten but as i know none of us are new to this and we all know how trucking companies can be.

I had a dispatcher one time that told me he was scared to give me a load. When I asked why, he said because it is going to Long Island.

I again asked why he was scared, because I had at that time never been there.

I took it, it was a easy run. The only bad thing was taking so long to go from the GWB to Long Island. First trip in took me almost 5 hours...Then I learned when to go, and when to come back out.

I had a dispatcher one time that told me he was scared to give me a load. When I asked why, he said because it is going to Long Island.

I again asked why he was scared, because I had at that time never been there.

I took it, it was a easy run. The only bad thing was taking so long to go from the GWB to Long Island. First trip in took me almost 5 hours...Then I learned when to go, and when to come back out.

that is ONE key factor in going to NYC, Long Island, and the Boro's....

another of course is to get absolute direct driving instructions. either from the customer, or from other truckers who have been there. incidently, many truckers ARE helpful giving directions on the cb radio when you are going into those areas.

just be sure to stay away from those guys wearing the reflective vests and baseball caps, standing on street corners........they try to stop you, telling you you can't make it under a bridge coming up, and for a "fee" ride with you around a detour.......!!!:beep:

that is ONE key factor in going to NYC, Long Island, and the Boro's....

another of course is to get absolute direct driving instructions. either from the customer, or from other truckers who have been there. incidently, many truckers ARE helpful giving directions on the cb radio when you are going into those areas.

just be sure to stay away from those guys wearing the reflective vests and baseball caps, standing on street corners........they try to stop you, telling you you can't make it under a bridge coming up, and for a "fee" ride with you around a detour.......!!!:beep:

My first trip in, I missed my turn onto the cross bronx hiway, it was not marked...So i continued on in the direction I was going and the overpass signs height kept getting shorter, till it got to a point where I figured one more and I was going to get stuck.

I flagged a NYPD cop down as i pulled up beside him, and he rolled the window down and asked where I could turn around. He said buddy your best bet was to do a flip in any intersection you come to, and head back. The light changed green, and he pulled off I turned my 4 wats on and proceeded to tie up 6 lanes turning around.

But after that first time I never got lost again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread