Truckers Health I can't sleep Normal in the Truck

Uncle Birchy

At home I get sorta into a routine going to bed roughly about same timeframe and waking up about the same time..

In the truck I got gotta be completely "wiped" out just to get afew hours .

I used to be able to get a "decent" nap but this company ain't figured out that since 2020 you can pause the 14 hour clock..

Brought this up to "Safety" why ain't we got that here and he talks to other guy oh that was "Special" for COVID..

Wait a minute now Millis Transfer was doing this still as recently as June when I went back home until recently..

A Big Carrier like Millis wouldn't be doing that if it wasn't "legal" but ya hadda log the 7 or 8 hours "Sleeper" even if taking a Full 10 was only issues I had with them

Be nice if we could go back to Paper Logs and drive afew hundred miles take a nap , drive another few hundred take a nap like when I first started in Trucking 20 years ago..

But nowadays those Elogs pretty much hold ya to that clock so ya gotta push get the miles every day

I texted him an Article about it ..

Either way I just don't sleep Normal and here the schedule often Tight enough without being able to stop that clock I can't even get that nap ..

Then I'm just guzzling coffee and sodas n chain smoking cigarettes to keep myself from "Nodding" Off which probably ain't helping when I do actually get stopped.

Last edited:

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
I used to sleep like a baby when we would idle the truck. Now these new trucks don't like idling so we got the APU's kind of like sleeping with a reefer or ya got a Wabasto and then a reefer would pull in next to you or someone would set the brakes and wake you.
Anyway, sleeping in an idling truck was some of the best sleep I ever had.

GAnthony

No soup for you...!!
Premium
well Birch, we all know you ain't normal.....which is why you can't sleep normally

i never had any problems sleeping in the truck. the idling engine actually gave me a slight rocking effect.

the problem "might be" the smallness (claustrophobic) of the sleeper over the expansive amount of space in your home's bedroom.

wear a night mask over your eyes, maybe have some sort of "white noise" like from the am/fm radio playing as well.

Sinister

pari animositate
At home I get sorta into a routine going to bed roughly about same timeframe and waking up about the same time..

In the truck I got gotta be completely "wiped" out just to get afew hours .

I used to be able to get a "decent" nap but this company ain't figured out that since 2020 you can pause the 14 hour clock..

Brought this up to "Safety" why ain't we got that here and he talks to other guy oh that was "Special" for COVID..

Wait a minute now Millis Transfer was doing this still as recently as June when I went back home until recently..

A Big Carrier like Millis wouldn't be doing that if it wasn't "legal" but ya hadda log the 7 or 8 hours "Sleeper" even if taking a Full 10 was only issues I had with them

Be nice if we could go back to Paper Logs and drive afew hundred miles take a nap , drive another few hundred take a nap like when I first started in Trucking 20 years ago..

But nowadays those Elogs pretty much hold ya to that clock so ya gotta push get the miles every day

I texted him an Article about it ..

Either way I just don't sleep Normal and here the schedule often Tight enough without being able to stop that clock I can't even get that nap ..

Then I'm just guzzling coffee and sodas n chain smoking cigarettes to keep myself from "Nodding" Off which probably ain't helping when I do actually get stopped.

This place allows us to split our 14. I had to do it my first week working here. One of the other recovering Walmart drivers that's here talked me through it and I was able to gwt back to Effingham and take a regular 10.

It does come in handy from time to time.

My screen showed I was violated the whole time but once I went into any off duty status, it looked normal again at the end of my 10 hour break.

As uptight as Walmart was, this place is just the opposite- almost to a fault - to the point where if there's no accute violation, you'll hear nothing from them.

In fact.

Once I was bobtailing from Matoon to Romeoville. On IL 47 about 45 minutes south of Dwight we came to a stop while they were paving.

When it was time to go again my truck wouldn't move. I had a brake chamber fail right there in the middle of the road.

So I forced the truck to the side and threw up some triangles.

Penske sent out a repair guy and git me a new brake chamber.

During this time I ran out of drive time.

I wasn't able to use a split 14 so I- get this- used Personal Conveyance to get the the Loves at 47 and 55 in Dwight.

Annotated it in the comment and that was that. Never heard a thing.

Your "safety guy" should be sharpening pencils or fetching coffee.

Uncle Birchy

This place allows us to split our 14. I had to do it my first week working here. One of the other recovering Walmart drivers that's here talked me through it and I was able to gwt back to Effingham and take a regular 10.

It does come in handy from time to time.

My screen showed I was violated the whole time but once I went into any off duty status, it looked normal again at the end of my 10 hour break.

As uptight as Walmart was, this place is just the opposite- almost to a fault - to the point where if there's no accute violation, you'll hear nothing from them.

In fact.

Once I was bobtailing from Matoon to Romeoville. On IL 47 about 45 minutes south of Dwight we came to a stop while they were paving.

When it was time to go again my truck wouldn't move. I had a brake chamber fail right there in the middle of the road.

So I forced the truck to the side and threw up some triangles.

Penske sent out a repair guy and git me a new brake chamber.

During this time I ran out of drive time.

I wasn't able to use a split 14 so I- get this- used Personal Conveyance to get the the Loves at 47 and 55 in Dwight.

Annotated it in the comment and that was that. Never heard a thing.

Your "safety guy" should be sharpening pencils or fetching coffee.
We got Split-Sleeper too but many times ain't worth utilizing when it only gives me 3/4 hours back I might as well sit the extra 2 hours do a full 10 hour go back to 14..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread