• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

I am starting out with ffe.

Mr Roper

Does anyone know anything about ffe thats were my career starts. I have to take the refresher class due to no otr experience I hear good and bad. I will not be asking to get home just want to keep rolling down the road every once in awhile home dont need much home time. Most of the bad I hear are from truckers that seem to need to get home alot. Sure would like to hear from ya if you know anything about them

Really? I'd like to see this "law".
There doesn't have to be any specific law as he described. But it's illegal to require anybody to break the law.

I'd have just run with it & gone around any open scales.

And if I wasn't familiar with the route like if it's not in my usual stomping grounds, I'd just call one of the two "outlaw trucking 101" professors on this forum & get routing.

I think you know which two members I'm talking about, :rolllaugh:

I got a ticket in Virginia about 2 years ago for 1,500 over gross....$180.
That isn't expensive, That's nothing!

Overweight tickets aren't CSA reportable violations as far as I know.

I dont like spending money on tickets. Ever.

good to know about the csa points, but being Overweight is a good way to get brought in for further inspection.

I was just under 1500 over, so it was just a ticket in Texas. 1500 or more and it would have required offloading product onto another truck and most likely refusal of the load by the receiver. Very expensive at that point

I dont like spending money on tickets. Ever.

good to know about the csa points, but being Overweight is a good way to get brought in for further inspection.

I was just under 1500 over, so it was just a ticket in Texas. 1500 or more and it would have required offloading product onto another truck and most likely refusal of the load by the receiver. Very expensive at that point

I was 1500 over and they just wrote the ticket and sent me on my way...I crossed 3 more states before I got to the customer, but I didn't see any more scales.

There must not have been any scales on those roads that I was on.

I was 1500 over and they just wrote the ticket and sent me on my way...I crossed 3 more states before I got to the customer, but I didn't see any more scales.

There must not have been any scales on those roads that I was on.
Crazy how the laws/fines vary from state to state. I was lucky in that I was more than likely more than 1500 over, but they recorded the weight while the tank was sloshing just right to show it under 1500.

I have to agree with not running overweight... I have gone back to shippers to have them reload or repack a load if my axles are over... swift does not give me service failures for being late because of being overweight, they know better... just like when on road tells me to drive to a truck stop for a repair (like a clearance light on a trailer), I tell them to send a Qualcomm message noting the problem telling me to drive... if they won't send a Qualcomm message that means they will get in trouble for telling me to drive... in which case I tell them I am not moving until they send someone for the repair. Your company cannot force you to break or bend any rules.

Sent from the cutting edge of my Droid RAZR MAXX
For a marker light???

I'll tell ya' what I've always done for petty shit like that. I send a macro to OnRoad on the QC stating what the problem is and where I'm taking it. Most times, they send me a QC message saying, "Okay, reference #XXX." There. You're covered. Somethimes, they've called me back and I've asked them to send the reference number to me on the QC, which they always do. I had a top marker out on the rear of the trailer and got hauled into a scale. I showed the cop where I sent the message and got a reference number for the repair. No ticket, no warning, no nothing, I was able to show I had just picked up the trailer, did an inspection, notified the company it needed something, arranged for the repair at the next stop and was going straight to get it fixed...and I had it documented.

Does anyone know anything about ffe thats were my career starts. I have to take the refresher class due to no otr experience I hear good and bad. I will not be asking to get home just want to keep rolling down the road every once in awhile home dont need much home time. Most of the bad I hear are from truckers that seem to need to get home alot. Sure would like to hear from ya if you know anything about them

Well I don't have any "experience" but I did attend their academy for 2 weeks before having to drop out for financial reasons.
I wasn't to fond of the training grounds, just an old concrete and rock covered space, but the training wasn't bad.
The dorms are really small except the single large room, which is shared with 5 others, but they had a large dining area and microwaves etc.
The trucks aren't special, 2007 Pro-Stars I believe, but they get the job done. All in all I'd say if you like the company go for it.

For a marker light???

I'll tell ya' what I've always done for petty shit like that. I send a macro to OnRoad on the QC stating what the problem is and where I'm taking it. Most times, they send me a QC message saying, "Okay, reference #XXX." There. You're covered. Somethimes, they've called me back and I've asked them to send the reference number to me on the QC, which they always do. I had a top marker out on the rear of the trailer and got hauled into a scale. I showed the cop where I sent the message and got a reference number for the repair. No ticket, no warning, no nothing, I was able to show I had just picked up the trailer, did an inspection, notified the company it needed something, arranged for the repair at the next stop and was going straight to get it fixed...and I had it documented.

That's what I'm talking about... marker light was an example... I had someone at on road tell me to drive a loaded trailer with no functioning brake lights to a TA 30 miles away, they said they'd send a Qualcomm message telling me to do so, and after waiting 15 minutes for the message I called back and spoke with someone else who told me not to drive it (they actually were glad I didn't just start driving toward the TA) and I waited until they sent someone to fix it. On road tech found the problem in the connector box and replaced the receptacle, a part I do not carry in my collection of spare parts. If they won't send a message telling me to drive with x problem, I won't risk myself being pulled over or into a scale. That little Qualcomm message is proof I can show the officer that I noticed the problem before I left with the trailer and I am on my way to have it repaired immediately at x facility.

Sent from the cutting edge of my Droid RAZR MAXX

That's what I'm talking about... marker light was an example... I had someone at on road tell me to drive a loaded trailer with no functioning brake lights to a TA 30 miles away, ...
Maybe I shouldn't mention the time last winter when I drove a loaded truck about 30 miles with no functioning brakes ... :rolllaugh2:

(It wouldn't have mattered anyway, I was on solid ice & I was the only one on the road. I got some methyl alcohol for the brake lines at the next truck stop & the brakes started working again)

Maybe I shouldn't mention the time last winter when I drove a loaded truck about 30 miles with no functioning brakes ... :rolllaugh2:

(It wouldn't have mattered anyway, I was on solid ice & I was the only one on the road. I got some methyl alcohol for the brake lines & the next truck stop & the brakes started working again)

Week before last, I had an air bag start leaking really bad, I disconnected the air line to it and blocked it off.
I then ran 500 miles to the receiver and unloaded and then went home and fixed it myself.
The difference in cost to me was substantial...

Instead of $250 for the air bag at a truck stop, I paid $149 each.
Instead of $300 labor at a truck stop, I did it myself for free....It took about 2 hours to replace both bags on that axle.
If I would'a had a road service call, that would have been about $400 more, considering the distance to a road service shop from where I was.

The difference was I would have paid around $950 to replace one air bag with the road call and the inflated prices.
I wound up Replacing both of them myself for around $300.

That's quite a difference.

Week before last, I had an air bag start leaking really bad, I disconnected the air line to it and blocked it off.
I then ran 500 miles to the receiver and unloaded and then went home and fixed it myself.
The difference in cost to me was substantial...

Instead of $250 for the air bag at a truck stop, I paid $149 each.
Instead of $300 labor at a truck stop, I did it myself for free....It took about 2 hours to replace both bags on that axle.
If I would'a had a road service call, that would have been about $400 more, considering the distance to a road service shop from where I was.

The difference was I would have paid around $950 to replace one air bag with the road call and the inflated prices.
I wound up Replacing both of them myself for around $300.

That's quite a difference.
My brakes cost about 15 cents to fix. $3 or 4 for a bottle of "Heet gas line antifreeze" for cars, since they were sold out on actual air brake deicer. Heet is the same thing, just methyl alcohol. I only used about 15 cents worth.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread