I AM a trucker, but almost feel like an interloper...

wogelsby

Actually seeing the United States is nice.
Gotta remind myself I'm a Trucker cause it's like 30 yrs - seems more like a dream. Pounded the road for independent owners east of the Mississippi for three years in the late 70's, Refer, dry box and flat bed. Outta Ashtabula, Ohio, usually headed out Sunday evenings, chasing loads till Saturday morning, around 2000 miles a week. No job since has set with me like that. At 67, still hanker to back under another load and head out. Love the power and dynamics of the equipment and the world of transportation. Glad to be here now, from the seat of an RV - OMG... the dreaded ENEMY! But I'm not. Total respect and admiration for all ya'll out there pounding the highways today.

Just read through some of the Shippers and Receivers stuff. Ah, how I remember. From a distance all seems romantic... forgetting the heart-attack anger and bile interacting with loading and un-loading... and dispatchers.

Welcome and thanks. I've been at this for way too long to the point that my body is trying hard to override whatever is in my mind that keeps me going "out there".:D

I used to fantacize about the motorcoach thing but of late it has morphed into a 1200hp big KW with a streeeeetched bunk painted metalflake red and with propane injectors at the tip of the exhaust so's I kin blow 6ft of flame as I go blasting by all the 64mph trucks at night. YEEEHAWWWW!!!!:biglaugh:

Reactions: Tim
Welcome and thanks. I've been at this for way too long to the point that my body is trying hard to override whatever is in my mind that keeps me going "out there".:D

I used to fantacize about the motorcoach thing but of late it has morphed into a 1200hp big KW with a streeeeetched bunk painted metalflake red and with propane injectors at the tip of the exhaust so's I kin blow 6ft of flame as I go blasting by all the 64mph trucks at night. YEEEHAWWWW!!!!:biglaugh:

Funny. In retirement I'm a Race Walker now. Often thought about how easily that competitive activity would fit with the Trucker Lifestyle. Shorts, sneaks and out the door, around the parking lot 6 times and into the shower. Hardest part would be suffering the looks. But vigorous activity is so very important, especially for drivers planted in seats for way too long.

www.eracewalk.com

We're at LazyDays in Tucson now. Couple 'a' days ago here was a huge vintage KW with that very Stretch Sleeper (15~20'), plugged in and hooked up. Spent a few days. Under some "Jones Trans" kinda livery. Figure he's paid his dues and has found the right job. Don't think he had the propane idea worked out yet.

Never could get use to those race walkers. At first I thought they were hurrying to the bathroom or something?

Never could get use to those race walkers. At first I thought they were hurrying to the bathroom or something?
In the neighborhood I grew up in, there was a married couple named "The Joggers" because nobody ever knew their name. From when I was a little kid, until the last time I was at that neighborhood a few weeks ago, this couple still jogs every day. Actually the man jogs slowly while his wife does that race walking thing. For years & years & years we used to make fun of her because we always just thought she was pretending to jog but she was actually just walking fast.

It wasn't until I was older when I finally realized why, ...

She's over 6 feet tall with long legs & he's short with stubby legs. He has to jog in order to keep up with her. If she were to start jogging, he'd have to run to keep up. :biglaugh:

Gotta remind myself I'm a Trucker cause it's like 30 yrs - seems more like a dream. Pounded the road for independent owners east of the Mississippi for three years in the late 70's, Refer, dry box and flat bed. Outta Ashtabula, Ohio, usually headed out Sunday evenings, chasing loads till Saturday morning, around 2000 miles a week. No job since has set with me like that. At 67, still hanker to back under another load and head out. Love the power and dynamics of the equipment and the world of transportation. Glad to be here now, from the seat of an RV - OMG... the dreaded ENEMY! But I'm not. Total respect and admiration for all ya'll out there pounding the highways today.

I never really understood why so many drivers dislike RV folks. Oh sure some of them have no clue what they're doing and shouldn't be driving such large vehicles, but guess what....neither should many truck drivers.

Always seemed to me truck drivers should want to aspire to be RV'ers; especially as an end goal to a career where you have to drive PAST all the stuff you'd love to stop and see. It's also just that the prevailing "wisdom" of most drivers falls slightly short of seeing that big picture.I try to go out of my way to think differently about most things...

Welcome to the forum and thanks for being literate.

I have never thought of R.V.'s being an enemy or even a PIA. Any truck driver worth his/her salt should know when they are coming up on a R.V. that they will most likely going slow. I would be going slow to if I was footing the bill for the fuel on a large vehicle that is not generating profit.

I have encountered one former trucker that was driving an R.V. he was on the C.B. radio giving out bear reports. I have always dreamed of having an R.V. So Like @Sinister said I could actually see the sights, I am a few hundred thousand short right now. i would definitely have a C.B. radio in it.
I am not sure I could camp at a campground, It seems like there is a lot of socializing going on in those places.

Welcome to the forum.

Just a little aside here. If anybody's thinking of purchasing a motor home, check real good into who actually built it. Fleetwood manufactures for several different brand names. There are pages and pages of lawsuits for shoddy construction, no warranty, etc, etc. This is the same outfit that "built" our mobile home that I'm still repairing and the "construction" is terrible

Beware.

Just for those who think I'm "blowin smoke" ..... just imagine yourself pullin up a big hill some night, you glance at the mirrors and see a forest of lights rapidly approaching. Just as this big red rig pulls beside you.... this happens....

Welcome.

I see a fair amount out here that drive like they have some sense in those Motorhomes:shift:

I still say they should have to have a class License to operate them, especially the big pushers pulling 40 foot trailers. :soapbox:

And then there are the rest:crash:

I like getting to far off the beaten path for those to be practical but my Grandfather spent the last ten years of his life seeing the country. Told me before he passed it was the best adventure of his life. Enjoy the scenery.

A great big welcome to you,enjoy that RV and your retirement.

Exactly... to the uninitiated it's funny looking. Especially done poorly. Stupidest looking walkers aren't doing it right. The Olympians look graceful and rhythmic. At 67 I probably look stupid. I don't care. It's SO very good for you. Quality of life rises doing it.

Exactly... to the uninitiated it's funny looking. Especially done poorly. Stupidest looking walkers aren't doing it right. The Olympians look graceful and rhythmic. At 67 I probably look stupid. I don't care. It's SO very good for you. Quality of life rises doing it.
Years back we would look at some driver doing walking laps around the truck stop lot and kind of snicker. Nowadays drivers look at them with some respect. They are looking after their health and getting out there and doing something about it. I got to respect that!

I never really understood why so many drivers dislike RV folks. Oh sure some of them have no clue what they're doing and shouldn't be driving such large vehicles, but guess what....neither should many truck drivers.

Always seemed to me truck drivers should want to aspire to be RV'ers; especially as an end goal to a career where you have to drive PAST all the stuff you'd love to stop and see. It's also just that the prevailing "wisdom" of most drivers falls slightly short of seeing that big picture.I try to go out of my way to think differently about most things...

Welcome to the forum and thanks for being literate.

I couldn't agree with you more. I cringe too often at self-absorbed big rig drivers acting ugly.

And, that's truly the deal... the pulling over and spending time... seeing, smelling, tasting.. getting to know the depth and breadth of this amazing country, beyond the loading docks and truck stops.

I have never thought of R.V.'s being an enemy or even a PIA. Any truck driver worth his/her salt should know when they are coming up on a R.V. that they will most likely going slow. I would be going slow to if I was footing the bill for the fuel on a large vehicle that is not generating profit.

I have encountered one former trucker that was driving an R.V. he was on the C.B. radio giving out bear reports. I have always dreamed of having an R.V. So Like @Sinister said I could actually see the sights, I am a few hundred thousand short right now. i would definitely have a C.B. radio in it.
I am not sure I could camp at a campground, It seems like there is a lot of socializing going on in those places.

Welcome to the forum.

Our coach IS an investment. And the fuel is a fact of life. We spend a big chunk for a few days to get where we're going... then hole and relax.

Wouldn't be on the road without a CB. Monitor always. Don't talk much.

My driving strategy is go with the flow... 65... in draft if possible but not close... couple two, three truck lengths.. relaxed.

Socializing is available, for sure, but you don't need to join. Many stay to themselves. Entertainment systems on these things is pretty amazing.

Just a little aside here. If anybody's thinking of purchasing a motor home, check real good into who actually built it. Fleetwood manufactures for several different brand names. There are pages and pages of lawsuits for shoddy construction, no warranty, etc, etc. This is the same outfit that "built" our mobile home that I'm still repairing and the "construction" is terrible

Beware.

True. There is a dizzying choice of styles and manufacturers. This is a really good place to begin research:

http://www.irv2.com/

Welcome.

I see a fair amount out here that drive like they have some sense in those Motorhomes:shift:

I still say they should have to have a class License to operate them, especially the big pushers pulling 40 foot trailers. :soapbox:

And then there are the rest:crash:

I like getting to far off the beaten path for those to be practical but my Grandfather spent the last ten years of his life seeing the country. Told me before he passed it was the best adventure of his life. Enjoy the scenery.

I've maintained my CDL and I completely agree with you. You should read some of the crap these guys post about tires and axle weights. And, yes... some of these RIGS! I've seen 70' combination rigs out there. I don't know how they get away with it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread