Hurricane Irma

gearjammer

jammer
I have been watching Irma the past few days and am starting to notice an alarming similarity to the track that Katrina took 12 years ago.
If anyone is interested here is a pretty good site for the latest info
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/weather-hurricanes/
Also there is another disturbance coming off of Africa that bears watching

I have been watching Irma the past few days and am starting to notice an alarming similarity to the track that Katrina took 12 years ago.
If anyone is interested here is a pretty good site for the latest info
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/weather-hurricanes/
Also there is another disturbance coming off of Africa that bears watching
hard to say. yesterday on my local news, he had 2 weather scenarios. one from the states, one for the europeans. and it was the european model that forecasted the Houston hurricane. this new one, Irma, in one model (the european) has it heading to the gulf again.

it will take another couple of days to really pinpoint it's track.

that was Yesterday's (friday's) report

no saying it will be anything to worry about but that it is taking a similar track as Katrina and if you remember all the models got Katrina wrong none of them had it getting loose into the gulf

just looked this morning and it looks like there is a good chance that Irma is going to get loose into the gulf, perhaps just raking the north side of Cuba, another possibility is hitting Miami, this thing bears watching closely.
We have family in Ft. Myers and they called this morning and they are not taking any chances, they are getting supplies to ride it out for a few weeks it need be and if it looks like a direct hit they have the truck filled and are ready to get the hell out of dodge, we may have a few guests next week.
Now is the time to pay attention and shop for emergency supplies but it never fails that a lot of people will wait until the last second and try to get what they need and of course all the stores will be stripped bare by then.

just looked this morning and it looks like there is a good chance that Irma is going to get loose into the gulf, perhaps just raking the north side of Cuba, another possibility is hitting Miami, this thing bears watching closely.
We have family in Ft. Myers and they called this morning and they are not taking any chances, they are getting supplies to ride it out for a few weeks it need be and if it looks like a direct hit they have the truck filled and are ready to get the hell out of dodge, we may have a few guests next week.
Now is the time to pay attention and shop for emergency supplies but it never fails that a lot of people will wait until the last second and try to get what they need and of course all the stores will be stripped bare by then.
You should always have 6 weeks supplies on hand if not more.

The problem with that is that even canned food has an expiration date.

So if you keep it all "fresh" by eating the oldest of everything and replacing it with new, you're always eating old stuff. o_O

And you're always running your lawnmowers on 6 month old gas, unless you use a big drum, in which it's all mixed with old crap.

In the event of Armageddon, just go to McDonald's. They'll all be run by robots pretty soon anyway. :cool:

I hope for the best for the people of Florida. They are pretty used to Hurricanes and tropical storms.

The last time I was headed to Florida a hurricane or down graded tropical storm was imminent.
I crossed the border and U.S. custom asked where I was headed?
I said, Florida. Yeah I am going to go down there and see whatever the name of the storm was, Problem was?
They laughed.
And then i got down to Florida and I was kind of frightened by all the wind and the rain.
The end:)

If this continues to build and hits our coast, things are going to get really chaotic.

and if it gets into the gulf it has the potential to raise all kinds of hell, for the entire country, fuel prices are already going up and Texas is still half flooded the have already said that Irma is going to strengthen to the high end of a cat 4.
I hate to see anyplace get hit I would rather it be the east coast of Florida, at least Florida is the best prepared for a major storm and know how to recover quickly, it it gets into the gulf it could wreak all of the gulf coast states and most of us will not see a complete recovery in our lifetimes, hell N.O still hasn't recovered completely after 12 years.

I have kids that live near Savannah they are already freaking out about how it's going to be worse than Mathew. As of right now the projected landfall is still a path 1000 miles wide where it could possibly hit. Be prepared but don't worry until there is something to worry about. This storm could turn abruptly and head back out to sea and die out. If I remember right the year Katrina hit there were 2 or 3 storms that got close and turned out. Hard for me to remember specifics as I was deployed that year.

Hell we milked cows through two Cat 3's and one Cat 5 one fall and never missed a beat.

Dad lost his porch, and we never did find those calf screens but we ran on a generator across two farms for 9 days. Well one night the tractor decided to leave, but other than that:toothpick:

Kind of like the rain the rest of the country gets all worked up about. Happens every damn day in the summer down there. You can set your watch by it.

The one good thing, at least for now, is it looks as though whatever it hits, it will hit fast. Wind damage much easier to rebuild that flood damage.

My sister in Virginia Beach is going to send her teenage daughters to her sister in laws place in Charlotte if it hits their area.

She can't evacuate because she's "essential personnel" (nurse) and her husband can't either because he's the COB on a nuclear submarine.

I have no idea what they do with ships in port during a hurricane but I'd imagine they probably send the submarines out to sea to ride it out beneath the waves.

Irma is now a cat 5 with sustained winds of 185 mph they don't even report what the wind gusts are someone a Florida blog reported the gusts are over 220 mph but who knows.
the most likely path has it staying just offshore of Cuba and crossing the Florida keys just north of Key west before getting into the gulf,
Also a new tropical storm Joset has formed behind Irma with current winds of 40mph.

Cat 5..... I be leaving time to get out...220 gusts....In reading this I have a shake my head and wonder why people want to ride something this dangerous out....JMO is all.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread