How to make your own APU

I’ve put a few apu’s together. This time I’m experimenting with an 18,000 btu mini split using a 5,500 inverter generator.
18,000 BTU, at that point it ceases to be a truck and becomes a walk in freezer :rolllaugh:
Just kidding man, keep up the good work and keep us posted on your innovations:thumbsup:

Spend $5k, get a refurbished real APU.

I hope you do-it-yer-selfers understand the concept of "exhaust muffler." I'm gonna take a sledgehammer to the next 50 million decibel home brew, un-muffled APU that parks next to me!

:mad-97:

Last edited:
We welded a short pipe to the spark arrester and then welded up some exhaust pipe and hung to the box frame running it out between the generator and the drives. Mini splits require a pure sine wave so make sure you get an inverter generator. Mine requires 230 volts at 10 amps. When it’s cold I have the block heater and a ceramic heater plugged in. Anything colder than 5 degrees and I’m running the truck due to not wanting gelling problems.

Tripac is a rather basic system. What sets it apart from others is more the controls. One would be hard pressed to come up with something more complete.

Seems every year someone can message up with a new mousetrap for a generator setup.

Spend $5k, get a refurbished real APU.

I hope you do-it-yer-selfers understand the concept of "exhaust muffler." I'm gonna take a sledgehammer to the next 50 million decibel home brew, un-muffled APU that parks next to me!

:mad-97:

Its the perfect sound buffer to sleep to. :pickle:

Put it inside the cab or passenger side. lol

i don't need smart answers

i know about carbon dioxide and how would that work with motor in truck ????????

i am talking about putting a complete factory APU in a older truck is it worth it to spend 4k or 5k on a rebuilt unit or not

i am talking about putting a complete factory APU in a older truck is it worth it to spend 4k or 5k on a rebuilt unit or not
Yes it is worth it to put a used unit on.

Idling does more damage to trucks than people will ever admit. If you've got a Cummins, it's the leading cause of soot build up in the rings destroying the engine.

I'd much rather wear out a $1500 2 cylinder diesel than an engine demanding 10X the finances to rebuild.

Use the appropriate tool for the task.

APU Center | We sell, Service, & Repair Auxiliary Power Units

Cue IP dessent
You know everything about everything dude, so carry on.

:biggrin-2:

@mndriver is 100% correct. Idling is the worst thing you can do to a large diesel engine, especially the newer engines with emissions systems. A crate motor to replace my DD15 would cost around $35,000. I've got no problem maintaining a TriPac to reduce wear and tear on my engine. ThermoKing has locations across the country that can work on them as well.

Another option is to have a factory rebuilt TriPac installed. The ThermoKing dealer in Springfield MO will do that, and there are two other dealers that will do that as well, although which ones escape me at the moment.

How's that fer dissent @mndriver?

Last edited:
Yes it is worth it to put a used unit on.

Idling does more damage to trucks than people will ever admit. If you've got a Cummins, it's the leading cause of soot build up in the rings destroying the engine.

I'd much rather wear out a $1500 2 cylinder diesel than an engine demanding 10X the finances to rebuild.

Use the appropriate tool for the task.

APU Center | We sell, Service, & Repair Auxiliary Power Units
I don’t have room for one, unfortunately

Probably because that "Hood" that you covet so much is taking up room on your overall length of your truck.:D
She’s 29’ long, roughly, nose to tail. Twin 110 gallon tanks, twin step boxes under the doors and twin saddle boxes. I have no frame left over to hang anything. Wide 50” spread on the drives too :cautious:

i don't need smart answers

i know about carbon dioxide and how would that work with motor in truck ????????

Sorry. It was Thanksgiving humor. I would recommend buying a new complete unit and get a metal fabricator to custom make a lock box for outside storage. :toothpick:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread