How to make a truck more comfortable?

I've seen several companies offer direct TV and microwaves and the like. If I was to install a tv how would I go about putting tv service or wifi into a truck? Is there a few different companies to choose from? And how good is the service.

#2. I try to make my space as comfortable as possible which is why I put in area rugs and stuff. So my 2nd question is how might I go about getting an Apu installed in a truck and use for a microwave/fridge etc?

(On a side note I intend on going owner operator on a more local basis about 2-3 years in the future, now from a stand point of comfortable ride and a good sleeper area with alot of space & storage which truck manufacturer is best? I heard peterbilt & Kenworth were great. But I also really enjoy the Volvo's. What would you recommend)

Any company offering free satellite TV just tells me you’re going to be doing A LOT of sitting, probably for free, and then footing the bill for a hotel for any reason is a real long shot.

Kw and peterbilt are narrow cabs.

Yes, they both have their wide-bodies, but they are known for their standard cabs.

One of the most comfortable cabs I've been in are the Cascadia trucks. But right behind them is the Coronado/Columbia/century. All three have the same cab sleeper.

The w900 and t660 are the same cab/sleeper.
The 386/389/388 are the same cab/sleeper.

I've got a tripac Apu on my truck and it does just fine keeping the fridge running. I run the big engine to run the microwave though.

Last edited:
As far as bunk space and storage in cab, nothing beats a Freightliner.

Tripak is where it's at for an APU. You can get a new one installed for around 12k. Make sure you keep up the maintenance.

DirecTV has a decent system for sat TV, mounts on your truck like Qualcomm. I do not know anything about wifi services that install on your truck but I am sure they are out there.

Good luck

Little insight on the Freightliner.

The numbers on it say a century 120 means that there's 120 inches from the number to the back of the cab. A Coronado 122 is 122 inches. The Coronado 132 is 132 inches.

What that means in the grand scheme of things, especially since the Coronado, century and Columbia all share the same cab/sleeper is that the Coronado 132 has 10" more space behind the engine to the firewall over a Columbia 120 or a Coronado 122 (only eight inches here).

Doesn't mean anything to a driver.

But go to work on that beast and you'll appreciate the room and clearance.

The Cascadia is an even bigger nightmare to work on because of how things are shoe horned into it.

I know Fremont Contract Carriers used to sell used Carrier units for around 1200.

Carriers are genset based and tripac is inverter based.

It means anytime you are parked, the carrier will always be running to provide whatever is needed. The tripac will start and stop running as it's only needed to charge batteries. In the case of the air conditioning, it's a simply Chrysler expansion valve system that can have parts found readily at any parts counter if you've got a parts guy willing to work with you. Yes, the system will run 100% when it's on cool and the AC is running.

Working in a limited, very limited area in my T660. Next truck will definitely need to be more spacious. For the foreseeable future, it is what it is.

I have a small table sitting in the sleeper. My next goal is to either place a Varidesk on the existing table, or set something up where I can stand while on the laptop and doing invoicing and such. That is the next comfort item I need for the truck as I don’t need to be spending all my off time sitting when that is what I have been already doing most of the day.

I don't know how electronically reliant everyone else is, save MNDriver. Here's what I have, and what I do.

I have a Volvo VNL780. TV, I don't use TV. I use Netflix or Amazon Prime over my tablet. Watch what I want to watch, when I want to watch it. Stockpiled movies on a 2TB portable HDD. I have a magnet mount so that when I am laying down in bed, the screen is an arms length away. Works good. If I want a full immersive experience, I break out my Gear VR, throw my phone in it, toss in my 32DB NRR earbuds, and bob's your uncle for watching stuff. Or if I don't want the earpieces on, I just bluetooth into the truck stereo and then I have a 10 speaker and 10" sub experience.

Wifi is used in here for 3 purposes. I either need to print/scan, so I connect to my printer/scanner via Wifi. I need to file share between my phone and tablet so Wifi Direct. Or, I need internet.

If I need Internet connectivity, my first go-to is Cellular. Both my phone and my tablet are Hotspot enabled, so I just fire them up. 15GB cap per device per month, so if one runs out then I fire up the other instead of putting up with slow speeds. My second option is Wifi from truckstops or, well, anywhere I can reach/get it. I have a USB Extension cable that connects to a Wifi dongle. That dongle allows me to change up my antenna configuration. I have high-gain antennas on it, so my functional range is increased as well as reliable levels of speed.

I may be transitioning away from using the tablet, however. I have a DeX for my Note 8, and am intending on interfacing it with a touchscreen on the dash for navigation/logbook purposes, with BT connectivity and HDMI switching for use with a larger screen in back, and keyboard/mouse.

I don't know how electronically reliant everyone else is, save MNDriver. Here's what I have, and what I do.

I have a Volvo VNL780. TV, I don't use TV. I use Netflix or Amazon Prime over my tablet. Watch what I want to watch, when I want to watch it. Stockpiled movies on a 2TB portable HDD. I have a magnet mount so that when I am laying down in bed, the screen is an arms length away. Works good. If I want a full immersive experience, I break out my Gear VR, throw my phone in it, toss in my 32DB NRR earbuds, and bob's your uncle for watching stuff. Or if I don't want the earpieces on, I just bluetooth into the truck stereo and then I have a 10 speaker and 10" sub experience.

Wifi is used in here for 3 purposes. I either need to print/scan, so I connect to my printer/scanner via Wifi. I need to file share between my phone and tablet so Wifi Direct. Or, I need internet.

If I need Internet connectivity, my first go-to is Cellular. Both my phone and my tablet are Hotspot enabled, so I just fire them up. 15GB cap per device per month, so if one runs out then I fire up the other instead of putting up with slow speeds. My second option is Wifi from truckstops or, well, anywhere I can reach/get it. I have a USB Extension cable that connects to a Wifi dongle. That dongle allows me to change up my antenna configuration. I have high-gain antennas on it, so my functional range is increased as well as reliable levels of speed.

I may be transitioning away from using the tablet, however. I have a DeX for my Note 8, and am intending on interfacing it with a touchscreen on the dash for navigation/logbook purposes, with BT connectivity and HDMI switching for use with a larger screen in back, and keyboard/mouse.
This is a good setup, and one I fully intend on replicating in some ways.

The Pete 579 an the KW T680 are pretty sweet for comfort. I hate myself for saying it but the bunk area of the Freightliner is pretty comfortable but it still rides like a Freightliner.:p

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread