How safe is your trucks front axle?

Southern_Arrow

Hello All!
I do not post much and I need to post more.
I’m not advertising but - I do Heavy-Duty Wheel Alignments on-site with a new Computerized Hunter HD machine with spec printout. NOT ONLY do I recommend at least 2 times a year have a printout done of current specs and have your trucks adjusted if needed, - All Axles.
BUT THIS IS MY CONCERN. IT IS IMPARITIVE TO HAVE AND MAKE SURE
THAT THE FRICTION SHIMS IN THE LEAF STACKS ARE IN GOOD SHAPE AND NOT RUSTED OUT. If the shims rust out, then THAT MEANS THAT YOUR U-BOLTS ARE LOOSE. This is a serious situation as your center pins get more heat and are weakened by rubbing on the blocks. These can break and wiggle out. Loose U-Bolts, junk centering pins, rusted out friction shims and worn down caster wedges will lead to your front axle failure. Do you want your front axle folding underneath your truck when you go over those tracks next time? What about cruising down the highway. Please Please these inspections are simple and don’t take much time and effort. This is your safety. I was on a job today and found this condition - AGAIN. He complained of the trucks steering being loose feeling. His front axle was moving back and forth about 2 inches. I jacked up the truck and put a large Phillips head all the way through his stack of springs!!! He was in an utter state of shock. :runningaround:

Tie Rod ends, Wheel Bearing end play and Shocks have a pretty big impact on drivability and tire wear as well. Have all those inspected as well.

The bad part is- the truck was just PM’ed and stickered good.

Tap on the U-Bolts with a 4lb mini-sledge and you can tell by the sound if they are tight or loose. TIIING - good , THUD- bad. A loose bolt will let sound reverberate. Being loose - the sound will not be transferred to the leaf springs and axle. It will sound more like a rattle.
Thanks Guy's and Gal's keep on Truckin'!

Hello All!
I do not post much and I need to post more.
I’m not advertising but - I do Heavy-Duty Wheel Alignments on-site with a new Computerized Hunter HD machine with spec printout. NOT ONLY do I recommend at least 2 times a year have a printout done of current specs and have your trucks adjusted if needed, - All Axles.
BUT THIS IS MY CONCERN. IT IS IMPARITIVE TO HAVE AND MAKE SURE
THAT THE FRICTION SHIMS IN THE LEAF STACKS ARE IN GOOD SHAPE AND NOT RUSTED OUT. If the shims rust out, then THAT MEANS THAT YOUR U-BOLTS ARE LOOSE. This is a serious situation as your center pins get more heat and are weakened by rubbing on the blocks. These can break and wiggle out. Loose U-Bolts, junk centering pins, rusted out friction shims and worn down caster wedges will lead to your front axle failure. Do you want your front axle folding underneath your truck when you go over those tracks next time? What about cruising down the highway. Please Please these inspections are simple and don’t take much time and effort. This is your safety. I was on a job today and found this condition - AGAIN. He complained of the trucks steering being loose feeling. His front axle was moving back and forth about 2 inches. I jacked up the truck and put a large Phillips head all the way through his stack of springs!!! He was in an utter state of shock. :runningaround:

Tie Rod ends, Wheel Bearing end play and Shocks have a pretty big impact on drivability and tire wear as well. Have all those inspected as well.

The bad part is- the truck was just PM’ed and stickered good.

Tap on the U-Bolts with a 4lb mini-sledge and you can tell by the sound if they are tight or loose. TIIING - good , THUD- bad. A loose bolt will let sound reverberate. Being loose - the sound will not be transferred to the leaf springs and axle. It will sound more like a rattle.
Thanks Guy's and Gal's keep on Truckin'!

Thanks for the info.....great post!

Loose U-Bolts? Hmm seems like there is some of everyday activity every driver is supposed to do to check these items....

Loose U-Bolts? Hmm seems like there is some of everyday activity every driver is supposed to do to check these items....
most drivers today think a pretrip is checking the fuel gage and go.

If you don't believe me I got a bet for you we will set and watch a truck stop for one day.
for every driver that does a pretrip I will pay you $100.00

for every driver that doesn't you will pay me $10.00

quick walk arounds don't count

just bring LOTS of cash you are going to need it.

I can’t speak for everyone. But what does it hurt when your fueling up or cashing out, start rambling on to the guy next to you about different things. I know I don't know everything so I listen and throw in a few cents of my own. Might not be my customers truck but wouldn't it be just as bad if it were the truck next to you on the road out there?

So all I can say is. Since my last post 1 week ago-

I have come across 3 more trucks in the same condition.

Also-

2 motor homes were also in similar condition but those axles didn't have U-Bolts just regular bolts that loosened up.

Doing visuals and thumping is something that everyone should do. After all – it’s free right?

Almost forgot - the trucks were stickerd last month as good to roll -WTF??!!!

Merry Christmas!

Can't Check Enough...

An old Volvo I owned kept eating steer tires. The first set of tires my front end man said was due to "radial pull", and, my truck was fine. The next set of steers did the same thing. Again he said it was the tires, bla, bla, bla...

I had an ol' country boy come to my house to switch out the steers, again. By now I'd quit using new tires and was buying used. He jacked up the front, and, immediately noticed the spring bushings were completely worn out. They were so worn out that the ends of the springs were too badly damaged to re-bush. I had to have new springs.

Needless to say, I no longer patronize my former front end man's shop... :nono:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread