How often do you buy a new road atlas?

Mike

An accurate road atlas is a very important tool for truckers. While we most likely know just about every highway out there after we have driven for a while, there are constantly new roads being built, restrictions are changed for current roads, and laws regarding roads in different states change all the time. A current truckers road atlas provides you with a significant amount of current information such as low bridges, DOT contact information for individual states, various laws and requirements for individual states, and many more tools that are important to truck drivers.

Do you buy a new road atlas every year to stay on top of all the updates to the highways? Do you buy one every other year, or wait until you current atlas wears out?

I like to get a new one every year (rand mcnally, laminated version), just curious what everyone else does.

I buy the laminated one from Rand McNally every other year at least. Sometimes I will buy one the very next year.

When I don't buy a new laminated version, I still at least buy the new regular version (regular paper, cheaper).

I have a laminated Rand Mcnally trucker's atlas (2007 version). This is my first atlas.

Is it important to always have a new one? I noticed there is quite a bit of trucking related information in it, I am assuming that alot of that changes from year to year.

Is it important to always have a new one? I noticed there is quite a bit of trucking related information in it, I am assuming that alot of that changes from year to year.

I think it is a good idea to buy a new atlas every year. For as long as I can remember, there has bee updated information each and every year.

I puchase one every year, sometimes twice a year when I take mine into the house for some reason and forget it when I leave out :)

I had one laminated I had for yrs that worked for me.Untill I was missing too many pages I ripped out from getting mad because I couldn't find the place or my dispatcher made me angry then I got a new one.I wait till they go on sale and buy one

My last one was a freebie at GATS 3 years ago.
The one before that was a freebie from MATS a coupla years previous.

I used to buy a new one every year, I haven't done that in a while. I am using my '06 laminated one and it is falling apart. When it does finally fall apart completely I will just stop going to the U.S.

I have one. 2005. Never even opened it. If you know how to use a GPS there's no need for one.

When I was OTR, every other year. That's about the time mine would be worn out anyway.

For the 2007 and before folks, take a look at Knoxville. The big interchange was completely redone during that time. That's only one example of how roads change from new construction or whatever changes the current crop of road engineers and city planners make. I believe Hwy 78 has been renamed I-26 (or something). Old Devil's Hwy (666 in Utah) was renamed Hwy 491 because too many of the signs were getting stolen.

It's a good idea to update on occasion.

Yes, knowing how to use a GPS as a tool rather than a crutch is a good idea. But it's not always going to be the right answer. Use it as a crutch and you're likely to find yourself faced with a 12'4" underpass and no idea how to get around it. Even GPS has the shortcoming of slow updates.

I have never used GPS in my truck. @SkateBoard has used GPS his entire time driving. We are both successful in finding our way. It's what works for you, always remembering they're all just tools. You still have to be the master of the tool...in other words, don't blindly follow anything without checking your route somehow. Use your head.

I do have to admit I'm a geek and know how to fully use my GPS. The only time the GPS got me was way out West on 90. It told me to take the next exit and then told me to get back on. It still does it today and get a chuckle out of it.

I do have to admit I'm a geek and know how to fully use my GPS. The only time the GPS got me was way out West on 90. It told me to take the next exit and then told me to get back on. It still does it today and get a chuckle out of it.
In electronic mapping, the roads are vector paths and connected to each other with nodes. Sometimes two paths won't be joined by a node, or a place where a bridge crosses over a road will have the wrong kind of connection shown and the GPS either thinks it's a 4-way intersection or that one of the two roads doesn't go through.

There's a spot around the 270-something mile marker (give or take 30 miles or so) on the Ohio Turnpike where those PACCAR in-dash GPS units will tell you to get off and take local roads the rest of the way to Youngstown.

I never wasted money on those 'truck specific' GPS's. I've been using Google Maps on my iPhone for years in conjunction with my atlas and experience.

Its been a few years since I got a new one. Has the huge black pit of hell formerly known as "New Joisey" been paved over yet? No??? Must not be time ta git a new un then!

:toothpick:

How many of you use an Atlas vs. GPS? Or do you prefer both?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread