How Much is too Much?

jaiart

With the new hippa laws how much info do we need to reveal to potential employers?

Geez, ... government says jump and some people ask "how high?".

Any fields you don't want to answer, just put "N/A". If asked, say it's not applicable because it's none of their GDFing business.

What does HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) have to do with employment questions?

All that is, is when you go to the doctor, hospital or whatever, an extra form you sign giving the provider permission to talk to the insurance company about what's wrong with you so the health care provider can get paid.

If you want health insurance through your employer, you answer the health questions. That information goes to the insurance company. Your employer, unless it is an insurance company, is not involved or affected by HIPAA.

And HIPAA is not new. It's been in effect since 1996.

What I mean is that hippa insures more privacy in general. Some of these companies ask way too much. If it doesn't impact the drive then it isn't their business.

What does HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) have to do with employment questions?

All that is, is when you go to the doctor, hospital or whatever, an extra form you sign giving the provider permission to talk to the insurance company about what's wrong with you so the health care provider can get paid.

If you want health insurance through your employer, you answer the health questions. That information goes to the insurance company. Your employer, unless it is an insurance company, is not involved or affected by HIPAA.

And HIPAA is not new. It's been in effect since 1996.

The way I understand it, hippa applies to everyone. Unless its a workers comp issue. Other then that your employer doesn't have a inherent right to your health info. Obviously if it effects the job then yes they should know about it but other then that. "Noneya"

They can ask. Doesn't mean I have to answer.

And if they say I can't work for them if I don't answer they can kiss my ass. I don't have to work for them.

That's what I said to a couple of companies I applied at back in 2005 when they wanted me to sign a form giving them permission to report stuff about me to DAC.

HIPA is information the company may or may not divulge and has nothing to do with an application for employment.

There's a whole different can of worms for that one.

Did I spell that out well enough for everyone to understand?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread