How many people like what they do?

Well, well, well.....

11 years huh?

1st of all, I didn't specify that "I" personally was broken. I've seen a lot of guys come into this industry looking for that misleading financial fortune.

I've seen guys quit time and time again who had wives or family that could not handle them being gone for long periods of time, and "that" was their deciding factor to drop out. I've talked to both parties in marriages that just couldn't stand the distance... or the neglect.

Also, as far as physicality is concerned, I have been working out stringently and consistently my whole life. If I posted pictures, people would have something to say, but I have always been able to see my abs clearly, I don't drink, smoke or do drugs. I am now in my mid fifties and I am in the same shape I was when I was competing in the Far Westerns as a Butterflier. I had contending times in the 100 and 200 meter freestyle and butterfly. I don't mention these things, but you start of each statement you make with "wrong, wrong, wrong" and then I see that you've only been out here less than ONE THIRD of the time I've been out here.

What qualifies you to make those statements towards me? Maybe if you talked to a rookie you could use your podium, but in the overall scheme of things, you really have not yet done your time, at least not enough to be where I am... whether it is in a good place or bad.

Don't talk about relationship problems yet brother. They don't happen overnight. I don't know what kind of shape you are in personally, but I would be curious to see if we are even close in that aspect.

I've had good jobs, I've had bad. My first two I stayed at for 15 years each.

Your statements towards me ... well, you really can't qualify them in my world.

Would you be surprised to find that I have "NEVER" sat at a buffet in my life? Never touched a drop of alcohol? I'm gonna get a bunch of crap for this because I am defending myself because you took it upon your youngster self to misread or mis-perceive what I was saying.

Get another 20 or more years under your belt. Watch your wife grow old (along with yourself) watch your kids grow up, and watch your grandchildren grow. Whether it be from pictures or from actually getting to spend time with them.

You got a response... didn't you? Think about it. You just STARTED. To me? Eleven years is a drop in a hat.

Here is one picture since I can't help myself. I was just turning 20.

new highway me and tigger.jpg

Also the question the OP asked wasn't referring to general discussion. He was specific on whether or not YOU still liked the job.

By the way, your general points were wrong.

Last edited:
Wrong. I happen to still like this job after 11 years. If I didn't like it I'd quit a long time ago. Maybe you need to quit.

Wrong again. If it breaks your mental fortitude then you weren't mentally strong enough to begin with. If the job breaks the relationship then it wasn't a 'true' one to begin with, and lack of exercise is your fault. You can do sit-ups, crunches, push-ups, and other excercises in your truck every day. I weigh 150 after 11 years. Also you have the option to eat healthier.

Wrong again. I've been very successful. It's called going out there and getting what you want instead of sitting at the buffet bar complaining. Good jobs do exist.

FYI, I was homeless when I started trucking. Now I own a home and 2 cars. The cars are paid off, and my home will be paid off in 10 years. When I retire, I'll retire with a sizable 401k, no mortgage, no car payments and no other debt.
congratz:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Well, well, well.....

11 years huh?

1st of all, I didn't specify that "I" personally was broken. I've seen a lot of guys come into this industry looking for that misleading financial fortune.

I've seen guys quit time and time again who had wives or family that could not handle them being gone for long periods of time, and "that" was their deciding factor to drop out. I've talked to both parties in marriages that just couldn't stand the distance... or the neglect.

Also, as far as physicality is concerned, I have been working out stringently and consistently my whole life. If I posted pictures, people would have something to say, but I have always been able to see my abs clearly, I don't drink, smoke or do drugs. I am now in my mid fifties and I am in the same shape I was when I was competing in the Far Westerns as a Butterflier. I had contending times in the 100 and 200 meter freestyle and butterfly. I don't mention these things, but you start of each statement you make with "wrong, wrong, wrong" and then I see that you've only been out here less than ONE THIRD of the time I've been out here.

What qualifies you to make those statements towards me? Maybe if you talked to a rookie you could use your podium, but in the overall scheme of things, you really have not yet done your time, at least not enough to be where I am... whether it is in a good place or bad.

Don't talk about relationship problems yet brother. They don't happen overnight. I don't know what kind of shape you are in personally, but I would be curious to see if we are even close in that aspect.

I've had good jobs, I've had bad. My first two I stayed at for 15 years each.

Your statements towards me ... well, you really can't qualify them in my world.

Would you be surprised to find that I have "NEVER" sat at a buffet in my life? Never touched a drop of alcohol? I'm gonna get a bunch of crap for this because I am defending myself because you took it upon your youngster self to misread or mis-perceive what I was saying.

Get another 20 or more years under your belt. Watch your wife grow old (along with yourself) watch your kids grow up, and watch your grandchildren grow. Whether it be from pictures or from actually getting to spend time with them.

You got a response... didn't you? Think about it. You just STARTED. To me? Eleven years is a drop in a hat.

View attachment 39620

and this is what i looked like in my 20's....

damn, i had hair (on my head) back then..

Also the question the OP asked wasn't referring to general discussion. He was specific on whether or not YOU still liked the job.

By the way, your general points were wrong.
And 'this' is why I love the forum life so much.....

Misperception.

Hey, if it's on my behalf, so be it.

I'm tired, I admit it. I've seen these stretches of road so many times over again and I've also seen my share of B.S....

I said it: "Maybe I need to quit"... but, I've vested this much time in it, why would I want to do that so close to retirement?

I'm not so sure I missed the points he was attempting to make, but if YOU say so, then maybe it IS so....

Truly?

(The opinions here won't make or break me, I would actually like to help people rather than continuously see topics turn into hate and discontent)... and I'm just as guilty of that as any other person.

So.....

So?

I'm 35. I was 24 when I started OTR. Nice work on the age discrimination.
Please.....

You can't be serious with that comment.... can you?

I'm almost 55. I started working on bigrigs when I was about 14 and driving at any opportunity.

"Discrimination?"

That's how you see my point? I'm just saying GIVE IT MORE TIME before you start talking to me about your problems after only 11 years of driving.

The same as if I were going to compare myself to a 70 year old trucker who started long before I did and manages to run circles around me. I wouldn't be qualified.

Is it that hard to understand, or does it just so happen that every topic on this forum is destined for a meltdown of some sort?

I pointed out that your general rants were wrong. I started with Werner and later with CR England, so there's nothing these newer drivers are going through that I haven't already been through. You didn't need to go forum Rambo on me.

Wait! There's a buffet? What did I miss?
I had to fight a guy for the last of the jalapeño cheese roller dogs at Love's and all the buns were stale and crusty.
Then the cheese dispenser splattered and got nacho cheese all over my sleeve!
This is why I usually bring a sammich from home, but we were out of mustard and I can't eat Bologna without mustard. That's just vulgar and obscene.

I enjoy the job as a whole. I dislike dealing with some locations due to retarded design or people at that location, but all said and done it's one of the best gigs for me personally.

new-highway-me-and-tigger-jpg.39620
You're the guy in the orange pajamas, ain't ya? :leer:

As for me and how I feel about the job, overall, I like what I do. I've been at this for ten years, now. I have a couple'a irons in the fire at the moment and a possible major change on the horizon, but I will remain in this industry, pretty much doing the same thing for the foreseeable future. There is a certain amount of dissatisfaction with a few aspects of this, but perhaps there will be something come up soon that will eliminate or alleviate most of it.

Nothing makes you realize your own mortality like facing it down and spitting in its eye. But nothing else will make you honestly evaluate your station like experiencing a close brush with an abrupt and final end. During the last two years, I have survived two such incidents.

Do I love my job? Absolutely.

Do I love the current parameters within which I do my job? Well, maybe not so much.

I love my paycheck. I'd rather sleep though. I would even take a small pay cut if I could snooze for a living.

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread