How many miles did you drive today?

Chain it to a tree and drive away :)
Right...

If there were a tree on site.

tempted to just have a wrecker there and be done with it.

it weighs all of 6000#

UncleBirchy said:
I have a question about those Tag Axles..

How come alot of times they be up but the wheels still spinning even though not engaged
Wind.

More wind exposure on the bottom of the tires than on the top.

Insulation is key...

Most stock trucks aren't very well insulated..

There's a video out there of an Owner Op reinsulating his own rig ..

YouTube maybe but I can't remember exactly..
If I owned the truck, I'd make a lot of changes to it but I don't.

By the looks of this tropical storm, I may not have it much longer. I'm in Richmond, VA with "take cover" warnings every few mins. Flash flooding too....glad I'm back I missed this stuff! :rolllaugh:

They free spin when lifted
Yeah, we already established that. The question was why.

The fact they're off the ground and the brakes are released isn't the whole answer. They won't likely spin while the truck is parked. Only when moving. But with no contact with the ground, the question is what force makes them start spinning. All I can think of is wind.

Unless Birch was referring to why do they spin at toll booths.

Back when we had to pay cash tolls in Illinois, I used to see dump truck drivers lift their tag axles rolling into a toll booth so they can save a couple bucks because the toll for trucks was set by the number of axles on the ground.

Last edited:
Mine don’t spin unless they tap the ground from a big bounce coming off a bridge...

A264C401-1F86-4CD1-A30C-BC8B0465E332.jpeg

tough one today. 273. Shut down early last night to give me something to do today.

two drops and now waiting for a crane appointment at 8 am.

70F5341F-405A-44EA-AF69-16C68161E291.jpeg

289. More than the 170 I expected.

I was also loaded today at 1 pm instead of tomorrow morning.

got a full day of nothing but driving tomorrow. 1050 miles to make by Monday morning.

Loaded up nightmare through Toronto almost equally "fun" cluster**** through Montreal then some nice two laning into Northern Quebec. A little over two hours to delivery in the morning.

IMG_20200806_214327.jpg

Wind... thats a good one :biglaugh:

I see dump trucks doin that a lot. Could be either no brakes on em or he raised it while jake brakin to a stop
What other force would put them in motion other than recent or unintentional contact with the ground?

Construction on I40 in Knoxville and 55 mph Virginia permit speed limit only got 580 miles down the road.

Within range to get to where I got to go tomorrow with no issues with curfews.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread