How long have you been driving?

Got my first truck (& pull trailer) in 1964, farm plates

well, still a rookie. Been at it since 1989, I guess that is about 23 years. Although only one year of OTR driving, before the wife gave me a offer I could not refuse. Then I did local dairy then LTL, and now line haul. But, all is well and still trying to decide when to call it quits. Wife wants me to pull the plug next year, but I dont know. First I want her to go back to OTR with me for a little while. Dont know why, I guess just to take her with me. But, that will never happen so i will see how much longer until she gives me another offer I cannot refuse. Just deciding when I want to start my Social Security, 62,66 or 70.

What is this you call "social security" ? Do they give you money or something for your years of giving it to them first ?
well, still a rookie. Been at it since 1989, I guess that is about 23 years. Although only one year of OTR driving, before the wife gave me a offer I could not refuse. Then I did local dairy then LTL, and now line haul. But, all is well and still trying to decide when to call it quits. Wife wants me to pull the plug next year, but I dont know. First I want her to go back to OTR with me for a little while. Dont know why, I guess just to take her with me. But, that will never happen so i will see how much longer until she gives me another offer I cannot refuse. Just deciding when I want to start my Social Security, 62,66 or 70.

That is the way it is supposed to work, since they have stole it from me for over 43 years now. Kind of hoping to get my money back. Think with all the I.O.U's in there that I might have a chance of getting my fair share?

Just deciding when I want to start my Social Security, 62,66 or 70.

I personally would like to retire at 62.

Sadly though, it looks more like 65.

Then when I reach 65, it may be at 68.

There just isn't any exact age anymore, like our parents. My dad "retired" at 65. But then, he worked "part time" as a general maintenance man, tending the the gardens and general upkeep of buildings. He needed to, as SS was not enough. Now he is 88 years old, and he had "finally retired", at 75.

With the amount of taxes taken out of everyone, and the guberments mishandling of all the monies, is a crying shame to all retiree's.

I've been 18 wheel drivin since spring '85. Basically, drivin me whole life as a cab driver or garage attendant. Guess that's goin 27 years tractor/trailer. Man, also hope to not have to work full time by 65. 62, they'll just under pay your social security. Damn gov't., can't hardly do anything right any more.

A lot has changed.

There's an understatement... My first OTR truck was a B-model Mack, Thermodyne motor, air starter, duplex tranny took both hands to shift so you steered with your knees... 38-ft steel body trailers (40-footers were just showing up..) with round noses, fixed tandems, Dayton wheels with killer lock rings... Interstate wasn't done yet, Cleveland to Chicago put you on old Route-2 most of the way... spent most of your time wiping fog off the inside of your windshield in the winter 'cause the heater/defroster didn't work for beans... windshields usually leaked, right onto your shoes... carried a good supply of rags to stuff around the doghouse to try and keep the engine fumes out of the cab...

Ahhhh... the good ol' days...

I started in 2008. I never ran the road either.

Started local and am currently a Line-Haul Driver for a LTL company out of Dayton, Ohio.

I've been 18 wheel drivin since spring '85. Basically, drivin me whole life as a cab driver or garage attendant. Guess that's goin 27 years tractor/trailer. Man, also hope to not have to work full time by 65. 62, they'll just under pay your social security. Damn gov't., can't hardly do anything right any more.

Actually, a very good friend of mine retired at 62. He "did the math" and found that he earned MORE money retiring at 62, than HIS friends did when they retired at 65. in other words, he collected monies they couldn't, because they chose to wait longer. Sure, he gets less than they do (monthly) but he is ahead of the game as he collected earlier. I think he collected around $30,000 more. (up front).

There's an understatement... My first OTR truck was a B-model Mack, Thermodyne motor, air starter, duplex tranny took both hands to shift so you steered with your knees... 38-ft steel body trailers (40-footers were just showing up..) with round noses, fixed tandems, Dayton wheels with killer lock rings... Interstate wasn't done yet, Cleveland to Chicago put you on old Route-2 most of the way... spent most of your time wiping fog off the inside of your windshield in the winter 'cause the heater/defroster didn't work for beans... windshields usually leaked, right onto your shoes... carried a good supply of rags to stuff around the doghouse to try and keep the engine fumes out of the cab...

Ahhhh... the good ol' days...

Dayum. You are ol . . . um, well, you've been at it a long time, for sure! ;)

As a boy I rode along in rigs like that. Oh, yes, things have changed indeed! The n00bs coming along today haven't a clue, do they? Air conditioning, AM/FM/Satellite radio, electric windows, tilt columns, self canceling turn signals, well appointed sleepers, air ride seats, air ride suspension, electric wipers and washers, a ride that compares to a 1/2 ton pickup, blah, blah, blah.

As a boy I rode along in rigs like that. Oh, yes, things have changed indeed! The n00bs coming along today haven't a clue, do they? Air conditioning, AM/FM/Satellite radio, electric windows, tilt columns, self canceling turn signals, well appointed sleepers, air ride seats, air ride suspension, electric wipers and washers, a ride that compares to a 1/2 ton pickup, blah, blah, blah.

Don't forget about electric headlamps, roll up windows, and in cab heaters.

If you were given a choice between an old cabover from the 1970's or a brand new truck, what would you pick?

Neither....But the old truck would probrbly be more reliable than the new POS.

If it isn't worn out, that is. Actually I wouldn't want to drive anything manufactured after 12/31/09. The ones built after 12/31/06 are bad enough. But not from a creature comfort perspective, they're just mechanical nightmares because of the tree hugger BS they're required to have.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread