• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

How is Heartland Express

mesquite5

Anybody out there drive for Heartland? I hear the don't allow inverters in their trucks. The pay looks good, but I'm wondering if they get you home and how often.

Since this is the recommend a good company forum, I'm not sure if I should answer, but I will anyway. First, no inverters are not allowed. Any size, if found in your truck is an instant termination. The pay isn't bad (per mile) but they don't pay practical miles. They use the Household Movers Guide for mileage calculations, which isn't truck route specific. And the home time is the reason I am leaving the company. Check the other section of the forum for a better explanation on this.

So how often did they get you home?I go past Iowa City alot,yesterday they had a line all around the lot waiting to go thru the safety lane.
Since this is the recommend a good company forum, I'm not sure if I should answer, but I will anyway. First, no inverters are not allowed. Any size, if found in your truck is an instant termination. The pay isn't bad (per mile) but they don't pay practical miles. They use the Household Movers Guide for mileage calculations, which isn't truck route specific. And the home time is the reason I am leaving the company. Check the other section of the forum for a better explanation on this.

First off, the company's definition of a weekend is a 34 hour restart. For one of their weekends, I usually have to wait 3 or 4 weeks. While this may not sound unusual at first, Heartland does not schedule home time. You go home when they tell you you can, for the length of time they allow you to. May be 34 hours, may be 3 days, may only be 10 hours.
Home time is getting worse lately due to a major increase in freight. Makes miles better, but the money is useless (to me) if I don't get to enjoy it with my wife and kids.

That would suck.What companies like this one do not understand is how important hometime is to the drivers because they can go home everynite to family,enjoy a nice meal at the table,nice bed ,shower the whole 9 yds.Plus it's just nice getting out of the trk for a few days.
First off, the company's definition of a weekend is a 34 hour restart. For one of their weekends, I usually have to wait 3 or 4 weeks. While this may not sound unusual at first, Heartland does not schedule home time. You go home when they tell you you can, for the length of time they allow you to. May be 34 hours, may be 3 days, may only be 10 hours.
Home time is getting worse lately due to a major increase in freight. Makes miles better, but the money is useless (to me) if I don't get to enjoy it with my wife and kids.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread