HOW DO YOU KEEP COOL WHEN YOU CAN'T RUN YOUR TRUCK ENGINE?

IOUGOD2

I can only imagine how hot it must be in your truck when you're not allowed to keep the engine running while you sleep. What type of AC alternative do you have? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.:help:

If I am going to run in areas that have policies against this, as a company driver I will only work for places that have trucks equipped with APU's unless the company was willing to pay any fines I got. If I was an owner operator, I wouldn't run in those areas unless I had an APU on my own truck.

I'm not sleeping in a hot or humid truck. When the people who make these laws want to start sleeping with all their windows and doors open in their house during the Summer, then they can talk to me about conserving fuel.

I had that problem last yr only my AC just plain did'nt work.One day I got a room the company paid for it.The next day I did sleep in the trk but almost unbareable.Maybe buy a fan and throw water on you,that's a temporary fix.I drove for a company that had that idle policy and under certain weather conditions drivers should be allowed to idle.That weekend when I did'nt have AC in sweltering Texas.A nice CFI driver let me and Tiny,that's my dog,enjoy his AC.It's all about safeth so the law and companies say,well how is one spose to get a good night sleep in a hot trk or cold trk.Company staff don't do that.They have a nice office with heat and AC.

Getting a motel room isn't always feasible or possible and turning in the bill doesn't mean you'll get reimbursed unless SUCH IS STATED ON COMPANY PAPERWORK IN ORIENTATION.
Not allowing Drivers their comfort because Idling is somehow "polluting the environment" isn't condusive to prolonged Driving.
I made a few attempts at such "No Idling" protocol and discovered what I already knew: NO CHANCE TO GET DECENT REST.
Some companies pay for IdleAire yet these are few and far between and NOT VERY AVAILABLE in Califorkya except at random locations, same in Floriduh and Texass.

I'm GLAD I'm not running OTR anymore (since late '08) for I wouldn't be anyways since I refuse to adhere to any "no idling" sanctions regardless of company dictates and state mandates.

GOOD LUCK yet if there is no APU, you're not going to do very well in trucking when attempting to rest, so just don't rest or get a local gig somehow.
patriciajnsn= Maybe buy a fan and throw water on you,that's a temporary fix.
Great idea. Not only does it do nothing for the HEAT, it as well saturates the bunk.
Not a good idea with these newer trucks having NO BUNK AIR VENTS OR WINDOWS.
---
New Trucking: NO REST FOR THE WEARY!!

I tend to run up North more in the Summer. Of course I have to come home every two weeks or so. I found a good deal on a brand new Thermoking I have, yet, to install. I should get that done within the month, before it gets too hot in texas.

I use to work for TMC and they don't like idling much. Plus, you got extra point for your pay if your idle was low. Mine was usually at about 4%.

I've tried everything. Fans are a must, sometimes a couple. The turbo fan, works, but is noisy and breaks every few months. The fantastic fan is a must. You can hook it in front of your opened window and it will draw the cooler night air into your sleeper, then have the turbo fan blowing on you, it makes it tolerable.

Get the windscreens. The offer some security and allow the cooler air inside, while keeping out the bugs.

They make an airconditioner of sorts, it has a bin to put ice in and a fan blows or suck air across the ice. It works somewhat, until the ice melts, which doesn't take long. So you will be up several times during the night going inside to buy ice. It has a misting function on it. That does keep you cooler, but you will wake up with a soaked bed. I wouldn't use one again.

You can keep a wet face cloth handy, get naked and wipe yourself down all night. That has, obvious, disadvantages.

Plan your driving so you are sleeping in the coolest part of the day. Run your A/C to get your sleeper cold before you stop. Hopefully, you will get some rest before it gets too hot.

Take a shower before going to bed, maybe don't towel off as thoroughly as you normally do. Just being clean helps me sleep better.

Find a good set of the reflective sun screens. They will lower the temerature in your truck considerably.

Park in the shade.

Park so you have a good breeze coming in through the windows.

Drink a cold drink before you sleep, it will cool your insides. You'll have to get up to pee, but it works somewhat.

Sleep on something that doesn't reflect the heat back onto you.

Just a few ideas that work for me. Can't wait to install my APU, though!

oh come on guys remember back in the day when we never heard of apu's and it was hot and sticky and we had the sleeper door open and our biggest worry was the mosquitoes carting ya off?

I just got this AC fixed finally.I started bugging Craig to fix it before summer hits.I don't like to sleep with the windows open and those vents are too small.My company could care less if we idle.Heck my boss/owner does it all the time.

I have always idled regardless of where I am,Unless I had an A.P.U.I have become accustomed to the sound of the engine and it's like white noise for me.It blocks out the sound of the idiot that comes in with the Jakes screaming,The reefer guy that always has to park next to me and the guy with the super loud spit valve that spits every 4 seconds

There was a story many years back up in my area,Where a certain company I won't name but they have orange trucks didn't want the drivers to Idle and had a bonus for low idle time.Two drivers froze to death in their sleep. To make that bonus , Protect the environment. and save the company money on fuel.I hope it was Worth it.

Yep and companies could care less.Each day is business as usual.
There was a story many years back up in my area,Where a certain company I won't name but they have orange trucks didn't want the drivers to Idle and had a bonus for low idle time.Two drivers froze to death in their sleep. To make that bonus , Protect the environment. and save the company money on fuel.I hope it was Worth it.

My company says they want me to have quality rest so I can be safe out here on the road. Quality rest comes at a price. I drive for Swift and I have gotten a few messages about high idle time. If that is all they are bitchin' about, I consider it a fair trade. I told them to go home and turn off their A/C and try and sleep with sweat coming out of their armpits and tell me how they feel in the morning. Nobody wanted to take me up on that challenge. So I say idle away.

Years ago before the advent of refrigerated A/C in trucks, we would just rig up a hammock with "C" clamps, then attach it to the cross members under a trailer, & use mosquito netting over you to keep the bugs a bay.( and take a cattle prod to bed with you..was great fun giving the working girls a "boost")

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread