How do you get back in truck after a failed drug test ?

RamblingPete

Anyone know of any companies that will listen to reality? I realize some companies just can't hire no matter what because of their insurance carrier but I just had a conversation with someone from ATS that opened my eyes to the situation I am really facing . I mean that he lied and said I spoke to them yesterday is one thing ( my permanent phone log proves I only had one call yesterday and they left a 2 second message asking for me then hung up , last call was 3 days prior to that ... Technology has its advantages) but then he had the nerve to call me a liar . Now I posted the details about how I was drugged and that all the experts involved are backing me because the evidence supports my claim ( including actual test numbers due to the fact that I had multiple test in a short period of time ) . Problem is the liar I spoke to on the phone said I am a liar and the experts don't know what their talking about . Now if this is what I'm facing how am I supposed to get back to work ? Like I stated in my previous post I have absolutely no history of any kind involving drugs or alcohol that shows any kind of possibility that this was anything other than a random criminal act against me . ( For those of you that think you can use this as an excuse to use drugs , you can't . There is a mathematical formula that shows how drugs were used and even how often . For me I have hair past my shoulders and that was an additional backing to my statement since my drug test on hair follicle can go way back beyond the normal 90 days that my prior company test hair for and it shows there was NO SUBSTANCE of any kind prior to that one instance , which again the follicle data supports it WAS JUST ONE INSTANCE AND ONE DOSE . )
So anyone ever have even a failed drug test at your own fault and got back to work ? If so how ? Furthermore anyone in Florida looking for a good driver with a clean CSA Score ? Also have my TWIC for port entry and my Passport so would be willing to travel into Canada. Have 7 years experience and 800,000 plus miles with no accidents or tickets .

actually you only have a few choices, get an attorney which would get pretty expensive, do the drug rehab that the government wants [whether you did it to yourself of it was slipped to you doesn't matter you tested dirty], or I hate to say it but find another line of work.

I've already gone through SAP . Have completed recommendation and both the SAP and The Counselor I went to agree that everything points to fact that I was victim of a random crime . My SAP even suggested I wait a month before applying for jobs this way fresh follicle test will support the conclusion the she , the counselor and the Test tech all came to , that I was telling the truth .
That's the only reason I waited extra time and didn't rush through treatment. Basically my hair will now show the one spike 6 months almost 6 months ago and will verify that there is no actual drug use and that I WAS A RANDOM Victim. I mean what is the point of being honest your whole life if nobody cares about honesty ? That's all this comes down to .

You can fail drug tests, clean up, and still find trucking jobs. I only know this because I have friends, and friends of friends, who have been popped on a random, even caught with the mess in their trucks, and still manage to find work.

Tell your story, be 100% honest, and let each and every company know you simply want another chance. If this is what you want to do for a living, the last thing I would do is give up. You might get dozens and dozens of "no" answers, but all you need is one "yes".

I have a letter from my counselor that simply states she can't find anything that leads her to believe I have a substance abuse problem.
What seems to be the real problem is I am daring to defend myself. I mean I could have a DUI in my background ( in some cases even 2 or 3 ) and that's fine but dare be a victim of a crime at a bar and might as well just be in an intensive care ward stating I am infected with bubonic plague. The worst part is like I've pointed out , I'm not a bad driver ... Hell at my last company I was a top 50 driver . I mean I would never say I'm God's gift to trucking but for most part I have the kind of driving and employment longevity record that companies drool over . Worst part is that all the experts really have sided with me but it seems like that scares trucking companies for some reason . Fact is the science that proves I'm telling the truth only does one of two things . It proves addicts are addicts definitively and it proves when someone really has been exposed in some way at an isolated time .
All these companies like to say , THE SCIENCE PROVES THIS and STUDIES BACK THAT and STATISTICS SHOW , but then you use science to prove your telling the truth and well they run light roaches in the light .
Guess when you come to think of it though , they would run from truth when most spend their lives lying to drivers . ( Like I said that guy from that company earlier ... AST? Insisted I talked to them the day before and when I told him I have a permanent phone log he just paused then went on with , WELL AS WE TOLD YOU YESTERDAY. .. I mean come on I told the guy I had proof in my hand that I never spoke to them and he just continued to lie to me about our supposed conversation. Hell my phone log has been recording every number I call or that calls me since I got my first smart phone 6 years ago . Thanks to Google I can tell you what numbers I called and vise versa and at what time on any date you want . My new phone even stores how long voice messages were . Gotta love technology) But anyway it really just feels like they don't want the truth . They want us to just say what they say and how they say it and just fall in line and just take their orders no matter what like good little Nazi's.
I'm not going to just give up my career though . I've busted my ass for this career and I've done everything as right as I can so I can say I am a professional and not just a seat cover .

Anyone know of any companies that will listen to reality? I realize some companies just can't hire no matter what because of their insurance carrier but I just had a conversation with someone from ATS that opened my eyes to the situation I am really facing . I mean that he lied and said I spoke to them yesterday is one thing ( my permanent phone log proves I only had one call yesterday and they left a 2 second message asking for me then hung up , last call was 3 days prior to that ... Technology has its advantages) but then he had the nerve to call me a liar . Now I posted the details about how I was drugged and that all the experts involved are backing me because the evidence supports my claim ( including actual test numbers due to the fact that I had multiple test in a short period of time ) . Problem is the liar I spoke to on the phone said I am a liar and the experts don't know what their talking about . Now if this is what I'm facing how am I supposed to get back to work ? Like I stated in my previous post I have absolutely no history of any kind involving drugs or alcohol that shows any kind of possibility that this was anything other than a random criminal act against me . ( For those of you that think you can use this as an excuse to use drugs , you can't . There is a mathematical formula that shows how drugs were used and even how often . For me I have hair past my shoulders and that was an additional backing to my statement since my drug test on hair follicle can go way back beyond the normal 90 days that my prior company test hair for and it shows there was NO SUBSTANCE of any kind prior to that one instance , which again the follicle data supports it WAS JUST ONE INSTANCE AND ONE DOSE . )
So anyone ever have even a failed drug test at your own fault and got back to work ? If so how ? Furthermore anyone in Florida looking for a good driver with a clean CSA Score ? Also have my TWIC for port entry and my Passport so would be willing to travel into Canada. Have 7 years experience and 800,000 plus miles with no accidents or tickets .

RamblingPete,

We found this helpful info at go2asap.com:

"In order to be eligible to perform safety sensitive duties, the employee in violation must successfully complete the DOT Return to Duty Process. This process involves being evaluated by a DOT qualified Substance Abuse Professional (SAP), completing treatment and/or education as recommended by the SAP, and a follow-up evaluation by the SAP. The time it takes to complete the DOT SAP process varies and depends upon the level of treatment and education recommended for the employee, as well as the employee’s dedication to the process. The SAP is not an advocate for the employee or the employer. Rather the SAPs function is to protect the public’s interest in safety."

I have finished all that . Have letter from SAP recommending the minimum requirement for D.O.T random drug testing of 6 times in next year back to work and have letter from Counselor stating she can find no evidence of drug use or addiction and has certified I can safely return to work .
My real problem is the ONLY PEOPLE that believe me seem to be the people TRAINED and EXPERIENCED to detect such issues . The people who just believe what they want to believe are the ones that choose whether or not to hire me .

The people who just believe what they want to believe are the ones that choose whether or not to hire me

That's the problem... there are so many who are addicted and/or don't want to give up the high. Carriers (reputable) don't want to take the chance because of what a driver who relapses and pops a hot sample will do to their CSA score, let alone the liability that can result from an accident.

You'll probably have to find a bottom feeder to drive for, or let enough time pass for this to not be a factor.

I know that's not what you want to hear. Sucks.

Keep pounding on doors, and bending ears. Good luck.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread