House Republicans Ask Trump To Eliminate Two Controversial Trucking Regulations

Tazz

Infidel
House Republicans Ask Trump To Eliminate Two Controversial Trucking Regulations

ELD's and the (proposed) speed limiter mandate.

Hopefully they get rid of CSA and roll diesel emissions requirements back to pre-EGR too.
Have to rewrite a couple of things on ELD's. That was not just a regulation done by the Obama administration despite OOIDA's misinformation campaign. It was written into a highway omnibus bill back under Bush, stemming from a NTSB and FHWSA request.

To my knowledge speed limiters have not been written into a bill yet.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
Have to rewrite a couple of things on ELD's. That was not just a regulation done by the Obama administration despite OOIDA's misinformation campaign. It was written into a highway omnibus bill back under Bush, stemming from a NTSB and FHWSA request.

I don't care who done it. Trump needs to undo it. Because it's bullshit.

Right now there's a Swift truck taking up half the freakin gas station in town, one mile from his terminal, because he thought he could make it but ran out of hours and has no wiggle room.

That's unacceptable regulatory BULLSHIT and there's just no rational argument that can be made in support of it.

The speed limiter thing, as far as I know is just a proposal but maybe there's a way it can be stopped in it's tracks before it causes nationwide snail races.

Blood

Driveler Emeritus

Speed limiters aren't even a proposed regulation...
yet.

Tazz

Infidel
I don't care who done it. Trump needs to undo it. Because it's bullshit.

Right now there's a Swift truck taking up half the freakin gas station in town, one mile from his terminal, because he thought he could make it but ran out of hours and has no wiggle room.

That's unacceptable regulatory BULLSHIT and there's just no rational argument that can be made in support of it.

The speed limiter thing, as far as I know is just a proposal but maybe there's a way it can be stopped in it's tracks before it causes nationwide snail races.
He should have driven the two damn minutes and laughed at the violation.

Once again it was not an elog that made him stop, but the regulations themselves.

Tazz

Infidel
Take your pick.

FMCSA harassed drivers with another HOS change That was their headline when a court ordered change happened as a result of a lawsuit they were a co-plaintiff in. Suddenly they had forgotten all about the fact they filed for the change.

I read somewhere that Spencer was doing much like Duck (paraphrasing) saying "We need to convince Darling that all these mandates the FMCSA is arbitrarily issuing such as EOBRS are above their mandate"

As I mentioned they were part of an omnibus bill. The FMCSA is doing exactly what Congress told them to in that bill.

OOIDA is very good at yellow journalism, and self promotion. They may even provide some good, however I old never recommend them as an authoritative source for the reasons mentioned.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
I would have stopped, placed myself off duty and then crept to the yard at 15 mph. ...or just driven the mile after going off duty. If it can be done in under five minutes and you place yourself off duty immediately when you get there, it won't log as driving time.

But most Swifties don't know that little fake-around.

Tazz

Infidel
Or just do it. Seriously what are they gonna do whack his pee pee?

He would be what 3 minutes over tops? Put in a remark "Held up at red light sue me"

Duck

Quack
Supporter
Once again it was not an elog that made him stop, but the regulations
Um, no. It was fear of enforcement after the ankle monitor rats him out.

HOS regs need to be seen as general guidelines, not rock solid, carved in stone, waste half an hour every day "just to be safe" bullshit.

We were fine with paper logs. There are so many other ways they can find major violations without needing to nitpick down to the minute, or even cite you for "violations" that aren't even violations because they occur on private property. Like if you have to circle the lot for a while waiting for someone to leave so you can park.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
I would have stopped, placed myself off duty and then crept to the yard at 15 mph. ...or just driven the mile after going off duty. If it can be done in under five minutes and you place yourself off duty immediately when you get there, it won't log as driving time.

But most Swifties don't know that little fake-around.
It's still a falsified log

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
It's still a falsified log
Yep. It is.

Another option is to just take the one or two minute hit and go to the yard. I have done that before as well. I have never heard a word about it. Our trucks don't shut down at the end of 11 hours.

Tazz

Infidel
Um, no. It was fear of enforcement after the ankle monitor rats him out.

HOS regs need to be seen as general guidelines, not rock solid, carved in stone, waste half an hour every day "just to be safe" bullshit.

We were fine with paper logs. There are so many other ways they can find major violations without needing to nitpick down to the minute, or even cite you for "violations" that aren't even violations because they occur on private property. Like if you have to circle the lot for a while waiting for someone to leave so you can park.
No Officer is going to write a ticket for being a little over. Well unless the Billy big rigger starts out with "Well let me tell you something pig" or you know makes a joke about shooting him and driving off.

You have admitted paper logs are the only reason VW could stay in business.

OH sure you blame Tyson but it is in fact VW allowing their drivers to falsify, and their driver voluntarily lying to cover for them that allowed them to cover for insane schedules, dock times, etc etc. Yeah that nice little family run company that forced drivers to risk their career to stay in business. Sure paper logs were fine:rolleyes:

Duck

Quack
Supporter
You have admitted paper logs are the only reason VW could stay in business.
They've had e-logs since like 2008.
Yeah that nice little family run company that forced drivers to risk their career to stay in business. Sure paper logs were fine:rolleyes:
I got more sleep with paper logs. It's the e-logs that burn me out after a few months.

Tazz

Infidel
Don't make me dig up the posts where you were pissed about having to sleep two hours then go deliver for 6 hours in DC and then pick up in Harrisonburg to go back to Chicago and swap out with the doped up part time dispatcher.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Yep. It is.

Another option is to just take the one or two minute hit and go to the yard. I have done that before as well. I have never heard a word about it. Our trucks don't shut down at the end of 11 hours.
My point is, elogs are doing nothing to stop the violations. Now people are just changing how they call it., "Driving to a safe haven" etc.

It's bringing out the ugly truth of PPP and shipper/receiver detention.

But it's not doing anything to address those problems.

Tazz

Infidel
Drivers should be addressing those problems. They always should have been.