Hours of operation

Papa

First of all, thank you very much for your responces to my last question.

I read some regulations in regard to how much driving time a person could put in before taking a break, and I'm confused?

One can drive a continuous 10 hours and then have to take a continuous 8 hour break? What hours count against the driving? If you stop to fuel during that 10 hour period, does it count against your driving time?

If you drive for a continuous 6 hour period and then stop for lunch; does lunch count against your driving time.

I'm sure this isn't rocket science, but it is confusing because there was something else about driving a maximum 70 hours during a 7 day period and then having to take 36 hours off?

There must be a more straight forward way of explaining these regulations?

Thank you

First of all, thank you very much for your responces to my last question.

I read some regulations in regard to how much driving time a person could put in before taking a break, and I'm confused?

One can drive a continuous 10 hours and then have to take a continuous 8 hour break? What hours count against the driving? If you stop to fuel during that 10 hour period, does it count against your driving time?

If you drive for a continuous 6 hour period and then stop for lunch; does lunch count against your driving time.

I'm sure this isn't rocket science, but it is confusing because there was something else about driving a maximum 70 hours during a 7 day period and then having to take 36 hours off?

There must be a more straight forward way of explaining these regulations?

Thank you

First off have you been through school yet? Because if not you will learn this in school....then again when you go out with your trainer.

But anyway here it is;

View attachment 9316

I am sure someone else will explain it to you, but this is the table from FMCSA website.
View attachment 9316

Thank you wornouttrucker, the chart you inserted was the one I was looking at on the
FMCSA website.

I'm still confused and I am sure it will be explained to me in detail. I was just trying to get a grib on the regulations before I started training.

Thank you for your kind assistance.

Basically it reads, you can drive for 11 hours and work for 14 hours per 10 hour break.

Fueling does count against your 14 hour clock.

In a since if you start your pretrip at 6:00AM then at 6:15 AM you start to drive....then at 5:15 pm you must be parked. But if you are parked like say where you would have to unload a load, then you could continue to work another 3 hours or 8:15 PM unloading the truck. This is the end of your 14 hours.

You must take a 10 hour break in order to drive again.

I am not going to attempt the split logging here. But this is a 14 hour day.

On the 70 hours rule, you can log up to 70 hours per 7 days then a 34 hour restart has to be taken to start your 70 hours over.

This is basically how you would do it, (I think) LOL! It has been 3 years since I ran one so I might be rusty. But I am sure someone else will explain it.

Thank you wornout.

So, if I drive 10 hours every day for 7 days. I get stuck somewhere in Retard, WI for 34 hours. Better hope I can make it to Vegas - LOL

If you drive for any length of time, and stop for lunch, you go to "off duty" during the time you are having lunch, and it does not count against your 11 hours. The time does count against your 14 hours though.

You can have no more than 70 hours in any 8 day period. So basically, if you wanted to know how many hours you could run today, you would add up the total on duty time (line 3 and 4) for the previous 7 days. Subtract that number from 70, and that is how many hours you can run today. For example. If you had been on duty for 67 hours the last 7 days, you could only drive a total of 3 hours, minus any "on duty, not driving time".

Thank you wornout.

So, if I drive 10 hours every day for 7 days. I get stuck somewhere in Retard, WI for 34 hours. Better hope I can make it to Vegas - LOL

More specifically.

This would mean you have used up your entire 70 hours available to you, and you could not drive today. You would have to set for this entire day, until midnight. After midnight, you pick up the hours you ran on that first day. and can run that many hours.

Your 70 hours in 8 days is a running average.

The 34 hour restart is optional, and if you do take a full 34 hours off duty/sleeper berth, your entire 70 hours gets reset.

hos

i do it like this for ten years..s------------
m-------------
t-------------
w------------
t------------
f-----------
s------------
s------------current day
put your hours for everyday in the grid.add them up, cannot be more than 70.top number falls off daily..it is the number from the current day to the 2nd from the top that is your 70. if doing a recap on 34 hour restart put all zeroes until you get to the current day, and enter driving..very old but allows me to plan out days and hours until time off depending on load restrictions..it might be better to sit out that ice storm instead of driving 3 hours today and picking up 8 tomorrow..if i sit 24 hours i can still get to the same place in a safer manner and less stress

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread