Honest "Question" For Everybody

This one makes me want to go to CDL school again. And again. And again.

So in 3/5 days for only 1/2 a Grand "Full CDL" & qualified too..

Hate 2 say this but that's probably "True" problem is a CDL "Mill" only gets ya a "License"..

What they don't tell ya is unless ya went through a "Mega-Carrier" got the Job for a year with that..

Try "Finding" a Job with that and "Zero" Experience 😅

I went through one of the best schools in the area and still. No job.
Shopping my resume around and they were all like come back when you got some experience son.
I got some experience but not enough, until I joined the rag-tag can hauling company.
learned so much. Like a wrecker was not always required, Just needed a chain is all. I had the boss drag me halfway across the city by a chain.

Sometimes cans just want to roll over and go to sleep after their long journey overseas, still no reason for a wrecker, just need some chains and a few trucks.
Set that can up right. (lazy containers!)
I learned so much there. Things you would never learn in school.

My first job, on the road test we never even left the yard!
Back in here and back in there....
Congratulations, you passed! Just try to slow down, I wrote you up for speeding:rolllaugh:
When they sent me on the road, I was handed a stack of BOL's and told, good luck!
Truth be told I did not do well. I was slow and navigated not too goodly.

Oh my oh my how things have changed over the years.
They don't just hand you the keys and say call me at noon anymore?
Now you got to go with a six-week wonder.

Congratulations, you passed! Just try to slow down, I wrote you up for speeding:rolllaugh:
When they sent me on the road, I was handed a stack of BOL's and told, good luck!

That was my very first road test too. I had my name and phone number on a napkin in the company owner's pocket. He called me and said to come to the port for a road test. I get in a peg-leg 1962 GMC 9500, that you needed a tetanus shot to even get near. He said back it in over there, then back it in over here. Okay, you got the job. Then he found out I was still 6 months away from my 21st birthday.

I went through one of the best schools in the area and still. No job.
Shopping my resume around and they were all like come back when you got some experience son.
I got some experience but not enough, until I joined the rag-tag can hauling company.
learned so much. Like a wrecker was not always required, Just needed a chain is all. I had the boss drag me halfway across the city by a chain.

Sometimes cans just want to roll over and go to sleep after their long journey overseas, still no reason for a wrecker, just need some chains and a few trucks.
Set that can up right. (lazy containers!)
I learned so much there. Things you would never learn in school.
Welp people "crack" on folks doing the 6 months a year Employment "Contract" with the "Mega-Carrier" but atleast there it "Came" with a Guaranteed Job 2 start..

Now going through the State Department Of Workforce Development 😞..

Sure the "Government" paid for a 4 week course with a "Private Outfit"..

Then go looking for that 1st Job afterwards..

Started out "Lumber Yard" a Boom Truck "single unit"..

Eventually Flat Bed guy "Quit" but hadda Class A "tractor -trailer" license so they "Sweet Talked" the Insurance Company..

My "Boss" Himself rode with me taught me how 2 do "Straps" and at a house on a tight "side street"..

I don't "Care" it takes ya better part of an hour swing into that "Driveway"..

Just don't hit their garage or tear up the grass..

After afew weeks of the that put me with this old brotha man named "Mack"..

Had us running the Waukesha suburbs delivering "Job Sites" ..

Old "Brotha Man" too taught me a few things too then the "Mortgage Crisis" hit & $ales went down the drain ...

That's when I first ended up truly "Over The Road" camping in the truck

That’s about what I got at my outfit when I started

The “new breed” needs their hands held unfortunately

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread