Hi Guys... AMA about being a successful freight broker who isn't a scumbag

iloveproduce

My name is Matt and I'm an independent freight broker (please read this in the exact tone and cadence you would expect from an AA meeting). I realize that the vast majority of you probably hate me and every other person who does what I do for a living. I don't condone, accept responsibility for, or even understand the behavior of some people who call themselves 'freight brokers' but I definitely do understand how much damage they do and I'm not minimizing your collective experiences with them.

Now that I've got that out of the way the reason for my registering on this site... I'm a logistics nerd of epic proportions. I'm fascinated by transportation of all kinds. I'm amazed by the things that our collective work makes possible. I've tried posting on Reddit but there isn't much conversation over there about the business of trucking.

Here's my offer to everyone on this forum: within certain limits (there are specific procedures I use to cover freight and specific things I look for in shippers. These things are proprietary as heck and would stop working if other people started using them most likely) I'll be as honest with all of you about my business as I can be.

I'm 31, this is my fourth year in the business, and I've got a decent book of business that generates a decent income for myself. If things continue as they have in the past I'll broker 4M in freight this year. Almost all of which will be produce. I work at home with my wife acting as my assistant when we are busy (which is always from May-November). My business is pretty seasonal so I have time to run an AMA here out of boredom right now.

Fire at will!

Hey Matt, I am also an independent freight broker and we're about the same age but my story is a little different. I only been in business for six months and I'm having trouble getting started. I don't have many customers and the ones I do have are trying to get loads moved for below market value. I do about 100 - 150 cold calls a week and it seems like every shipper either has a broker that they've been working with for years, or they won't talk to you unless you're asset based. It almost seems impossible to get up and running. How long did it take for you to get a descent book of business? Is there any advice you could give to help a new broker in need, would really appreciate it. Thanks for your time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread