Help cummins big cam 300 hp

Kenworth77

Hi good morning,am wanting some advice, my big cam 400 just broke down on me... So i found another cummins but its 300 hp, so my question is if it would work well in my truck i have a 13 speeder and 3.55 ratios. Thank you.

Hi good morning,am wanting some advice, my big cam 400 just broke down on me... So i found another cummins but its 300 hp, so my question is if it would work well in my truck i have a 13 speeder and 3.55 ratios. Thank you.

Having driven and used both extensively over the years I can tell you that while both are basically the same engine you will likely not be happy with the swap.

300's are basically a "fleet engine" or for "vocational" uses and usually ran 4 series rears. With your 3.55's and OD you'll be cussing it as a "lazy pig" in stock form on the highway.

To "get your horsepower back" plus the swap costs will exceed the price of rebuilding the 400.

Your call.

Just a thought.... if the 300 is also a "big cam" and you can get it for a real good price it might be worth having for "spare parts", since the block and stuff is the same as your 400. Also, parts like the aluminum oil pan, front cover, valve covers, etc. Those are getting hard to find and have a history of developing cracks and such. I sold two "spare" oil pans back years ago for around $400 each and the buyers were delighted. New they ran close to a grand back then. The thin aluminum is extremely hard to weld and takes an expert. Experts are expensive.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread