Headsets yay or nah?

puffnstuff

Hey good folks, I'm new to trucking and wanted to know if you guys like to use headsets, earbuds, or whatever. I'm looking to get one since it seems useful, doesn't have to be cheap just well made, durable, comfortable and a mic of some sort. Any opinions? if you don't use one, what do you use instead? THANKS!

Hey good folks, I'm new to trucking and wanted to know if you guys like to use headsets, earbuds, or whatever. I'm looking to get one since it seems useful, doesn't have to be cheap just well made, durable, comfortable and a mic of some sort. Any opinions? if you don't use one, what do you use instead? THANKS!
i personally do not use any, i listen to the AM/FM radio the truck has, and if i get a phone call, during my very late night hours, it had better be an emergency, otherwise i do not answer calls i do not recognize the number.

You should’ve added a poll

I vote nay. I talk on the phone like a normal person. The good lord gave us knees and elbows for steering, when need be

You're not doing safety. You must always do safety.
Safety..safety....safety!
Do safety!:mad:
What’s unsafe about using your knee to steer?

I tried a earpiece headset but I didn’t buy enough Bluetooth, and I don’t know where the on/off switch is. :(

What’s unsafe about using your knee to steer?

I tried a earpiece headset but I didn’t buy enough Bluetooth, and I don’t know where the on/off switch is. :(
It's illegal in the US to drive a CMV and talk or text on a handheld cell phone. There are very stiff federal fines for both the driver and carrier, and many states have penalties as well.

Mobile Phone Restrictions

Fines and Penalties - Using a hand-held mobile phone while driving a CMV can result in driver disqualification. Penalties can be up to $2,750 for drivers and up to $11,000 for employers who allow or require drivers to use a hand-held communications device while driving.

I had a smaller Plantronics that lasted for several years,worked well and easy to deal with

i personally do not use any, i listen to the AM/FM radio the truck has, and if i get a phone call, during my very late night hours, it had better be an emergency, otherwise i do not answer calls i do not recognize the number.

Keeping it Old School....right on brotha

I can't even do rail without a smart phone. At least not without making my eye twitch. Manual gate backs up something fierce. Self serve gate uses an app to generate a barcode. Through in seconds. Almost never behind more than 1-2 trucks. Usually behind none.

But yeah ever since our dispatch implemented messaging over the Qualcomm, they're all "don't call us, we won't call you." They hate phones now. 😂

Old hats are kinda annoyed but us millennials like being able to multitask. Send a message, go do our thing (drop/hook), get solution message by the time we're done.

But yeah ever since our dispatch implemented messaging over the Qualcomm, they're all "don't call us, we won't call you." They hate phones now. 😂

Old hats are kinda annoyed but us millennials like being able to multitask. Send a message, go do our thing (drop/hook), get solution message by the time we're done.
For the most part, most things can be handled by a text based message beit Qualcomm or text by phone. some more complex things require a call.
When I took over at the plant it was from guy that was retiring so he was old school and definitely a phone call guy.
When I took over I had the guys on the dock communicate by text because, I can't be on the phone and drive legally and secondly a simple text will suffice.
Thirdly it cut down on the miscommunication of trailer numbers and the blame game of who got the trailer number wrong.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread