• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

Headed to Knight...I think

Buckboard

I've said before, where I live is not near anything. Swift is three hours away in ABQ and Knight is about six in El Paso. Dry van, 11 western (there's a five state run right around me too), HazMat pay extra (I have that), Canada runs crossing in Alberta and extra $$ for that too (I have a passport). Pets and people ok, trucks set at 63-65, no APU (bummer) and a better cpm than Swift would do me. My app is ready and I talked to a Nancy in Las Vegas. I'll let you know how it goes if I go. Big decision but twice what I make as a highway janitor.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I might be crazy to walk away from a state job but I make $12.36 an hour and raises don't exist, State Government budgets and yakity, yak. Can't see me just sitting here and doing this for the rest of my life on short money. I'm home is the only up side to any of this. I also hate wasting my abilities (and knowledge...which at times I'm sure is questionable) while fixing road signs and guardrails and digging out culverts with a backhoe. On occasion I do drive a 10 yrd. dump truck, 13 spd. and drag around an equipment trailer with a front loader or a backhoe on it. A thrill a minute right there I tell ya. Big decision but I think I can make it work.

Every job has it's plusses and minuses. I've been doing local and short stuff for the past couple of weeks because I have to be near with Barb's problems. About to drive me crazy being around the office monkeys so much. Did a quick turnaround drop and switch to Laredo and actually almost enjoyed it.

I've watched the guys on local and state road crews and no, I couldn't last long at that either.

I had a good Government, Union job working for the city. I hated every minute of it. I was paid way more than I will ever make as truck driver, With benefits and pension. None of that means anything if you hate a job that you have to go to everyday.
So I quit working and went back to trucking!

The one govt job I can really say earns their money is the plow operators on the provincial highways up home. They're out there keeping the roads open in the most miserable weather with no relief, long after we're parked.

But most of them are hired as "seasonable help" so they don't get full bennies either.

The one govt job I can really say earns their money is the plow operators on the provincial highways up home. They're out there keeping the roads open in the most miserable weather with no relief, long after we're parked.

But most of them are hired as "seasonable help" so they don't get full bennies either.
Most of those jobs have been sub-Contracted out. We are still thankful for the job they do clearing the roads.

I went out one night subbing for a buddy, as "wingman"..... the guy who operated the wing blade. The main highways weren't too bad but the 2-lane backroads were murder. I had to stick my head out the side window to see. We worked a solid 36 hours.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread