HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT DOT AND HOMELAND SECURITY

T

TruckerTrash

do truck drivers have to apply for a transportation workers identification card (TWIC) as required in some fields by homeland security?

Your not required to have it as a driver. It's only used/required if you want to get into the ports. Some companies require drivers to have it and some don't. As well, some pay for it and some don't. I have mine and haven't used it yet so...

No, it is not required, but it can't hurt to have it when you go job hunting, it will give you more options for employment.

I applied for and got a TWIC before I went looking for work as a truck driver and feel it made a difference when prospective employers lookd at my application and resume. I also have the enhanced driver's license so I don't need a passport to cross the Canadian border.

I have had mine for a bit over a year...I have used it 3 times......figure as time goes more of the places I go into will require it. I do a lot of power plant detail besides the port and on and off military bases/post. Time will tell but its a resume enhancer and you are available for more stuff.

As the other posters have said, no it is not required by the government but some companies do require it to work for them. I look at it this way, it's like endorsements on your license, I have everyone possible and hazmat. I have never used the double/triple or tanker endorsement but if I need them i already have them so I guess it's up to you. If you are gooing flatbed most will require it because the possibil;ities of going on and out of the ports.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread