• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

Has anyone else heard this about Schneider turning down their trucks more?

truckerstrike08

Navigational Assistant
Just wondering if anyone has heard this. I have a myspace account with a lot of owner operators and company drivers for those that don't know. One of my driver friends sent me this he works for Schneider. Has anyone else heard about them turning the trucks down EVEN LOWER???

As you know, I drive for Schneider and they are known for being some of the slowest trucks out there. Well, the slowest just got SLOWER.

Effective today, the solo drivers whose trucks have been governed at 63 mph are being turned down to 60.

I am sure this is going to cause many drivers to leave them and many other drivers to become even more irate at how slow the pumpkin trucks are.

Just thought you might want this info for your bulletins.

Haven't heard about it, but it doesn't surprise me. With current fuel prices, many owner operators are running their trucks between 60-62 MPH, CFI/CONWAY slowed their trucks down to either 62 or 63 MPH, and many small companies that used to let their drivers run 75+ are being slowed down to around 65.

Fuel costs are hurting even the big companies, and news like this is proof. The amount of money Schneider can save by turning their trucks down like this is huge, and could be the difference between bankruptcy and surviving right now.

I would be MAD though honestly. I wonder how many drivers they will lose because of this? Wouldn't that be THE slowest truck on the road???

thats just dangerous. i think every truck should be set at the speed limit on the hwys. now going even slower will cause more incidents at on ramps because they are to slow to get out of the way and most 4 wheelers don't know how to merge anyways onto the hwy.

Hey folks I almost never driver the speed limit. the speed limit is just how fast you are allowed to go you can driver slower and i do if i can sav 3 or 4 tenths i am all for it money is tight

then lower the speed limit for cars also. having vehicles this big being limited to a different speed than 4 wheelers is just looking for trouble. ohio/michigan is bad on this. I can't remember which state it is off hand but some state out west approved a bill to raise hwy speed to 80 mph

Just wondering if anyone has heard this. I have a myspace account with a lot of owner operators and company drivers for those that don't know. One of my driver friends sent me this he works for Schneider. Has anyone else heard about them turning the trucks down EVEN LOWER???

As you know, I drive for Schneider and they are known for being some of the slowest trucks out there. Well, the slowest just got SLOWER.

Effective today, the solo drivers whose trucks have been governed at 63 mph are being turned down to 60.

I am sure this is going to cause many drivers to leave them and many other drivers to become even more irate at how slow the pumpkin trucks are.

Just thought you might want this info for your bulletins.
wow.... i am surprised! i just wonder how there ever going to get any freight moved!! wow wow wow....a 600 mile trip will take 2 days....lmao

:beep:
then lower the speed limit for cars also. having vehicles this big being limited to a different speed than 4 wheelers is just looking for trouble. ohio/michigan is bad on this. I can't remember which state it is off hand but some state out west approved a bill to raise hwy speed to 80 mph
now 80 is my kinda speed..... oh yeah......

Yea that will be good. Speed limit is 80 so the cars will do 90 and then you have a big truck doing, 60! Big trucks appear to the eye to be going slower then they really are..... This just in over the wire...... 60 SNI trucks get rear ended in one flippin day!

Yea that will be good. Speed limit is 80 so the cars will do 90 and then you have a big truck doing, 60! Big trucks appear to the eye to be going slower then they really are..... This just in over the wire...... 60 SNI trucks get rear ended in one flippin day!

sadly is that what you said is in a jokingly manner but it just might be true. plus it will be even harde to make a decent living, if thats still posible, driving so slow.

sadly is that what you said is in a jokingly manner but it just might be true. plus it will be even harde to make a decent living, if thats still posible, driving so slow.

Yea I know... but do the math. what do they pay? 25 cpm? if they run their ass off they can make 15$ an hour only when the wheels are turning. They would be lucky to clear 5 hundred in a week

Yea I know... but do the math. what do they pay? 25 cpm? if they run their ass off they can make 15$ an hour only when the wheels are turning. They would be lucky to clear 5 hundred in a week

i think they pay a little higher than that now. i look at it by the miles driven. at 33 cpm thats only 330$ for every 1000 miles so probaly about trying to bring home 500$ a week is gonna be tough now.

My husbands m.v.r. reads like a Steven King Horror story.
his right foot really does not help,
But I think if he had to drive a truck that only did 60, he would fall asleep....lol

i worked for jb years ago and i was locked down at 61 and it would make getting anywhere a task in it's self. i hated driving on the hwys watching the mile markers going by so slowly.

I look at this from Schneider's point of view, and my point of view.

If I were out there in my own truck, I would be running no more than 62-63 MPH, because the cost of fuel is just too much of a factor in running a successful business out there. I wouldn't need my truck governed, because I would know that the fuel cost is coming out of my pocket and the money I saved daily on fuel is far bigger than those few more miles a day I could run.

The difference between 5.5 mph and 6.5 mpg on a 500 mile trip, assuming $4/gallon is $60.00. And as someone who has figured similar trips with similar weight, the difference between running 70-75 mph as opposed to the difference between running 60-65mph is more than 1mpg.

For Scheider, they are probably looking at a difference of .4-.5mpg increase. That is huge money when you factor in an entire gigantic fleet of trucks.

When you are a company driver, it is their ball, their glove, and their bat, so you are forced to play their game or go join another team.

For Schneider drivers who would consider quitting over a 3-4 mph change, they should take the time to consider if leaving over something like this is worth the loss in job stability, and most likely a loss in benefits if they go somewhere that lets them run 70 mph.

Now, that is what I call rambling on and on and on, LOL

I look at this from Schneider's point of view, and my point of view.

If I were out there in my own truck, I would be running no more than 62-63 MPH, because the cost of fuel is just too much of a factor in running a successful business out there. I wouldn't need my truck governed, because I would know that the fuel cost is coming out of my pocket and the money I saved daily on fuel is far bigger than those few more miles a day I could run.

The difference between 5.5 mph and 6.5 mpg on a 500 mile trip, assuming $4/gallon is $60.00. And as someone who has figured similar trips with similar weight, the difference between running 70-75 mph as opposed to the difference between running 60-65mph is more than 1mpg.

For Scheider, they are probably looking at a difference of .4-.5mpg increase. That is huge money when you factor in an entire gigantic fleet of trucks.

When you are a company driver, it is their ball, their glove, and their bat, so you are forced to play their game or go join another team.

For Schneider drivers who would consider quitting over a 3-4 mph change, they should take the time to consider if leaving over something like this is worth the loss in job stability, and most likely a loss in benefits if they go somewhere that lets them run 70 mph.

Now, that is what I call rambling on and on and on, LOL

Naa that's not rambling, what you say makes perfect sense. But driving at 60 and being stuck at 60 is different. I understand saving a few dollars in fuel, but the truck is running longer and working harder at that speed. Is it worth it? Then you have the safety issue. Granted I have noticed everyone slow down in the last few weeks. But last summer on a Thursday/Friday afternoon I could run out of NYC/NJ north at 75-80 and traffic was bumber to bumber, AT THOSE SPEEDS( NY traffic, super fast or super slow). I've been going slower myself, except today I was mega late so I ran 75-80 back, and all these cars and trucks doing 5 under, I was coming up on them like they were standing still. I have faith in my driving but not in other drivers. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about, so imagine that scenario with someone who barely belongs behind the wheel.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread