CB Radio Handheld CB

Bullfrog_

I was working on fixing my Cobra, but I got looking into it and am leaning towards just getting one of these https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5...qid=1516513050&sr=8-1&keywords=baofeng+uv-+5r I wont be using it for trucking, so being able to bring it in different cars will be great. Anyone ever used one of these or just a handheld cb?

Can you broadcast on cb airwaves though? I mean, i don't need a ham license, nothings illegal if you don't get caught ;)

You can't broadcast CB radio frequencies with that radio. No.

CB is basically 26 - 27 MHz, which falls under HF bands. That radio goes up into VHF bands. The UHF frequencies, I don't even know what you'd be picking up with those. I'd imagine on a day where the skip is good you'd be picking up Europe, China, and Russia with that thing. But I have a very limited understanding of HAM frequencies and who uses them.

I was working on fixing my Cobra, but I got looking into it and am leaning towards just getting one of these https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5...qid=1516513050&sr=8-1&keywords=baofeng+uv-+5r I wont be using it for trucking, so being able to bring it in different cars will be great. Anyone ever used one of these or just a handheld cb?

Just buy a Cobra or a Midland hand held...

The Midland handheld Cb sells for roughly $50 at Pilot/Fly J..

The Cobra handheld deluxe package is $69.99 at Farm N Fleet...

You can't broadcast CB radio frequencies with that radio. No.

CB is basically 26 - 27 MHz, which falls under HF bands. That radio goes up into VHF bands. The UHF frequencies, I don't even know what you'd be picking up with those. I'd imagine on a day where the skip is good you'd be picking up Europe, China, and Russia with that thing. But I have a very limited understanding of HAM frequencies and who uses them.
We use VHF radios all over up here no problem. My understanding about the US, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that we need to be very careful about even using them over there because police military first responders etc use a lot of those frequencies.

We use VHF radios all over up here no problem. My understanding about the US, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that we need to be very careful about even using them over there because police military first responders etc use a lot of those frequencies.

I know most emergency dispatch is around 150-155MHz. It's all just above 2 meters, which is in the 140MHz range up to about 150MHz.
I think 2 meter stops at about 148MHz. I don't know off of the top of my head.

All the ones around my area have closed.
There's still some franchise dealers that still have their signs up. The company itself went bankrupt, and closed all the company-operated stores.

Just to bring back an old thread here,,,,,
I tried a handheld so I could put it in my work car last year. Almost ZERO reception inside the car, but as soon as I got out it worked ok.

I had a Midland I bought at WalMart. Never had a problem with it and sending/reception was great. No reason to invest $400 in a radio. That Midland was about $70.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread