Hammer goes to the Dark Side...

Backed into a place in ta Morris. Guy in a 9-car pulled up and asked if I could slide two spots over. Something about not having the ability to turn tight enough with the stinger.

I said sure, but to satisfy my own curiosity first, can you show me....I honestly was curious more about the truck and it's capabilities. We walked around it showing me different things for about a half hour.

Those things must suck in small streets.

Backed into a place in ta Morris. Guy in a 9-car pulled up and asked if I could slide two spots over. Something about not having the ability to turn tight enough with the stinger.

I said sure, but to satisfy my own curiosity first, can you show me....I honestly was curious more about the truck and it's capabilities. We walked around it showing me different things for about a half hour.

Those things must suck in small streets.
We don't off-track nearly as much as a semi, which helps, but if you're loaded tight in the middle, the pinch really restricts your turns. These 80 footers aren't as bad, they've reduced the protrusions off the back of the tractor, and the 5th wheel is a foot further back. Loaded as I am in that last pic, I'd have to get really stupid to touch. The geometry of the nose of the vehicle even with the kingpin is a help as well. It wasn't unusual to be 12" further forward on my 75'highrail, especially with 10 units, and my jump pads stuck out 6-8 " instead of folding down like these do.

But regardless, you have to be careful where you go. Older neighborhoods are largely a no go with the narrow streets, overhanging trees, and street parking (I've got major tailswing.)

My 5th wheel is 4 or 5 feet behind the rear axle. That and the 2 rearmost units being behind the tandem result in every unit on the trailer affects the weight of all three axles. It can be a PITA if you have to cross a scale in the middle of a multi-drop load, you might have to move most of your remaining units to get legal again.
Yeah....yeah, I uh......well ya see, the sun was in my eyes when I posted this. Or gravity was too strong...... or whatever excuse I can use for axin such a stupid ass question.

"5th wheel".......jackass!

It was 3:30 in the feckin' morning after all........

@mndriver here's a pic in the middle of a stabilized turn in a 100' cul-de-sac. You can see I'd have hit the pickup from the earlier pic.

Attachments

• 20200214_093039.jpg
    20200214_093039.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 15
@mndriver here's a pic in the middle of a stabilized turn in a 100' cul-de-sac. You can see I'd have hit the pickup from the earlier pic.
So do you have some kind of articulation gauge (other than the side mirrors) or some way to see when you're about to hear an expensive crunch, or is this just a seat-of-the-pants thing you gotta learn? If I was doing that and owned the equipment I'd probably rig up a backup camera to watch that shit when I'm turning.

So do you have some kind of articulation gauge (other than the side mirrors) or some way to see when you're about to hear an expensive crunch, or is this just a seat-of-the-pants thing you gotta learn? If I was doing that and owned the equipment I'd probably rig up a backup camera to watch that **** when I'm turning.
Some of the big fleets have sensors that mount to each side of the tongue.

Would I use to gauge it, is that I look in the mirror along the edge of the number 2 deck to see where it's pointed at on the nose of the trailer. . I know where I can turn with a normal load on, If it's a really tight load I'll do some test turns before I leave the yard.

So Cottrell has switched over to the good 'fit-n-forget' style lighting plugs. Everything appeared to be nice and sealed up, even though it's an off-brand harness. Appeared being the key phrase.

They never installed the weatherproofing on the cable side of the rear harmess connectors. To quote the Great One: "You dumb sons of bitches!"

20200216_144922.jpg

The humor comes in Friday I cleared an $8000 bill on my truck.

At least half of it was warranty....

Hence the road trip with a rental car this week.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread