Hammer goes to the Dark Side...

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
Premium
Well, I'm going to take a job as terminal manager for the guy I had my truck leased to. We picked up a new car contract, and I was needing something to do. It's been a few years since I've been on that side of the desk, hopefully my patience with idiocy has improved over the years.:cool:

Ought to be interesting in that many of the guys who'll be working there are former co-workers, I hope they remember I have a low tolerance for BS.

Yes, I believe I have!:panic:

You're gonna get fat and lose your hair!
Nah, I'm 50! I figure if I held on to all this hair this long, it ain't goin' anywhere.

And by the time I get this arm and shoulder back to strength, I shouldn't have to worry about fat! (It really does suck having to watch muscle waste away and not being able to do a dang thing about it. And I still have over a month before I can even start with weight.)

Nah, I'm 50! I figure if I held on to all this hair this long, it ain't goin' anywhere.

And by the time I get this arm and shoulder back to strength, I shouldn't have to worry about fat! (It really does suck having to watch muscle waste away and not being able to do a dang thing about it. And I still have over a month before I can even start with weight.)
Not to worry once you start lifting it comes back real fast. Muscle memory. I was out of lifting a few years and with in 2 months I gained back 25 lbs. Hell at 52 I can still bench 325 at 185 lbs

Yes, I believe I have!:panic:

When I dispatched we had our share of guys who never should have left their moms basement. Blood curdlin' tales I could tell ya.

Here's a common ( dick move ) trick I used a lot:

The trucks had Qualcomms, but guys would call in endlessly anyway about the most mundane of things. Many times bfore I moved to days I was the only person available on nights and weekends for 360 trucks. Then on days I only had 135-150....anyway...

I have little patience for cell phones, and choppy ass signals. When a call starts glitching out, I simply hang up. Personally I can't believe anyone has the patience to let this go past about 6 seconds and sit there going, "Hello?! HELLO?!!" I do this to this day. Drivers would totally ignore the qualcomm, even sitting still, and call in, the signal would go choppy, and I'd hang up.

They'd call back in a few minutes later and say, "I musta lost the signal."
I'd reply, "You certainly did."

I talk to my fleet mgr via my cell phone most of the time. **** that qual com. I want him to hear just exactly what I mean when I say something. If he's to busy to talk to my ass then I get a new mgr or a new carrier. Don't get me wrong, I use the qual-com. But sometimes I just wanna chit chat and his ass is gunna talk to me.

I talk to my fleet mgr via my cell phone most of the time. **** that qual com. I want him to hear just exactly what I mean when I say something. If he's to busy to talk to my *** then I get a new mgr or a new carrier. Don't get me wrong, I use the qual-com. But sometimes I just wanna chit chat and his *** is gunna talk to me.
If you had to sit and listen to the babysitting that most have to do on a daily basis, you'd cut them more slack.

This was an actual conversation I listened in on with an o/o-only meat hauler outfit a few years back:

Driver:"...but I'm 200 over on my drives!"

Disp: "How much fuel do you have on?"

Driver: "I filled up before I came to pick up the trailer."

Disp: "How far is it to the first scale you have to cross? You'll burn that off in a couple hours."

Driver: "It's about 800 miles. But I'm overweight! What should I do?"

Disp: "Go back to the plant and have them take some off."

Driver: "That will take too long and I'll never get empty before the weekend..."

And on, and on, and on...

There is no way I could do this job with the average idiot driving, thankfully it takes a bit more to be a carhauler than a box jockey, or I'd be killing people.

Today is the first day I've called in since I left last Thursday...I had no problems and they had no questions. They knew my plans for the week and I knew what when and where my next load is and going to.
I'm not a baby nor are they my baby sitter...cant say that about all the other drivers here.

If you had to sit and listen to the babysitting that most have to do on a daily basis, you'd cut them more slack.

This was an actual conversation I listened in on with an o/o-only meat hauler outfit a few years back:

Driver:"...but I'm 200 over on my drives!"

Disp: "How much fuel do you have on?"

Driver: "I filled up before I came to pick up the trailer."

Disp: "How far is it to the first scale you have to cross? You'll burn that off in a couple hours."

Driver: "It's about 800 miles. But I'm overweight! What should I do?"

Disp: "Go back to the plant and have them take some off."

Driver: "That will take too long and I'll never get empty before the weekend..."

And on, and on, and on...

There is no way I could do this job with the average idiot driving, thankfully it takes a bit more to be a carhauler than a box jockey, or I'd be killing people.
An O/O? First of all if I can't fix the weight the shipper has to. Qual-Com msg.- overweight headed back to shipper. Sent that many times.

I usually talk to my mgr once a day or every other day. I need that! For me to know that he knows this truck don't drive itself. And I got needs.

Sometimes I'm pissed off and I need someone to bitch at. That's part of his job. If he says it ain't he can hit the door.

If I gotta do what the company says and it ain't in my best interest then someone's gonna talk to me. Most owners would rather that be the fleet mgr.

Takes a special kind of people person to be a good fleet mgr. Same as it takes a special kind of people to be OTR Truckers. They need us and we need them. We work together or it all falls apart.

Today is the first day I've called in since I left last Thursday...I had no problems and they had no questions. They knew my plans for the week and I knew what when and where my next load is and going to.
I'm not a baby nor are they my baby sitter...cant say that about all the other drivers here.
Of course you can't. Because you don't have their job. Different jobs require different responsibilities. I been trucking 18yrs. The last thing I need is a baby sitter.

An O/O? First of all if I can't fix the weight the shipper has to. Qual-Com msg.- overweight headed back to shipper. Sent that many times.

So for 200 lbs, and the first scale more than a day away, you're going back to the shipper? Really???

Sometimes I'm ****ed off and I need someone to ***** at. That's part of his job. If he says it ain't he can hit the door.

If I gotta do what the company says and it ain't in my best interest then someone's gonna talk to me. Most owners would rather that be the fleet mgr.

And my job description doesn't include "Crying post." You have a legitimate gripe, I'll listen. You call me to whine, and all you're hearing is "click."

As far as "your best interest" ? You're hired to do what is in my best interest, not yours. I'm not going to bend you over, but if every time you don't get your way I get a phone call, you're not going to be around long. It's called growing the **** up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread