GYCDL Program

I recently went through the GYCDL program at the Marshfield terminal and I have to say it’s a pretty good program. I’m glad I went through it in the winter so I could learn in some crappy weather conditions. The only negative I’ve seen so far is the lack of trainers. I’ve been sitting at home 3 weeks now waiting for a training truck to open up. I’m excited to get going.

The school was a 4 week school to get the CDL. We only did 2 days of cargo securement and closed environment backing in the yard. I now go out with a driver for at least 5 loads to make sure I know what I’m doing and get some real world experience. After I finish that I get put in my own truck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Schools only teach you what you paid them to teach you, which is the minimum requirements to pass the testing. They teach you in controlled environments, which honestly does little to nothing for you in the real world.

5 loads doesnt seem long enough. Depending on how the dispatch flows, a training truck can get 5 loads done in a week.

Schools only teach you what you paid them to teach you, which is the minimum requirements to pass the testing. They teach you in controlled environments, which honestly does little to nothing for you in the real world.

5 loads doesnt seem long enough. Depending on how the dispatch flows, a training truck can get 5 loads done in a week.
They say 19-21 days or minimum of 5 loads.

Buddy, Are you kidding me? Back in the day if you were lucky enough to land a job they tossed you the keys and wished you good luck.:thumbsup:
If you are a 2nd or 3rd generation driver, then that would be fine. But, if youre a 1st generation driver that knew nothing about trucks, then that would be an accident waiting for a place to happen.

If you are a 2nd or 3rd generation driver, then that would be fine. But, if youre a 1st generation driver that knew nothing about trucks, then that would be an accident waiting for a place to happen.
Much appreciated:thumbsup:. I knew nothing about trucks before I went to school. I landed a job and after a few hours in the yard they gave me the keys and some directions and sent me on the road.

Much appreciated:thumbsup:. I knew nothing about trucks before I went to school. I landed a job and after a few hours in the yard they gave me the keys and some directions and sent me on the road.
You went to school though. You had me assuming someone from back in the day who knew nothing about trucks would be able to bypass school and just hop in it and drive.

You went to school though. You had me assuming someone from back in the day who knew nothing about trucks would be able to bypass school and just hop in it and drive.
Same difference. You are saying buddy that has been to school and does 5 loads with another driver is not enough training.
When back in the day it was school and hit the road with your first load.

Same difference. You are saying buddy that has been to school and does 5 loads with another driver is not enough training.
When back in the day it was school and hit the road with your first load.
I can do 5 loads in a week.

Look at the majority of mega fleet drivers and tell me that is enough training.

I started otr at CR England. When i did my road test, i rode with some students that i wouldnt trust with a bicycle. Why i never became a trainer.
I was an in cab trainer.
I had one that needed a lot of work and another that I would have cut loose to run solo on the first day I got him. If I could.

Come on guys, in the chance that somebody may show up here later looking for information on Roehl and this training program, let’s take this unrelated debate elsewhere.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread