• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

Going with werner

So I decided that im going to start with werner to get some experience. Monday i test to get my cdl and i turn 21 in 3 weeks so in about a month i should be ready to get on with them :)

Your neighborhood could have some type of covenant or enforceable code.
This is true. My county has a weight limit on residential streets, but it is not posted.
It is not enforced either as long as nobody complains.
I managed to park truck in my yard (or in the road)for years unbothered, but all it takes is a nosy neighbor to screw it up.

true he does but werner hope he likes sitting ugh

Actually I have seen the newbies run more than the veterans with Werner (and especially under the D.M. that I had) because the newbies make less per mile.

just what you told me. but he has to start somewhere. though recruiters will fill the drivers head with shit no matter what starter co it is. now you said if you did werner dosen't allow solo drivers OTR they told me i could go solo when i called em and when i told em i wanted close to 3000 miles the guy started getting edgy. but if he can stick it out for six months at worst it would be better for him to wait atleast a year and get something better. i'm sure we have all had different experiances with em you hear one thing i hear another thing

I don't think there is a single recruiter who really knows the industry, or has been on the road in a truck. Recruiters are just the middle men for the industry, and they make money by the head. IF you can stick it out for 6 months to a year, you'll have more doors open to you. When I say stick it out, I not only mean not quitting, but not being fired for something stupid. Everytime I went to a terminal, I'd see 5 to 10 drivers with their bags packed and going home for being fired for stupid things. Most of the terminations I saw were for late loads, and idleing. And I will tell you I constantly got JIT loads with barely enough time to deliver (averaging 50+ MPH the entire run no matter how far, and no consideration for breaks any driver is entitled to, accident and construction delays - etc.). These JIT loads had far larger delivery windows than what they were pushing on me. And I was told I was idleing my truck when I was not. Remember - I saw terminations for mostly late loads and idleing - Hummmmm, set up for termination maybe? Well, that was a year and a half ago. Maybe it's still going on today, maybe it's not. Let's not even get into repairs not done in a timely manner and it effecting my production.

EXACTLY that's what I told you because I drove for Werner but noone needs to discourage someone else from giving it a shot whether with Werner or any company.Calf you dont have a clue what its like out here so stop acting like you do and when u get with a trainer,dont act like a mr know it all and do what he says.You're trying too hard and too fast to get your trk and get moving.You can't do that.If you want to succeed in this business then take it slow.You have to get the exp first.

I agree with no one needing to discourage anyone else to working for Werner or any other company. But I think it's also fair to post bad experiences so the perspective new driver can evaluate for themself what they want to do based on what does occur to some. Bad experiences should be posted, it's up to the reader whether or not it's to discourage or to inform. I wish I could have read some of the crap things being done before I decided to go to school for my CDL. Unfortunately, a lot of this is not learned until you are already in the industry - out of the frying pan and into the fire is more like what I like to put it as. I will say that some drivers do make it with every starter company out there. They can't boot everyone out the door once they collect the Federal subsidy money. If they did, the Government would stop the subsidy program real quick. I say get the MINIMUM 6 month experience with whatever company you can, then start looking for better prospects BEFORE you quit.

And don't believe for one second drivers are needed right now. What is needed is the subsidy money. Also remember your replacement is already trained and ready to go. Good luck, and watch your back.

Watch your back at the Dallas yard.Its a rough area around their.Trustworthy and reliable huh.What exactly did they say?????????????If you do the DOLLAR GENERAL account you will make more money and if I ain't mistaken,you have to unload your trl.Many of the stores are very small.Not really for trks but its doable.But like you said PROMISE.What werner says and does are two different things.

I'll second that one about the Dallas yard. It's in a bad area of the city, and you do not want to leave the yard on foot at night - sometimes even during the day - LOL. Yes, Dollar General and Family Dollar, you are unloading the trailer. There are no docks at the stores, and you make far less than a lumper would make for the unload. Yes, Dollar General and Family Dollar drivers make a bit more than the regular company drivers do, but you WILL WORK for it. Better be in half decent shape.

did you stick it to her?

don't know don't care truckertrash and wasn't looking to stick it to her

I think Trash is interested in videos. It's that voyeurism thing people tend to adopt who can not otherwise get a woman. Trash just has to have his nose in other people's business as he has no business.

Trash: Remember months ago you asked "DO YOU REALIZE WHAT YOU'VE DONE" where I am concerned? You should have remembered that before you started screwing around with me when I was speaking to others. Now I am going to show you how I play as long as you attack me and others for no good reason you Friggin Dimwit.

Well I finished my training the week before Christmas. The real fun started when I went to get a truck assignment, they attempted to assign me a Freightliner truck that looked like someone took a baseball bat to the passenger side and the damage was put back together with a tube of silicone caulk. Then it appears someone drove the truck off road and trashed it. The Driver Assignment girl (name left out) did tell me though "Make ready ALREADY FIXED all the DOT violations." THis tells me the truck was in worse condition than it is now. I refused the truck and took time off for the holidays. Three other Werner drivers have also refused the truck too. I am heading back tomorrow. Knowing that DA gal, she probably saved the truck for me anyway. We will see. I still won't take it. I am NOT putting my license on the line for ANYONE.

In addition, they also screwed me out of the Dollar General account. After training I went in to take the required physical agility test. But because the medicine I was taking to treat a sinus infection raised my heart rate too high, they failed me. They said "sorry, you can come back in 30 days to take it again. Until then, you must do the Western Regional account." A%$ Holes.

I may just do the Western Regional account, get my 1 year experience, and tell them what they can go do with themselves. At least I will get to see new and exciting places I may not have been able to see in the first place.

I may just do the Western Regional account, get my 1 year experience, and tell them what they can go do with themselves. At least I will get to see new and exciting places I may not have been able to see in the first place.
May be a good move anyway.
Don't know what they told you about DG, but it involves getting into some tight spots on a regular basis, along with a fair amount of manual labor.
It may or may not be worth the extra money to you, but I don't think I would care to deal with it.

Well, during the training phase of Werner, I was training with a Dollar General trainer. It was really not that bad getting into some stores. What I find really funny though is Werner does not have the DG trainees take the physical agility test BEFORE training for a DG account. It does not make any sense to train someone for a job they will not be able to work. But then again, sounds like corporate thinking. Thats what happens when you wear a neck tie, it cuts the circulation off to your brain.

It could be they use whatever trainer is available.
No worse than sending somebody out with a driver on a dedicated run that never gets off the interstate, and does a drop & hook at both ends.

There's a werner fest here at the truckstop and they're all swapping.Some things just never change.I was watching this wernerdoing exercises but making a real spectical of himself.He gets out in the middle of the parking lot doing exercises.I thought if you only knew how many are laughing at you right now.

OMG! I don't know much about any of the trucking companies, but please, please, don't go with Wearner until you see this.
Holy Flying Monkeys,com

I seen that awhile back.I guess it's all in the driver and how much you willing to take to become an experienced driver.It does'nt matter what company you go with,you're going to have problems as a new driver no doubt about it.But you have to take the good with the bad if you want to achieve your goal.Werner was my first company and hated it the last 2 yrs with them but I stuck it out to prove to the quitters you can make it work.
OMG! I don't know much about any of the trucking companies, but please, please, don't go with Wearner until you see this.
Holy Flying Monkeys,com

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread