Give it another try?

Phil63

Hello everyone. I haven't posted here since just about a year ago. At that time, I was entering CDL school and considering starter companies. I had some good advice here and thought I'd throw my situation out for some commentary.

I graduated with my CDL in May 2012 and started with a Werner O/O in June 2012. I completed 100 hours behind the wheel before getting off the truck at my request. I did very well with the driving and my skill level was advancing quickly.

I don't want to whine about it, but it was a horrible situation. My trainer was fantastic...Werner and the O/O not so much. The trainer had some serious personal issues going on at home and requested home time to deal with them. They could not be handled from the road. The response was initially positive, but turned to dispatching us all over midwest, instead of back west toward Los Angeles, his home. Some days we literally got no closer than 200 miles west from where we started that day. It was clear he would need up to a week to handle his issues. I requested that I be dropped in Tucson, my home and the location of the O/O, and then pick things up when he was done. The O/O refused to consider this stating I had to go to LA and live in the truck until his business was completed. I balked at this and was immediately personally challenged. My manhood was questioned and I was told that "it was trucking" and challenged that I would not hold to my request and would back down like a bitch when the owner of the company called me. They stated I'd have to get myself home from whatever point was close and convenient for them at the time. At that point, I was done. I told them I still wanted off the truck and would take care of myself at that time. They then started hammering down on the trainer. Rerouting continued for another week and when he complained the told him he could park the truck and fly home at this own expense and whatever it cost to retrieve the truck. A week later, we finally routed ourselves past Tucson, and I got off the truck. They paid me out and I never spoke to them again.

Obviously, I feel seriously burned and am really reluctant to do it again. I enjoyed the trucking, not the industry or way I was treated. I've tried some self-employment since that time, but it won't pay the bills. I can't find anything local that isn't low paying box-truck or bus driving jobs here in Tucson.
I'm considering giving it another try. I think ultimately it could be a job I enjoy as the actual work did not bother me at all. I've reviewed my DAC report and my separation is marked as a quit with my rehire status as with review. I wondering what people think of my previous experience in relation to trying to get on with another carrier as a trainee? Will I encounter a problem trying to find an opportunity?

I'd appreciate any comments about what I've experienced so far in the industry or advice about how to proceed. Thanks for taking the time to read my post and respond.

Sure give it another shot with another carrier. If you get you foot in the door for an interview, Explain what went wrong. With any luck and some understanding you should get hired on. If you like the work and where doing well before all hell broke lose. Try, Try again.

Hell, I have quit trucking for good! A few times, It didn't take. After 18 yrs I am still in this racket. Good luck!

Go to the nearest non-Pilot/Flying J and pick up a copy of "The Trucker".

The corporate fat-cats for US Xpress, Werner, & CR England are on the cover of the latest issue, whining about their imaginary "driver shortage" like they've been doing for 30 years, .. and whining that they just might have to start paying their drivers for a change, ... it's ****ing hilarious. I wish I could find it online.

Even better is the article a few pages in where they quoted a bunch of driver replies from their Facebook page. :rolllaugh:

I was hired on by a guy with a small fleet 10-20 trucks after working for his shady competitor. The only thing he said was, He was surprised I still had a clean abstract. As big as trucking is and as many people that are involved in it, It is still a small world. Everyone knows how the others are operating, The dirty tricks, The dirty little secrets.

Just IMO, when they ask why you left your last trucking company? I think the question is psychological. They just want hear what you say. They damned well know why you left and I don't think anyone has ever quit a job for one reason . There are usually a bunch of reasons that build up.

Throw out some resumes what is the worst they can say? Sometime just being in the right place at the right time can make a huge difference. Network, Talk to other drivers.

I appreciate the response. It's true, there is nothing to lose by getting out there and seeing what the response is. I'm just going to tell it like it was without trying to do too much bashing...I know it won't be the first time they've heard something similar. Although it really doesn't count for much in the grand scheme of things, I have been on the road for a little bit and driven a truck. They will know my eyes are wide open and I have some idea of what I'm getting myself into as opposed to most new CDL grads. Maybe that will count for something.

The mistake you made was in starting with Werner. Swift does not allow trainees to be treated that way. I've been personally involved in several situations where the trainer thought they could exercise dominion over the trainee. Two were fired from the company and the others were either excused from the mentor program or given vacations from it until they went back through training. Since you already have your CDL, you won't be under any kind of contract and can quit any time. Give them a call and see what happens. There's a yard in Tucson we share with DSW, so getting you home would not be a problem.

The mistake you made was in starting with Werner. Swift does not allow trainees to be treated that way. I've been personally involved in several situations where the trainer thought they could exercise dominion over the trainee. Two were fired from the company and the others were either excused from the mentor program or given vacations from it until they went back through training. Since you already have your CDL, you won't be under any kind of contract and can quit any time. Give them a call and see what happens. There's a yard in Tucson we share with DSW, so getting you home would not be a problem.

OMG...1 of my Swift mentors attacked me and Swift turned a blind eye. But then again another of my trainers was accused of sexual harrassment after I exited his truck and I stepped up saying that this could not be...this man loves his wife and family...no way would he EVER proposition a student. Yet he propositioned me and I still cannot get the image of him stretched out on his bunk in his cheetah print thong. The difference between tha 2 was that the second mentor was truly talented and I learned alot - enableing me to put up w/ the b.s. in exchange for knowledge. Glad to hear Swift's finally listening!

OMG...1 of my Swift mentors attacked me and Swift turned a blind eye. But then again another of my trainers was accused of sexual harrassment after I exited his truck and I stepped up saying that this could not be...this man loves his wife and family...no way would he EVER proposition a student. Yet he propositioned me and I still cannot get the image of him stretched out on his bunk in his cheetah print thong. The difference between tha 2 was that the second mentor was truly talented and I learned alot - enableing me to put up w/ the b.s. in exchange for knowledge. Glad to hear Swift's finally listening!
I still have no idea why they would partner up a male or female trainer and student. This is close Quarter living. The company that I was trainer at, Would only allow same sex trainers/students. It meant the women may have to wait longer to get on a truck, They tried to get more women trainers.

Looking at the impact, should something go wrong with a male or female trainer or student, It makes sense. The toll it would take on a person having advances made on them or worse and the lawsuits. It make no sense.

Not every man is an animal and women can take advantage too. Why take the chance?

Just try & always remember Phil. No matter what trucking company you may look into, that companies Recruiter/Dispatcher is going to tell you exactly what you want to hear, simply because that's how they make their $$$! But don't get me wrong, there's good & bad companies out there, you just have to find the one that fits your needs. Good luck!

I still have no idea why they would partner up a male or female trainer and student. This is close Quarter living. The company that I was trainer at, Would only allow same sex trainers/students. It meant the women may have to wait longer to get on a truck, They tried to get more women trainers.

Looking at the impact, should something go wrong with a male or female trainer or student, It makes sense. The toll it would take on a person having advances made on them or worse and the lawsuits. It make no sense.

Not every man is an animal and women can take advantage too. Why take the chance?

I know it doesn't fit with the image of a trucker but I'm sure there are some gay truckers out there. A female should be with a female but they don't have to be if the male is gay. I'm just saying...I'm sure the female can live with that situation more so than a straight male who can't control his testosterone.

Falcon 1

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread