Ghost stories

I'm a freelance writer (done stuff for Freightliner, Western Star, Detroit, RoadPro etc.) working on an article for Halloween about ghost stories from the road involving haunted trucks, roads, truck stops etc. I know all about Large Marge from Pee Wee's Big Adventure. What's your best ghost story from the road?

i once was assigned a ghost truck. but soon after, i farted and the ghost died. but the smell lived on.

My third night driving, my trainer was in the sleeper and it was around 3am. I was driving down some back road state highway in Texas. The moon was bright enough to illuminate the light fog that crept across the highway like a snake slowly making its way. The air was crisp as the fog clung to the trees sparkling in the moonlight. I was tense from driving such long hours and my eyes were burning from my contact lenses. I rolled down the window to catch some of the clean warm wind that howled like a wolf in the forest as it screamed past my mirror. As I was coming around a corner, with my high beams on, having not seen another car for some miles, I see a dark figure standing on the shoulder of the road. Where I was driving, as I had not seen a car, there were also no houses in sight or any signs of population for many miles. So I began to ponder what this person was doing just standing on the shoulder of the road. I continued to accelerate as the turbo whistled like a jet engine powering up for take off, and noticed the figure to be a young colored boy of maybe 12 years old. He was wearing a pair of jeans and a flannel shirt. I only saw him from behind at first but when I got close, he turned around and had a look on his face that I will never forget. Wide eyes and furrowed brow. He looked as if he was drugged. But I wasn't about to stop. I have heard stories of kids breaking free from a captor or some stuff but this dude didn't bother waving me down or anything. He just looked at me me with this ghastly face. I woke my instructor up and he said he has come across strange figures on the side of the road as well.

Thought id embellish the story a bit.

My third night driving, my trainer was in the sleeper and it was around 3am. I was driving down some back road state highway in Texas. The moon was bright enough to illuminate the light fog that crept across the highway like a snake slowly making its way. The air was crisp as the fog clung to the trees sparkling in the moonlight. I was tense from driving such long hours and my eyes were burning from my contact lenses. I rolled down the window to catch some of the clean warm wind that howled like a wolf in the forest as it screamed past my mirror. As I was coming around a corner, with my high beams on, having not seen another car for some miles, I see a dark figure standing on the shoulder of the road. Where I was driving, as I had not seen a car, there were also no houses in sight or any signs of population for many miles. So I began to ponder what this person was doing just standing on the shoulder of the road. I continued to accelerate as the turbo whistled like a jet engine powering up for take off, and noticed the figure to be a young colored boy of maybe 12 years old. He was wearing a pair of jeans and a flannel shirt. I only saw him from behind at first but when I got close, he turned around and had a look on his face that I will never forget. Wide eyes and furrowed brow. He looked as if he was drugged. But I wasn't about to stop. I have heard stories of kids breaking free from a captor or some stuff but this dude didn't bother waving me down or anything. He just looked at me me with this ghastly face. I woke my instructor up and he said he has come across strange figures on the side of the road as well.

Thought id embellish the story a bit.

Not bad, not bad atall. :D

How about a "ghost story" that isn't really one?

This actually took place some years back up home in New Brunswick, Canada to yours truly. Just breaking daylight one early fall morning on the Trans Canada Hwy between Fredericton and Nacawick.
The road dips down and runs close to the St John River for about 4 miles. Very foggy along here until the sun gets up full.

Anyways, suddenly on my left I catch the front end of an airplane. Big sucker. No airports any where's near. Then it's gone in the fog again. Total mind freeze. WTF????

Up ahead I catch the tail lights of another truck. I call him up on the CB. First thing he says is "Did you see it too???" Well, at least I'm not the only crazy person out here this morning.

Turns out it was one of the WW2 Avengers that the Forestry folks use to spray for spruce budworm. His engine quit and he landed on that road the day before. No repair crew available, so they pushed it off into a driveway with it's nose pointing toward the highway. Engine/prop on those things are about 12 feet off the ground. After the fog lifted the repair guys got it running, RCMP blocked off the road and he took off again and flew the hundred miles back to their base.

Of course, by the time I came back through there there was no plane or any sign of one. Locals were... "airplane here??? Noooo...what would a plane be doing here???".... all straight faced and innocent. Was a good week or more before I found out the truth. Never even made the papers or evening news.

In Texas on one of those high speed secondary roads through hay growing country. Speed limit is like 75. Straight as an arrow. It was like 2am and real nice outside so I had my window down. All of a sudden I hear a Harley coming up on me but no lights. I freak out as it goes by me but I see nothing. Now I'm really freaking out some biker gang is screwing with me. Not too long after it happens again and again and again then it stops.

It wasn't until maybe a year or two later I'm in Texas again but in the daylight. I hear the Harley again and see that it's this V8 engine with no muffler used to pump water.

Back in Texas again on a secondary road at night and all of a sudden I see this teenager maybe 15 feet off the side of the road with a black hoodie on just standing there. Miles down the road same thing. Some were girls. All alone. I was freaking out. I called 911 and spoke to a woman dispatcher for the area. She knows about them and just as long as their off the highway she doesn't care.

Texas again early in the morning. All of a sudden a guy in the middle of the road with one leg on crutches. Holy CRAP!!! I call 911. They don't believe me. I'm on the side of the road about a mile up. I had pulled over. I told the police I would stay there until they came and could arrest me if I was lying. Three cruisers came. I could see them back there stopped so I blasted my air horn and left.

Arizona copper mine. Not sure which one but it's a wicked steep climb up the hill from the road. I load up and there's room to park at the bottom of their hill. I go to bed and wake up around midnight. I'm sitting there in my underware on the edge of my bed reading forums. I sort of saw something and pulled back my curtain. Coming down the mountain was flaming lava right towards me. I freaked. Here I am driving down the road in my underware and pull over and call 911. I'm flipping out telling dispatch the volcano has erupted and hot lava flowing down. The lady dispatcher is laughing her ass off at me. She asks if I can still see the mountain. I say yes but no lava. She said that's the slag from the copper mine they dump over the side. I watched for a while and saw them do it again. It only lasts for maybe 10 seconds then it goes out. I start bitching at the lady for laughing at me. She laughs even harder.

Colored and captor
Maybe he passed through a glitch in the space/time continuum and momentarily travelled 150 years back in time. o_O

Seriously though, what he probably means by "captor" is a modern day sex slave. Slavery is back on the rise in this country (and the entire world), and it's not limited to "colored" folks. The victims are kids your age of all races. Some even younger, mostly girls but some boys.

Coming down the mountain was flaming lava right towards me. I freaked. Here I am driving down the road in my underware and pull over and call 911. I'm flipping out telling dispatch the volcano has erupted and hot lava flowing down. The lady dispatcher is laughing her ass off at me. She asks if I can still see the mountain. I say yes but no lava. She said that's the slag from the copper mine they dump over the side.
:taunt:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread