Getting realistic with first year pay

Timecook

NTB Inc. is a local company that sent a rep to our school (I'm in my 5th day of a 5 week class). They're regional, servicing mostly Meijer and Target distribution centers-to-store, with some extras. I think they have ~225 trucks in service, which I guess is something like a lower-midsize as a company.

They only hire new drivers from approved schools (mine is CVTA accredited) and require a 90% or better GPA, so they are selective. Their rep seemed more realistic than the others we've gotten (from the guys with the posters on the walls). He said $2000-$2500 a month on average when the others 'promise' ~$3,500. NTB pays $.28 a mile plus incentives (short-haul bumps, quarterly safety, and quarterly MPG bonus) when others advertise $.31 or more for newbies. NTB has repetitive and familiar routes and aim for 5 days out, 2 days home, or a balance of that kind with extra paid on weekends. OTR companies seem sketchy about what they haul and where they haul to.. and I hear horror stories about sitting idle for days in a truck stop waiting for a job.

So, realistically, should I be satisfied with $2000-$2500 a month as a first year driver?

NTB Inc. is a local company that sent a rep to our school (I'm in my 5th day of a 5 week class). They're regional, servicing mostly Meijer and Target distribution centers-to-store, with some extras. I think they have ~225 trucks in service, which I guess is something like a lower-midsize as a company.

They only hire new drivers from approved schools (mine is CVTA accredited) and require a 90% or better GPA, so they are selective. Their rep seemed more realistic than the others we've gotten (from the guys with the posters on the walls). He said $2000-$2500 a month on average when the others 'promise' ~$3,500. NTB pays $.28 a mile plus incentives (short-haul, quarterly safety, and quarterly MPG bonus) when others advertise $.31 or more for newbies. NTB has repetitive and familiar routes and aim for 5 days out, 2 days home, or a balance of that kind with extra paid on weekends. OTR companies seem sketchy about what they haul and where they haul to.. and I hear horror stories about sitting idle for days in a truck stop waiting for a job.

So, realistically, should I be satisfied with $2000-$2500 a month as a first year driver?

If this is a livable wage for you while learning a new trade then .... you've answered your own question.

In my opinion the $3500 per month is conceivable with most companies but you will be out all month generally.

That rate sounds about right based on cpm and aprox 2500 miles. 2500 is good at the start trying to feel your way through the routes and customers. What loads work and what ones suck. You can get 3000+ but, everything in good time.

If you can live with $2000 - $2500 for a bit until you get in to the groove, You will be ok. No different from an experienced driver changing the name on their door. The CPM would be higher but you still have to prove yourself and learn the ins and outs of what pays and what doesn't.

Yeah. I want to get with a company I can trust... I'd like to be there longer than a year, but at minimum 6 months. I've got a link with a local FedEx Ground linehaul contractor (I was a switcher at a local terminal for a while), but pay there is a big unknown.

fedex in my opinion are one of the worst drivers out there, I see alot of accidents involving fedex

no, you just happen to drive by accidents involving FedEx trucks.

i can assure you that in my 25 years now, i have seen MANY truck accidents, and you wanna know what..??

not as many FedEx wrecks as you think..!!!

and for the record...??

i never have been or am not currently a FedEx driver..!!

Like folks told me, talk to some of the drivers from the different company's if you can to make sure there telling you the thruth.

Pay wise I'm starting in the .31+ range with home time every 3 to 10 days as well as local when needed, however after joining this forum and reading what others are saying I know I got real lucky.

You need to know more about the company you are looking into.

How often do you get pay raises?
Where does the pay scale top off at?

Also, how often do you want to be home?

$500-600/week is not good wages if you are staying out any length of time. It's not good wages period beyond training.

The companies coming to your school are often bottom feeders who constantly go through new drivers because they can't keep drivers.

There are better companies out there, but you have to seek them out.

Personally, I would set myself a small goal to land myself a job where the pay tops out over 40 cents per mile. Any company that can't pay at least that to an experienced driver doesn't belong to be in business.

This is the way I see it.

Your first year, you wont make a whole lot of cash BUT if you get your experience, remain accident, violation, and CSA clean, you will double your wages going into year two.

I cleared 50 my second year as a company driver.

This last year I drove, I made close to 73K.

I should say I was a LTL Line-Haul driver. Depends on what you get in to. I don't have a problem with FedEx other than the few drivers I know say the company is begging for a union.... I hate unions but when employees scream for a union, the company itself blows. Be careful.

If you want to run line-haul, look into the other non-union LTL companies. We made some pretty good money and got home almost everyday. I see you are in Michigan, look into Dayton Freight. I put in some time there and have nothing bad to say. Great benefits (company paid), solid pay package, city or line-haul, and the equipment was very well maintained. They have terminals in Detroilet, Jackson, Grand Rapids, Flint, and Kalkaska. I got solid miles there. You will need a year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread