Getting Back Into The Saddle

Mojo43

Howdy! Mike in SC here just wanting to get on the board. I received my CDL in 1991 after taking the truck driving class at a local Tech school. My cousin taught the class and being newly married and only having a night shift DJ job at a radio station, the career sounded great. Besides, I had a couple cousins who ha driven & I had always loved seeing those big rigs roll down the highway. After graduating my class, the only job I could find was spotting trailers for a company. It was kind of a let down but it did provide some excellent backing practice! It was about a year later that a friend of my parents who they went to church with was the wife of a veteran owner operator. He had always ran solo....SC to CA. He offered to take me on a a team driver with him and he explained and showed me things school did not. I drove with him for a little over a year but when my wife and I had our first child I came off OTR and took a local job. I've had local, more OTR, regional and even expedited jobs and they all were good to some degree. I was offered a job in dispatch and my life changed. Now I was on the other side..the dark side as I would call it when I was behind the wheel. I then moved into a operations manager position and it was great pay and 9-5 five days a week. All was good until the company decided to close operations. So, fast forward to 2013, I'm 43, still married to the same high school sweetheart and our kids are grown. I work at the parts counter for a Volvo/Porsche car dealer & pull the hours of 7:30 to 6:00 on salary with commission. We are struggling to stay above water financially now. When I renewed my CDL & got my new DOT physical, I got to thinking......I've got this CDL in my back pocket, I'm good on my physical and I still have diesel in my veins. I have a great friend who is a few years older and we have been talking about running as a team. We don't want to be out 2-3 weeks at a time but we do want to run the wheels off and get the job done! We talked about trying to find a company that runs lanes like SC to TX or SC to Midwest. A couple of those a week and all would be great!! I know we are wishing hard for that "perfect" job, but maybe we can find a company where we can maybe meet in the middle. All I know is that I want to drive, provide better for my family and get us out of this hole. Well, that about sums it up...it was a little wordy, but now you know about me and my plans. Praying every night that something opens up. Y'all take care and be safe out there!!

Welcome to truckers forum.

Finding the perfect company is seemingly impossible but it can be done.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread