Get ready for higher Internet bills

Biker

Yes, I am!
The trials will begin in Rochester, N.Y., and Greensboro, N.C., in August. The official tiers will be, according to Hobbs:

• A 1 GB per month tier offering speeds of 768 Kbytes downstream/128 Kbytes upstream for $15 per month. Overage charges will be $2 per GB per month. TWC's usage data show that about 30 percent of its customers use less than 1 Gbyte per month, Hobbs wrote.
• Road Runner Lite, Basic, Standard and Turbo packages will include expanded bandwidth caps to 10, 20, 40 and 60 GB, respectively, for the same price. Overage charges will be $1 per GB per month.
• A new 100 GB Road Runner Turbo package will be added, offering speeds of 10 MB/1 MB for $75 per month. Overage charges will be $1 per GB per month.
• Overage charges will be capped at $75 per month. "That means that for $150 per month customers could have virtually unlimited usage at Turbo speeds," Hobbs added.

For most users, this won't present a problem. However, for those of you that have DirectTV, this could be a huge increase in your bill. DirectTV uses your Internet connection to download "movies on demand" to your satellite box. And as the article states, only 30 percent of Time Warner's customers use less than 1GB per month. Considering the average movie easily exceeds 1GB, many could be seeing huge increases in their Internet bills.

You need to contact your provider and let them know how you feel about this. The FCC just received a huge cash infusion as well, and will be creating new policies on deploying broadband to rural areas. Contact the FCC as well and let them know that any new policy regarding broadband should reflect the customer's wishes and not those of the Internet Service Provider.

I'm paying over $130.00 per month right now for internet access at home (that's not counting my laptop card which costs me another $70.00)

I'm paying over $130.00 per month right now for internet access at home (that's not counting my laptop card which costs me another $70.00)

If i was you and i paid that much, i would put on a pair of golf pants and wHip myown ass. :biglaugh:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread