Four-hour parking limit in Virginia county

Mike

OOIDA member Dennis Sullivan was minutes away from being out of hours on Monday, June 30, when he pulled in to get his scale ticket at the Pilot Travel Center in New Kent, VA.

His plan was to stop and take his 10-hour break at the truck stop before heading back home to Marquand, MO, for the July Fourth holiday weekend. However, he said a sign he saw posted at the truck stop stopped him in his tracks.

“There were signs posted everywhere that said there was a four-hour maximum on parking because of a county ordinance that limits the number of hours trucks can park there,” Sullivan told Land Line on Wednesday, July 2.

“I couldn’t believe it because here I am, literally out of hours and needing to take my 10-hour break, and the next truck stop is more than 60 miles away from here. To get to the next truck stop, I would have to cross a scale out of hours.”

Sullivan said he immediately went in to talk to a manager about his dilemma. The truck stop staffer told him: “I have to post the ordinance, that doesn’t mean I have to enforce it.”

Source: Land Line

Has anybody ran into an issue at a truck stop where they were actually forced to leave after a certain time due to a rule like this?

State County Ordinance Conflicts With Federal Regulations

Here is a prime example of how our government, both state and federal, are creating problems for professional drivers. I'm trying to figure out how a circumstance like this one could even happen...let alone nobody taking the steps to correct it.

I have contacted Virginia county administrators and was told it's a county resident issue. There's nothing I can do since I'm not a county resident. And FMCSA won't return my calls or emails about this issue.

Truck stop quandary: Four-hour parking limit in Virginia county

-ss-

Merged these two threads together. Good to see others are actually paying attention to this issue.

Having experience with getting ordinances changed or rescinded, there are two ways.
1) you ask, plead, petition, etc. That rarely if ever works due to bribery and corruption.
(we are talking about Va. in this case)
2)You tell the commisioners their ordinance is illegal ( I usually cite U.S. constitution )
You then tell them if they wish to enforce an illegal act - go ahead and try. You are an American citizen and know your rights.
Most politicians don't have the balls for a fight - particularly if you swear to defend your rights to the death. ( I know, we're talkin about a parking space here - but it works everytime)

But I'll get a ticket - yes you will
But I'll get arrested - very possible
But I'll have to take off work to go to court - yes you will
But I'll have to get a lawyer - only if you can't read

The point is you have more rights than you realize and yes - freedom isn't free

This makes me wanna pull my hair out along with the rest of the other goofy things they are coming up with.

Read a sign out in Indy or somewhere the other day saying something about 10 hours break and 11 hours driving or something to the effect. Can't remember I was too tired and the sun was beaming me in the eye balls. It was in a rest area. I hate when I wake up and dont' know where I am LOL

OHHH where hubby parks his truck they REQUIRE you purchase 100 gallons of fuel BEFORE you can park there. Also if you do not sign the books and and fuel up you get towed. If you leave the truck there more than 24 hours you get towed.
If you drop your trailer there for any amount of time you get towed-we found out the hard way, we even told the manager and a few employees that we were parking it there to get the truck fixed. Then the trailer vanished when we came back for it a few hours later LOL. Nobody knew where it was.

Man, ya'll are pissin me off reading this stuff. I'm just glad no fool with a deathwish ever tried screwin with my life or property like that.

I know we got one battle at a time but...
Don,t these truckstops, for example, have to have trucks bring them their fuel, donuts, cofffee, etc?
Well if the truck don't make it or cant get to parking lot - I guess its time to close. Can you find out when deliveries are scheduled and make a plan for that day?
I know you can't stay there all month waiting but if you knew delivery schedule you could do some damage to any jackass that wants a 4hr limit or whatever silly sh_t. A little knowledge and planning goes a long way.

Wishful Thinking...

It makes this driver wish for a magic button (like the easy button) that could be used as follows; if some ignorant community leaders come up with some hair brained ideas, like a four hour parking limit, no jake braking allowed, no trucks in left lane, etc., etc., ad nausea, all the owner of the button would have to do is push it once, and WHAMO!! the inhabitants of said community would no longer receive the service of trucks, never, ever, again.

That'd teach 'em... :nono:

It makes this driver wish for a magic button (like the easy button) that could be used as follows; if some ignorant community leaders come up with some hair brained ideas, like a four hour parking limit, no jake braking allowed, no trucks in left lane, etc., etc., ad nausea, all the owner of the button would have to do is push it once, and WHAMO!! the inhabitants of said community would no longer receive the service of trucks, never, ever, again.

That'd teach 'em... :nono:

That would be nice

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread