Trucking News: FMCSA to ban commercial drivers convicted of human trafficking

Mike

Commercial drivers convicted of human trafficking will be permanently banned from operating a commercial motor vehicle, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration announced in a news release on Tuesday, Sept. 16.

“This is an important step in the departmentwide campaign to keep America’s roadways, railways, airways and waterways from being used for human trafficking,” U.S. Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao said in the news release.

The rule stems from the passage of the No Human Trafficking on Our Roads Act, which was introduced by Sen. John Thune, R-S.D. It will prohibit an individual from operating a commercial motor vehicle for life if the individual uses a commercial motor vehicle in committing a felony involving a severe form of human trafficking.

“The commercial motor vehicle industry is uniquely positioned to help detect and report human trafficking and, thankfully, professional drivers’ efforts often bring an end to these tragic situations. Sadly, however, some human trafficking activities are facilitated by the use of commercial trucks or buses,” FMCSA Administrator Ray Martinez said. “By enforcing a lifetime ban on any commercial motor vehicle driver convicted of severe human trafficking, we aim to deliver a strong and effective deterrent to this abhorrent behavior.”

While strongly against human trafficking, the Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association said there seems to be little justification for singling out commercial drivers.

Probably the first decent thing FMCSA has ever done.

Except this one should have been completely unnecessary because anyone convicted of human trafficking should be immediately hanged with barbed wire.

Trailer sealed when I pick it up and when I drop it off. If there's a pallet of shrink wrapped teenagers in there, I'd have no idea.
Doesnt mean the bastards wouldnt still blame ya for it

“Come on Bart, he’s supposed to know what hes haulin”

Well in the real world, some shippers dont really like drivers havin access to the freight. Plus some folks like shippin drugs with LTL carriers in crates and under BOLs marked “household goods”

Well in the real world, some shippers dont really like drivers havin access to the freight. Plus some folks like shippin drugs with LTL carriers in crates and under BOLs marked “household goods”
I always worry about that when I pick up a loaded, sealed trailer and have to bring it across the border. My next post may be for BAIL.

Well exactly how would you mark them?

SLC muthafukka.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread