Trucking News: FMCSA seeks specific input on HOS reform

Mike

In less than a week, nearly 1,000 comments have been received on the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s request for comments on possible reform of the hours-of-service regulations. However, not all may be hitting the mark.

The advance notice of proposed rulemaking was launched in part because of a petition submitted by the Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association. OOIDA petitioned FMCSA on Feb. 13 to amend the HOS rules to allow drivers to take a rest break once per 14-hour duty period for up to three consecutive hours if the driver is off-duty.

--------

The advance notice of proposed rulemaking on the hours of service lays out some very specific questions for commenters to address. Those submitting comments are asked to specifically answer the questions and to present any data or research they are aware of relevant to the question.

1. Short-haul operations.
2. Adverse driving conditions

3. The 30-minute break.
4. Split-sleeper berth.
5. OOIDA Petition
6. Trucker Nation Petition

Click this link for specific questions related to the above 6 topics: FMCSA seeks specific input on HOS reform

Comments are due Sept. 24. Click here to file comments electronically.

In less than a week, 1000 comments have been received. That number should be more than 1 Million folks. Take 5 minutes and post your comments where they can actually be heard, rather than just sitting back and whining about HOS and ELD's.

The truckers finally have the ball, and a chance to go on offense, yet 99% are doing absolutely nothing.

FMCSA seeks specific input on HOS.
:rolllaugh3:
Of course they do. Nothing drives home the point of the need for stricter rules than from the mouths of trucks drivers.

We don't get no time to stop in this race against the clock:confused: FMCSA answer, mandatory 30 minute break. a loss in revenue to drivers and owner ops.

Sure! Why in the hell would FMCSA not invite comments from drivers? Drivers make FMCSA's Case for their need for new regulations!:thumbsup:

I bet split sleeper berth gets passed because to hell with the millions of dollars spent on sleep study and ten years, TEN YEARS research when they passed the 10/11/14.

We don't get no time to stop in this race against the clock:confused: FMCSA answer, mandatory 30 minute break. a loss in revenue to drivers and owner ops.

• If the 30-minute rest break rule did not exist, would drivers obtain adequate rest breaks throughout a daily driving period to relieve fatigue?
  • Are there alternatives to the 30- minute rest break that would provide additional flexibility to drivers while achieving the safety benefits goal of the current 30-minute break?
  • If a rest break is retained, should it be taken off-duty or on-duty while the driver is not driving?
  • How does the 30-minute rest break affect the efficiency of operations from a driver’s or a carrier’s perspective?
  • How would your suggestions affect the costs and benefits of the 30-minute break?
Those are the specific questions being asked by the FMCSA in regards to comments about the 30 minute break.

All joking aside, they are providing a much better opportunity for discussion of this very important topic this time. We can only hope for a better outcome than what we have had for decades.

• If the 30-minute rest break rule did not exist, would drivers obtain adequate rest breaks throughout a daily driving period to relieve fatigue?
  • Are there alternatives to the 30- minute rest break that would provide additional flexibility to drivers while achieving the safety benefits goal of the current 30-minute break?
  • If a rest break is retained, should it be taken off-duty or on-duty while the driver is not driving?
  • How does the 30-minute rest break affect the efficiency of operations from a driver’s or a carrier’s perspective?
  • How would your suggestions affect the costs and benefits of the 30-minute break?
Those are the specific questions being asked by the FMCSA in regards to comments about the 30 minute break.

All joking aside, they are providing a much better opportunity for discussion of this very important topic this time. We can only hope for a better outcome than what we have had for decades.
I was not joking when I was describing truckers being their own worst enemy:clap::bonk:

In less than a week, 1000 comments have been received. That number should be more than 1 Million folks. Take 5 minutes and post your comments where they can actually be heard, rather than just sitting back and whining about HOS and ELD's.

The truckers finally have the ball, and a chance to go on offense, yet 99% are doing absolutely nothing.
i'd say something, (on that link) if i wasn't going to be retiring soon.

as it is, we ALL had so many opportunities to do something decades ago, but failed to do so.

in the end, the government will do as they please, or are (nearly) forced into it by the larger numbers of people that hate us, and think they know what's best for us.

this HOS situation, really doesn't affect me now, and frankly, hasn't for the job(s) i have had the past 2 decades (at least).

i feel no sympathy for those that have to suffer, because like i said, we all had the chance to make changes, and just blabbered at the truckstop counter, or on the cb radio.

those of us that wanted to make changes, were powerless, as our numbers were small.

lather up with the ky drivers, you're all gonna take it up the ass, due to your self righteous, independant, "screw that, i ain't got no time, someone else can do it" speech...

and there just ain't NO ONE ELSE......

It's pretty pathetic. As of today, there were about 4600 comment submitted. Couple hours left before the commenting period closes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread