Flatbed Trucking

Maia

I was asked today if I would like to drive flatbeds for Swift. It only pays $.01 more per mile... but I know that can add up. Running an average of 2500 miles per week that's only $25 extra per week. It doesn't seem like its worth all the extra work... but I could be wrong.

Also I am a brand new driver, I haven't even passed my CDL test yet. Seems kind of irresponsible to ask me to haul giant coils right after mentorship.

Any thoughts?

I would not consider it for a penny a mile. maybe a dime a mile.

I started on flats in 1990. I had my fill after the first full winter and North Dakota/ Minnesota winters.

After about a year of OTR I leased to an outfit who ran both van & flat loads.
A guy with similar exp was blown off a 13' load of sheet insulation while tarping and nearly died. I never had any interest in flat-bedding after that.

I've known 6 or 8 people over the years who were out with injuries for an extended time or disabled completely from injuries related to tarping or securing high loads.

I'd recommend getting comfortable with driving before you leap into flats.

I started out in flats hauling coils, pipe, PVC pipe, bar stock and lumber. Skateboards are not like box trailers but at the same time, they have their own qwerks. Sometimes, it's just easier to start right out with those and learn them out of the chute than getting into bad habits.

Folks have yelled at me on the CB for taking a clover leaf too slow., "Sorry, you can take it too slow all you want. You can only take it too fast once." They never say another word.

Same with hauling coils and other stuff on flats.

In this game, it's ALL about respect. Respect the load, respect the road, respect the weather and respect other idiots on the road.

Do that, and you'll go home every night.

Last edited:
Tell them u want to haul shiney hiney chicken wagons. If you still plan on running team. You should be able to rack up the miles, but I guess you can rack up the miles with a lot of drop n hook dry freight as well. I don't think flatbed is very team friendly. Plus it's to much like work.

I love me some Skateboarding, But I can tell you running teams with flatbeds Pay's really good. And even a penny more a mile is good because when your adding $25.00 to $1000.00 thats a lot definetly when you dont have to pay for fuel or truck repair

Swift pays you for tarping, too. I don't know how much. Tarping is more about body mechanics than raw strength, but you would get stronger from the work.

It'll be an individual decision. If you start in flats and don't like it, you can switch to boxes.

Used to be an ol'bat like me running flats for Swift named Heidi. She was also a trainer. I don't know whether she's still around. She loved what she was doing.

You don't need a lot of strength unless you plan to man handle stuff. I don't even do that. No reason to. Forklift drivers will always lift your tarps up, workers will also help lift them or another driver. Chains are heavy but you only pick up one end, not the whole chain. If that little tard Lisa on Ice Road Truckers can do it, you can too.

You will encounter much more friendly people pulling a flat. Easier places to get in and out of. You get to be right next to some awesome things. Crains, trains, planes.....ARG ARG ARG.

Tim-Taylor-Home-Improvement-Tool-Ti.jpg.gif

Flat bed trucking is hard work and for $25 bucks more they can keep it, not worth it. I pulled flat for 5 years and box trailer is better pulled most all trailers, cow trailer is best, but that is me. all in all you do what you think is best for you ,you can always change later on.

Neh, For that kind of money I would not bother, Sure they pay for tarping but so does everyone else. I would get used to trucking first hauling a box, Then when you get that experience you can move to flats and for better money than a penny a mile.
I am no flatbed expert by any means. In my **** ant lumber load experience, it is not about brute strength. It is about being as lazy as possible, By that I mean you will find the easiest way to do things, just be sure they are done right.

I actually gained weight doing flat. it could be muscle weighs more than fat. I doubt that was the reason.

Hey get a step counter and check your steps from the first day to when you figure out the best way that works for you, Just for fun.

I was asked today if I would like to drive flatbeds for Swift. It only pays $.01 more per mile... but I know that can add up. Running an average of 2500 miles per week that's only $25 extra per week. It doesn't seem like its worth all the extra work... but I could be wrong.

Also I am a brand new driver, I haven't even passed my CDL test yet. Seems kind of irresponsible to ask me to haul giant coils right after mentorship.

Any thoughts?

Don't bother flatbedding for Swift.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread