Flatbed Equipment (Chains, binders, straps, etc.)

Hey gang.
I'm doing some research on chains and binders, and I'm wondering if there is a most common solution.
What kind of chains and binders do you use for your work? What lengths, what thickness, and in what form? Do you buy them as complete chains with hooks, or do you assemble them yourself from a barrel or spool? What kind of loads require them?

Also curious as to what kind of straps are most common. We work mostly with 4" x 30' flat hook straps, but it seems to vary depending on region (California has to use the loop end straps, I think)

I appreciate any insight you are willing to give!

Thanks

Jaron

That’s a pretty broad question, it seems to vary from company to company but also from country to country.

Canadians seem to use mostly 3” x 30’ chain end straps. Americans seem to use mostly 4” x 30’ straps with the flat hook end. Same WLL for some odd reason. Probably 12-18 is common per truck or trailer

We both use a lot of 2” straps with hand ratchets, probably 4-8 is common per truck or trailer

Most places consider 10-12 5/16” chains, 20’ long, with the same number of binders a pretty standard load out.

Every company does things differently. Personally I wouldn’t leave out without a couple 3” or 4” hand ratchets. Then there’s corner protectors, tarp straps, winch bars, tarp padding, etcetera.

For me, personally, I try to avoid Chinese chains and binders. I’ve broken Chinese snap binders before. But, to most companies it’s all about cheap cheap cheap. I doubt you could find any strap manufacturers who still make made in the USA straps.

Thank you for the reply. Yeah, I guess I'm interested to know what people themselves use, and then see if there's any commonality there.

For me, personally, I try to avoid Chinese chains and binders. I’ve broken Chinese snap binders before. But, to most companies it’s all about cheap cheap cheap. I doubt you could find any strap manufacturers who still make made in the USA straps.

Yeah, I'm not trying to fool with being responsible for someone's load spilling out onto the highway, so we do like to keep some US Made 4" straps on hand

What do you use for tarp padding? We're in south carolina, so I imagine Ontario's functional considerations are very different from the american bible belt's, but still...

Thank you for the reply. Yeah, I guess I'm interested to know what people themselves use, and then see if there's any commonality there.

Yeah, I'm not trying to fool with being responsible for someone's load spilling out onto the highway, so we do like to keep some US Made 4" straps on hand

What do you use for tarp padding? We're in south carolina, so I imagine Ontario's functional considerations are very different from the american bible belt's, but still...
Flatbed - What’s in your box?

Check that out. I also carry moving blankets, as do a lot of guys

For chains I carry four 8’ and two 12’ 3/8” chains. One grab and one slip hook on each.
Eight 12’ 5/16 chains, most with one grab and one slip hook. Ten 20’ 5/16” chains, all grab hooks. I hardly ever bust out the long chains.
Ten snap binders and four ratchet binders.
Mostly Columbus-McKinnon or Crosby/Lebus. I only buy USA made chain

I carry six small shackles, and two larger ones.

And when it comes to hand ratchets I prefer the short flat hook kind, but I’m weird like that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread