Flatbed advantages

Patrick

:headscratch:

I just got my CDL from a CDL Mill and am looking for my first job.

Don't get on me about the Mill because it was all I could afford and I realize I don't know a damn thing about trucking, but I want to learn.

Any suggestions in regard to a first time job?

Also, I was thinking that flat-beds might be a good idea for me since I don't want to do much or any loading/unloading and it seems that flat-beds with their lower profile might be a little safer to pull (center of gravity, etc.)?

Like to have some feed back from you experienced drivers.

Thank you,

Patrick

I'm not lazy, I'm 63 years old.

The less loading and unloading I have to do, the better for me.

I don't mind paying for a lumper, it was just that flat-beds seem to offer less material handling than other trailers and suits my situation better.

I would also like to hear about the safety factors versus flat-bed and van?

Patrick my best advice to you if you want in the FlatBed industry is going with Maverick. I have heard A LOT of good things about them, more good than bad actually. And they will teach you what you need to know. But if you are going to do it do it right.

And with flatbed it is kinda hard work tarping loads and whatnot when you first start out and chaining/straping is a bit on the labor side BUT it will keep you in shape. I have help my husband on the flat bed when he would run it, I was pregnant and it didn't bother me however our daughter is meaner than all get out!!! lol

If you don't want to do tarps, go with a covered wagon LOL

Sometimes depending on the company you can get a no-touch freight job pulling van. Just please talk around and discuss it. A lot of drivers are in and out of this forum and they are pretty good people that can offer amazing advice.

i think you meant a "curtain side", as "covered wagons" also require fighting tarps and sides. flatbedding is by no means a easy job to do, and if thats what your looking for i'd advise against it.

besides fighting tarps you'll haul a wide variety of freight, which you have to figure out the best, and most importantly, safest way to secure it to the bed. this is not always as easy as it seems!!

the center of gravity is comparable to a van/refer, if the loads are similar but a good top heavy load and the way flat beds are designed really changes alot. im not sure how to describe what im thinking, but a van trailer uses a flat king-pin plate where a flat is elevated and much smaller, allowing the trailer to "rock" on the fifth wheel in a jack-knife senario.

but according to your post, i'd give you a a+++ on being safety minded, but dont underestimate the workload of flatbedding

yeah thats a " covered wagon" i was just trying to clarify to the o.p. that a covered wagon still requires tarping, not calling you wrong.

Well call it what it is. Covered wagon and curtainside are two totally different animals. Anyone that doesn't know that obviously doesn't know what one of the other is!!!!! You were right for your earlier post. I just got one question, though. Is Maverick a sponsor of this site? I only ask 'cause it seems like everyone speaking on flatbed issues has to pull Maverick out of there a**. I got nothing against them, as I would never pull a flatbed again, I've graduated past that bs. Anyone ever heard of TMC, Boyd Bros, Lonestar, ATS, Roehl, SMX, Melton, or Arrow to name a few. They may not be good companies and I don't know, but if Maverick was soooo good, wouldn't everyone be working for them??? Just asking that's all........Peace.:tiphat:

I do flatbed work in the UK and Europe. It's better than any other work. You can stretch it out to 85 foot long, or stick a 15 foot wide pipe on it. Ok ropeing and sheeting is dirty work, but it pays more. If you can't rope and sheet in ireland then your not going to get a good paying job.The good irish drivers were doing flatbed work when they were on there school holidays.
But if people don't know the difference between a curtain sider and a flatbed then they should be charged "for typing under the influence of alchohol" lol

But Patrick. flatbed work can be hard work. I do 2500 miles per week average. but i also tip and load the trailer up to 10 times in that week. I wouldn't want to be doing this type of work when i'm your age. nice bit of fridge work that's easy. but in the UK we get treated very bad on that work.

Is it true that flatbedders don't have to worry about bridge clearances like van haulers do?

no. simply put. flatbed and van trailers are still hauled by a tractor and in many instances they are the same height. and don't forget about the smoke stack on the flat top tractors also.

Is it true that flatbedders don't have to worry about bridge clearances like van haulers do?

I would say in most cases yes, but with the heights of many flatbed trailers today, you can't haul tall objects without getting in trouble. Think about what the van trailers are like. They have a taller storage area inside, and to do this they are lowering the suspension height and running low profile tires to do it. Older flatbeds sit high compared to vans today on deck height

I would say in most cases yes, but with the heights of many flatbed trailers today, you can't haul tall objects without getting in trouble. Think about what the van trailers are like. They have a taller storage area inside, and to do this they are lowering the suspension height and running low profile tires to do it. Older flatbeds sit high compared to vans today on deck height

i disagree. your not putting in the factor of the tractor. and have you been up in Pa lately ? so many roads have bridges that aren't marked to tell the height of it. i say it's better to be safe than sorry. i sure as hell wouldn't want to explain to my employer why i hit some overpass or bridge. if in doubt , find another route.

If you are looking to not work hard, do not flat bed. The smallest tarps weigh 90 pounds, add ice, snow, water over 150 at least. That can wear on you after dropping them over the load and driving all day. Not to mention if snow covered the tops are like skating rinks and falling off is sometimes a good distance, the bungee cords can break loose and take out an eye. I you really want just to drive, go with Van or Reefer. Some grocery chains charge for lumpers, but that is the way it goes, if your company does not know the game, go elsewhere. If your load is from a Broker, check to see if you can get paid to lump it yourself. I send a truck twice a week to SLC, I give my guy an extra $25 per DC center, to lump himself. Each trip has 5 stops, not bad considering no taxes, an extra $250 per week

Trailers are easily available on auction websites and you can choose from a wide range. The most common colors in which these machines are available are red, black, yellow, charcoal and green. Their bright colors and unique shape make them stand out from other machines.

You must keep in mind that the trailer you buy must not only be durable but should be easy to use. Some of these trailers are made so complicated that not even professionals can use them properly. If you really want a big help and hand in the construction work you are planning to do, then a gooseneck flatbed trailer is a must have for you.
I'm sorry but WHAT?

WTF?

Why would anyone think that flatbed work is easier than dry van or reefer? And where does a person get the idea that flatbed rigs have lower overhead clearance? If anything, a flatbed truck has potential for a taller and wider load than any other type of truck. And from my oh so limited experience, a driver works harder with flatbed work than any other type of hauling.

I looked at Madona's other posts and there is a lot of comments about tarps and such, but no actual links to other sites or contact information. Just weird and cryptic comments that really don't have much to do with the thread subject.

Then this jrwork69 guy talking about hauling foam insulation from Salt Lake City to Denver at "16.4", what the hell is 16.4?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread