Fix tears in Tarp.

Very true it just takes practice.How longs it take u to tarp a load about a half hr?

It all depends on what is being tarped. Sometime, including the prep time, it can take hours. Even more time in the wind or other adverse conditions. Prep time includes padding the load and putting edge/corner protectors on the load to protect your tarps.

Gees awhole of work.But I imagine its all routine for u and comes easy.I tried the flatbed once upon a time and hated it.
It all depends on what is being tarped. Sometime, including the prep time, it can take hours. Even more time in the wind or other adverse conditions. Prep time includes padding the load and putting edge/corner protectors on the load to protect your tarps.

I think my favorite load to tarp is vinyl siding, and the place I used to pick it up at, if you did not have your tarp on the deck, ready, the fork lift driver would be long gone and you would have to clime up to the top of the load with it on your back, anybody ever haul that stuff knows you can not step on it and the one inch slats they use to keep the pile together is four to eight feet apart, it didn't even pay that well

Loaded the same load in Kearney, MO. I hated it with a passion. If you were there during the day there were other drivers to help, if you went in the evening, you were on your own.

A guy who hauled for the same broker as me picked up his first load of the stuff, he did not realize you had to strap it down only on the wooden frames, he cranked it down( I don't know why he did not see it collapsing the packaging, maybe he did not care) and took off, he dumped the load on an off ramp up the road a ways, that stuff ain't cheap either

About the longest tarp job for me was 2 days,,,, 11 (yes eleven) 24x28 tarps.
load was 88 ft long x 28ft wide x 16 ft high.

I had to tarp an oversized here at ATS once.

I've pretty much sworn it off forever. I might post pics sometime. It's pretty late. But, I destroyed four tarps within 200 miles. I thought I did a decent job until I got past 45 miles an hour and they parachuted on me. After a day and a half of loading, single digit temps, and being soaking wet on top, I'd simply had enough though, so I just sent a message that I was pulling the things, and that was that.

I have done some pretty ugly tarp jobs on some oversize loads over the years. I remember paying two guys to help me once and it still took us 11 hours. If I could figure out how to post a picture on here, I would show you a couple of them.

Honestly, some of the crap they want us to tarp out here is just stupid. Half the time the stuff ends up sitting outside in the rain after it gets unloaded anyway. I also love talking to the broker that booked the load when I get to the customer and am told it needs to be tarped. Usually the broker says, "I told hime we would tarp it." I usually ask them when they will arrive to start helping, as "WE" need to get on it so "I" can hit the road.

My fleet manager at ATS pulls the "we" crap all the time too. Makes me grit my teeth every time. Oh, I've been on that side of the desk too, and I know that's not an easy gig, but still...

anyway...as far as repairing ATS tarps, I'm nto sure it's worth it. These things really are junk. I had a load out of L.A. last week, and I was able to almost yank the little brass rings fromt eh BRAND NEW tarp just by pulling on a bungee. At least they're not that heavy though. My last job, the lumbers were 8 ft drops and 160lbs each. Good times.

I have done some pretty ugly tarp jobs on some oversize loads over the years. I remember paying two guys to help me once and it still took us 11 hours. If I could figure out how to post a picture on here, I would show you a couple of them.

not that hard to post pic's
Just set up an account here http://photobucket.com/ (it's FREE"!
Then upload your pic's from the laptop to the account, then under the pic's that you have loaded ,you will find a drop-down menu, highlight the "IMG " code. it will look like this
. and "copy" & " paste" that to the post..

it should come out looking like this

View attachment 11082

Hope I didn't **** anybody off by posting this info.
View attachment 11082

not that hard to post pic's
Just set up an account here Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket (it's FREE"!
Then upload your pic's from the laptop to the account, then under the pic's that you have loaded ,you will find a drop-down menu, highlight the "IMG " code. it will look like this
. and "copy" & " paste" that to the post..

it should come out looking like this

View attachment 11083

Hope I didn't **** anybody off by posting this info.
Ilike mustard on my burger...lol....That's pretty cool..
View attachment 11083

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread